Thanks for the response. Like I said, I'm a boat-rookie so it generated more questions. Be patient with me while conduct a little orientation to what I found.

I have three covers in the cabin floor that access the bilge. Number one is forward of the compression post. I had some deck fitting leaks which led to an occasional puddle in this area. The gear was rebedded before it got too cold here and the leaks have stopped.

Number two is near the sink area. It sounds like your pump is installed here Theis. If the capped thru-hulls for the original head or the sink drain gave way water would head this way so that makes sense to me. But the bilge goes on for a quite a bit beyond that which starts me wondering.

Number three is under the bridgedeck just aft of where the ladder rests on the cabin floor. One can see the keel sloping back into the darkness from here.

Number four is located just aft of the winches and is cut into plywood resting over the aft bilge area. By putting a light there and peering in through panel number three I found the source of the my spouse's dislike of the boat. There is quite a bit of foul-smelling water down there (thirty-six years worth maybe). This space begs for a pump to clear it occasionally although I imagine that most of the water now there came from condensation.

In the event of a major thru-hull failure it seems this area would fill with a considerable amount of water. Landlubber logic would indicate a high-volume pump should go down there in an effort to maintain the boat on its lines as long as possible in the event of a major leak.

However, it's also clear from this discussion group that several people put their pumps under the cabin floor defying landlubber logic. Besides, even an agile small child would have trouble getting down there to put one in.

I have hit submerged objects in sailing club boats in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. No damage was done but the club's J-22's didn't have old thru-hull fittings either. I'd appreciate some input from experienced Commander owners before I start looking for that agile small child.

Thanks,
Jerry McCann