Thread: Ariel #1

Threaded View

Restore/rebuild?

There's the 'letter of the law.' Mike is correct about the word 'restore.' It has come to mean 'bring back to its original condition.' And equipment. A museum quality Ariel would have to have every piece authentic original including, we presume, the oil filter on the Atomic 4. A museum quality Ariel would have to been stored unused and covered in a barn since 1962.

It does look like #1 has had some enhancements that are not true to her type. What's in a number? In some ways it is a disappointment, but it IS more important that the boat will go on sailing into the future. Even if 'restoration' is not wholly correct. 'Refit' is a nice neutral word for the effort Capt John is making.

Went thru some heavy mental games myself when I began working on 338. Choose to make my peace with Alberg - not Pearson. To restore an Ariel to what Pearson put in the marketplace would be ludicrous. There is no way to do anything to the inside of the vessel that you couldn't do better. The furniture in an Ariel is some of the ugliest carpentry ever conceived. The bulkheading not far behind. Restoring that would be rather sick and impossible.

Looking at it from both sides now, tough love sez you can't restore any Ariel. Made me feel a little better when I too decided to appeal to Alberg rather than Pearson for the violations I have did to 338. It's my personal opinion that Carl never climbed down the ladder into any of his boats under 35', anyway!

In pure terms of a Great Project Boat an Ariel is MADE for that function. Improvements, modifications, rebuilding, customizing, alterations, reworking, remodeling, modernizing - not a problem. When you get it done, you'll still have an exceptional boat that will get you there
    and back again.
    Last edited by ebb; 06-09-2005 at 07:21 AM.