+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ariel #414

Hybrid View

We got the mast up Sunday afternoon along with two others at the club. No major mishaps, fortunately, other than me pulling the unconnected masthead light wires into the mast when trying to secure the wires at the base for connecting later. I was so annoyed about that I forgot to connect the antenna for the radio...

Our "first trip" plans are not nearly so ambitious as yours, Tim. I'm just planning nice short day sails and work my way through the "kinks" before I head too far with the family. I'm insanely jealous of your Summer work schedule!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    I'm insanely jealous of your Summer work schedule!
    I worked at a yacht club as a steward and launch operator while in college at the yacht club we are now members of. It gave me a real opportunity to meet great people and observe many different life styles. There were those with the large beautiful yachts, yet they were too busy and stressed to use them as they were working too hard to pay for them. They would get used during the "planned" weekends when it was raining anyway so it was miserable for them I'm sure. Then there were those who had smaller, less polished boats that were paid for, and their work schedule allowed them to spend more time onboard. They seemed the happiest and I liked the idea of sailing a small unpolished boat that's paid for all summer, all over the place, rather than being a slave to say a $100,000 Cape Dory 36 attached to a mortgage. I looked for the best job to fit this criteria and fell into teaching. As challenging as my job is (and it is), the perk of summers off is unbelievable at times. Fortunately my wife works as an elementary school teacher in the same district so our schedule is the same which allows us to be together all summer.

We are still planning on going up to Casco Bay this summer Mike, and I would love to get our families together. I will certainly keep you updated. I'm glad you got the mast up with only a little annoyance. When we put our mast up last weekend I accidentally had the backstay passed through the space between the masthead and the spreader despite having checked everything before lifting. It wasn't until I started attaching the stays that this error was obvious. Needless to say it took some creative throwing, pulling, untwisting, etc. to work it back to where it needed to be without compromising the supports holding up the mast. I had temporary stays up as we reworked everything. It was stressful and frustrating that such a small oversight could lead to such a situation. We have ALL had interesting experiences with our boats and those experiences add to the lore that goes with owning one. Besides it makes for great beer talk down the road. I'm loaded with stories about things I screwed up, broke, lost, or put on wrong so be prepared when we do have beer talk
    Last edited by Tim Mertinooke; 06-19-2007 at 06:09 AM.

Mmmmm... Beer.

Keep me posted on your schedule. Weekends are pretty limited in the Summertime for us 9-5ers... And BTW, where the heck does N-I-N-E to 5 come from?? My freakin' work day starts at 8!
    Mike

A good day

The shakedown sail...
    Attached Images  
    Mike

...with my friend Scott. No genoa tracks installed yet, but the stanchion bases worked just fine.
    Attached Images  
    Mike

The family sail...
    Attached Images  
    Mike

With company of course.
    Attached Images  
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread