+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ariel #414

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Hope it's not as complicated as it sounds, nor as expensive.
    Me too - and hopefully not a "disaster"!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Algae in my tank, OH NO!!

Mike,
    I know this may be long winded but..... Once Algae is in your tank you have one of two choices, kill it or starve it.
    Kill it, you have to treat with a biocide, this stuff is very dangerous for you to use, think totally suited up and don't get any of this on your skin or breathe it either. This difficult for an individual to purchase.
    Starve it, All the water moisture has to be removed from the fuel and kept out long enough to starve the algae, I can't tell you how long that is , it depends on the algae, probably 3 or 4 weeks ( although forever would be good) Go to a NAPA type parts store and buy fuel additive that removes moisture, in ME anyone that sells diesel will have the stuff, my favorite brand is HOWES but any will work. Drain the water out if you can ,replace filters and run engine. You may want to consider a fuel/water seperator for your boat if you don't already have one. Keep your fuel tank full and use the correct amount of fuel conditioner for several weeks and your problem will be solved.
    I might add here a test for algae or simply sludge, drain some out of the filter and smear on a cloth. spray this gunk with a degreaser or starting fluid. If it dissolves it is just gunk, if the cleaner does nothing to it , it is algae.
    That's my "short" answer!!

Carl thanks for the reply! Also, I was just assuming all the black floaties in the watery fuel I was draining was algae. I'll certainly take your advice for future use, but this time around, being that the boat is still at the boatyard out on an island and difficult to get to, I elected to go the "call the boatyard" route. I've been pleased with their responsiveness and have no doubt they'll do it properly. I'm just worried, as Ebb mentioned above, what the final invoice will look like...
    Last edited by mbd; 05-25-2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Sorry to hear of the troubles Mike. I'll be putting in around June 9 and bringing her over to the mooring that weekend. Ed

Mike,
    Sorry for your troubles.
    This is a common problem, the internal tanks are usually way too big and you can never burn through a tank in a year. the fuel gets treated in the fall, a gallon or two are added in the spring, on and on. pretty soon the mean average age of the fuel in the tank is five years.
    What I like to do is ditch the inboard tank completely and add a 3 gallon outboard tank complete with squeeze bulb. you do need to add a fuel return line by installing a brass barbed fitting from the hardware store or better yet another fuel quick disconnect. The squeeze bulb helps with bleeding the engine after filter changes etc. With this tank you can take it home with you to fill it, easily inspect the fuel and ditch any remaining fuel at the end of the year. The whole set up will run ya about $75.00. On a long voyage, just bring more tanks.
    Mike
    C227

+ Reply to Thread