+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Admeasurment/Tonnage

Hybrid View

Admeasurment/Tonnage

Has anyone here had his/her Ariel documented? If so, what is the Gross Tonnage listed? I know I can figure it out, but I was hoping someone else had already done so.
    Thanks.

Richard
    "Althea" #387
    "Althea"
    Ariel #387

Thumbs up

Just so happens I got my Doc renewal in the mail today.

Her documented tonnage is 6 GRT & 6 NRT.

A documented vessel must measure 5 tons net .

If you are going to try for Documentation , hire a Doc Service to do the paper work . All the previous owners must be Id'ed through title abstracts .

Check out;

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

documentation

Mike,
    Maybe it's too early in the morning... but it's a morass.
    Can't even find a document service.
    Can you recommend one?

BoatUS Doucmentation Service

This just came in from BoatUS:

Since federal documentation is required by most lenders to record liens, now is the time to document your recreational boat. BoatU.S. provides this service and handles all the paperwork including contacting former owners, dealer/brokers, and banks. BoatU.S. is now offering a special 30% off discounted cost of $350 ($50 additional for lien recordation) to document your boat. Boats must be at least 27 feet in length and kept in the continental United States and owners must be U.S. citizens. There are additional fees that apply for boats purchased through bankruptcy, estate, trust, and repossessions. Please visit http://www.boatus.com/documentation/ or call 706-869-8241 if you have any questions.

documentation

How safe is it for a small yacht going foreign
    with a recognisable US hailing port?

Is it 'safer' to have state numbers and a name on the transom
    rather than a well known American hailing port like San Francisco or New York?

In a world that seems to be polarizing, what advantages does
    documentation provide in the coastal water and ports of foreign countries?

Quote Originally Posted by ebb
    How safe is it for a small yacht going foreign
    with a recognisable US hailing port?

Is it 'safer' to have state numbers and a name on the transom
    rather than a well known American hailing port like San Francisco or New York?

In a world that seems to be polarizing, what advantages does
    documentation provide in the coastal water and ports of foreign countries?
    Maybe you should ask BoatUS?

I did my CG documentation on my own - without a service. All I needed was my California DMV title. The CG didn't care about the "build history" or previous owners. It appears that info is only needed for commercial registrations. Save your money - and do it yourself! $350 is a lot of money to spend for an hour's worth of work you could do on your own.

Here's the CG documentation record for Ariel #75: http://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXDetai...sselID=1108400. (The "VIN" in that record is the CG documentation number assigned by the CG. All the CG needed from me was my hull number.)

If you need a cheat sheet, use the calculations appropriate for an Ariel that are within the documentation record above.

Use this form to prove your calculations to the Coast Guard: http://www.uscg.mil/forms/cg/CG_5397.pdf

By the way, my registered "hailing port" is Omaha, Nebraska. You can use any city anywhere in the US as your hailing port, and since I'm from Omaha, I figured it was unlikely that another boat would ever be documented from there with the same vessel name. The Coast Guard just had a good laugh over that, and issued my certificate.
    Last edited by pbryant; 06-17-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Mike,

You wrote earlier on this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin
    Just so happens I got my Doc renewal in the mail today. Her documented tonnage is 6 GRT & 6 NRT. A documented vessel must measure 5 tons net .

Check out;

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm
    I endeavored to calculate the GRT and NRT for my Ariel using the Application for Simplified Measurement at: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/msc/T3/cg5397/cg5397.form.htm

but I guessed about the depth, which I understand to be the distance from the deck to bottom of the keel. Since that varies (the sheer is not parallel with the waterline), I am a bit perplexed on how to measure that distance "D".

What values for Overall length (L), Overall Breadth (B), and Overall Depth (D), did you use to come up with 6 GT and G NT? And also where did you measure the Overall Depth "D".

Regards,

Scott
    Scott

Those calcs were done back in 1960's when she was new. Once you are in 'documentation' you only re-new doc , don't have to re-apply even if doc has expired.
    So , 6 & 6 were already on my paperwork for decades before I came to have the boat and I have no idea how they were decided.

Thanks For the response, Mike. I will do some more snooping around on the USCG Documentation site.
    Scott

All you ever wanted to know about

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
    All the previous owners must be Id'ed through title abstracts .
    That's not exactly true...

If you are only applying for a recreational endorsement, then all you need to show is that you have clear title to the boat. IF your boat was at some time owned in a state that issues title for boats, then you only need to show that you have clear ownership back to the title. If you can, you can apply for a "waiver of original build evidence." That way you don't have to trace the complete ownership of the boat.

This is what we did with Dasein, which had been titled in Florida two owners previous to us.
    Nathan
    Dasein, Triton 668
    www.dasein668.com

Most recent USCG form

I am looking into documenting #331 and in filling out the tonnage form if I use the correct hull form (faired in keel) I do not get to 5 tons. If I use the separate keel hull form I reach 6 tons. These are both using 25'7" LOA and 6' depth.

Those that have documented, is this how you did it?
    1965 Ariel #331

'MARIAH'

Tim,
    Let me quote off the Coast Guard (Department of Homeland Security) Form:

Gross Tonnage = 6 GRT
    Net Tonnage = 5 NRT
    Length = 26.0
    Breadth = 8.0
    Depth = 7.8
    Place built = UNKNOWN
    (because we have no paper)
    Operational Endorsements = RECREATIONAL
    IMO or Other Number = 338
    Year Completed = UNKNOWN
    (again no actual paper accompanies the boat)
    Hailing Port = SAN FRANCISCO
    (recognizable port, it's gonna be large on the boat somewhere.)
    Hull material = FRP (FIBERGLASS)
    Mechanical Propulsion = YES

What comes after the (=) sign is on the form.
    And I had BoatUS do it. I figured they knew the bureaucratic language better than I. I filled out a form to send to BoatUS and some of my numbers were altered. I argued with my handler at BoatUS that I knew perfectly well who built the boat and when and where - but because there is no provenance on paper it could not appear on the 'official' document. Bothers me.

We are issued a seven digit number that has to be permanently affixted to a structural member of the boat in 3" high Arabic numerals preceded by the abbreviation "NO."

For the formula I believe I measured from the bottom of the boat to the sheer 'somewhere', using their schematic in the request form. I have no idea where that 'depth' number came from, but that is what is there. And I don't have the guts to question it. Maybe Mike Goodwin knows - but he's lubbered on us.

And I would guess I'm exempt from registering with the state. But as long as it is reasonable as it is I'm not rocking the boat and keep paying it.
    Anybody know for sure???
    Last edited by ebb; 06-21-2008 at 11:44 PM.

Documentation

MIKE, need your advice!

I've decided to go for documentation using the BoatUS service.
    I understand the tonnage measurement...

What is not clear is the length measure.
    I do plan to have a short bowsprit on 338,

CAN THIS BE USED TO INCREASE THE MEASUREMENT TO THE REQUIRED LENGTH?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ebb; 07-15-2005 at 09:32 AM.

+ Reply to Thread