Thread: Ariel #414

Threaded View

yea, I'd call them too!

It is not unlikely that misbatched epoxy will go off eventually, just a matter of time. Don't do anything radical yet! Might depend on how far off your part A to your part B was.... Call the product tech! Maybe the set can be speeded up with a heat gun.

Project looks first class!

Instead of the pumps you might try the graduated translucent plastic quart containers that most alternative suppliers have. I get mine from TAP. Ounces and milleliters printed on the straight sided container makes it simple to get the proportions visually.

You go for the amount of epoxy you think you need (in your case) marking off with a sharpie 5 measures plus one measure - whether they're 2 oz each, 1 oz each, 1/2 oz or milliliter multiples. It's no brainer, I make myself mark off the proportions every time I mix a batch: 5 equal spaces to one equal space, whatever the quantity.

(I'm a two to one fan, but the point is you look at, actually thru, the container as you pour Part A up to the 5 part mark -where I've made a longer line with the marker - and then top off with the hardner. This would work especially well if you are using epopxies with differing proportions.

The marker lines wipe off with denatured alcohol, my cleanup solvent of choice. I'll often clean out the container with paper towel/rags and use it again. Depends on the timing. I keep similar 1/2 gal buckets to mix powders into a batch: silica, fairing compound.

I have trouble trusting the pumps. If you keep them in the cans over a period of time, Part A will gum up and the squirts will not be true measure. Also if you have the cans around for awhile you want to screw the cap on. What do you do with the pumps? Toss em? Unless you want to go thru the mess of cleaning them and wasting solvent.)
    Last edited by ebb; 09-01-2006 at 05:20 AM.