+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #414

And Tim looking rather pleased to be holding a big chunk of my floor in his hands...

For what it's worth, the cockpit floor was solid as a rock and seemed very well put together and supported.
    Attached Images  
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

He had a handy little drill bit to center a pilot hole for the pilot hole - if that makes sense. It made for very quick and accurate work of the screw holes. I must get one.

You can see how much easier it will be to get into the bowels of the boat now...
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by mbd; 07-16-2005 at 07:32 PM.
    Mike

Thumbs up

The cockpit AFTER the hatch is installed (with LOTS of butyl sealant)...
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by mbd; 07-16-2005 at 07:44 PM.
    Mike

Some more pictures of the installed hatch...

Thanks Tim!
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by mbd; 07-16-2005 at 07:44 PM.
    Mike

Thumbs up nice install

great access !! Fits in there real nice..looks good.

cockpit floor hatch

Great to meet Tim. We are so chary of portraits on this board, it's great to see the man.

But also, this series of photos you have here is just the kind of sharing that is so useful for others to have. It's a perfect addition to an inaccessable part of the boat that others should seriously consider! Let's hope it don't leak.* Too much.

Thanks, guys!

*talking bomar not yer expertise!
    Last edited by ebb; 07-17-2005 at 08:54 AM.

Thumbs up

[size=2]Looks like a first rate fit!

If I had an inboard, (especially the diesel you have that I would dearly love) I think I should look for this same modification.

Tim Lackey certainly has MUCH more experience then I, but there are two issues I did not see addressed in the install that you might want to think about.

The cockpit is a very wet area, it does not just take water with large breaking waves, but every rain that falls. I did not see (maybe you just left it out) any caulking used to seal the hatch to the deck. Water intrusion past the flange will cause you much heartache down the road.

The other issue was the bare core exposed by the sawing. Should moisture find it's way to this, it could soften the entire cockpit floor in short order. A good example of how to deal with this potential problem can be seen in Kurt's installation of a Hawsepipe aboard #422

Again, Tim Lackey (and others on this board like Mike and... ok most of this board) have more experience then I so they may have other suggestions. I think the project is a great addition to the already great boat you have got a hold of.

[/size]
    Last edited by c_amos; 07-17-2005 at 05:30 PM.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Craig, good points!

Jeeze, I'm wondering now if I should have asked Tim's permission to post this in case someone comes away from it thinking he's not as thorough and meticulous as he is!

My bad. Yes, I did leave some pictures out. I stupidly was trying to "abbreviate" the process.

We used butyl sealant - LOTS of it! He also counter sunk (?) the screw holes in the fiberglass to allow the sealant to ooze into those recesses and also left it over the screw heads when all was said and done.

As for the exposed core, our main concern of the morning was to get the hatch in so I could get at the stern tube to try and apply a temporary patch. He commented on me "properly" sealing the exposed core in the off-season and in the mean time completely slathered the the core areas with yet more butyl sealant. He used an entire tube.

Here he is with a zealous blob around the lip and slathering the exposed core...
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by mbd; 07-18-2005 at 05:16 AM.
    Mike

sealant

from the pic , I would say your sealant was 'liberally' applied !! Let us know how it all fairs out after some sun,rain and waves.Looks good

A-414 threads merged: Ariel #414 and 414 hatch.

Smile

With stern tube, cutlass bearing and propeller shaft repairs behind and hopefully soon forgotten, it's time to get on to more important things!
    Attached Images  
    Mike

Ps

The cockpit hatch was a timely and vastly worthwhile improvement! I cannot imagine trying to work on the innards below the cockpit without it. If you're thinking about installing one and wondering if it'll be worth it - JUST DO IT!

I can't speak for the water tightness yet, since I have improperly non-bedded hardware all over the deck and coach roof which is undoubtedly the primary source of my water intrusion...
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mbd
    I can't speak for the water tightness yet, since I have improperly non-bedded hardware all over the deck and coach roof which is undoubtedly the primary source of my water intrusion...
    Don't forget the hull to deck joint That one can be a major source -- if you get your top rail down.

Ah, yes. Well, after the leak below the waterline was fixed I figured I'd start from the top down. I'll get to the rub rail eventually.

Speaking of rub rails, there was a nice rub rail on a beautifully restored Triton going around the Triton list last week - Jim Bissonnette's Triton 557. Never seen this done before, but I like it!

Let's see if I can find it. Yes, here it is...
    Attached Images  
    Mike

Mike, thanks for posting some sailing pictures. Its nice to see these boats in the water. She looks great!

Hey! Jim added more pictures to the Triton MIR site too. We've been studying his head/shower, trying to glean information from the pictures. But I didn't find the picture you posted above. What list is that from?

+ Reply to Thread