+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ariel #414

Hybrid View

How did it go?

Pictures?

Hey Tim. No pictures, sorry. But, launch day went very smoothly, thanks.

Yesterday was mast stepping day. I took the afternoon off and joined a couple of other sailboats at the club to do the deed. We waiting all afternoon for the wind to die down, and it was 6:30 PM when it was finally my turn. I took the launch out to my boat to head in to the crane. I opened to raw water seacock, turned the key and with great anticipation, pushed the button to start the engine. ...Nothing. No turning over, just nothing. It ran and started perfectly the day before.

So, instead of rigging the boat my next trip out there, I'll be bringing Nigel Calder, Don Casey and Mr. Manual to troubleshoot my starting issues.

BTW, nice looking website! (http://www.fuji32.com/page_home.html)
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Good to hear the launch went smoothly. There is always that moment with me where even though I know it will float, I expect the worst.

I ran into a similar situation this spring running mine on shore. The throttle for my diesel needs to be set back to neutral in order for it to start. I would throttle down some and then turn the key off, then pull the stop cable to turn the engine off. I couldn't turn it over again unless I put the throttle back in the neutral position. I don't know exactly how it works, but it appears to reset something. Hopefully your problem is as simple solve.

Thanks for the website plug. Once I have more material it should fill right up.

Thanks for the thought Tim. I went down this weekend with your angle in mind, thinking I had missed something, but to no avail. Eventually, I DID get it going though. As a last ditch effort, before I started dismantling everything, I thumped the solenoid with a rubber hammer, powered up, pushed the button, and vroooom! Go figure. Looks like I'll be needing a solenoid.

Hopefully, the mast will go up THIS weekend...
    Mike

It's the old "hit it with a hammer" trick. I have tried that on most things I work on to no avail. Glad to see it worked for you

BTW-Excalibur Launch date is confirmed for 6-14. There was a 6-13 spot open, but being a sailor I was too superstitious to take it! The plan is still to head north on the monday after the 4th of July with Casco bay in our sites the end of that week. You should pm me your cell number so we can do some coordination.

Nothing wrong at all with 6-13 - that's my son's b-day!

I'll be in touch...
    Mike

Finally!

At last the new season is here!!
    Attached Images  
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread