Thread: Bilge Pump Discussions

Threaded View

The amazing thing about an Ariel is that it can hold a course on its own with a sheet to tiller arrangement in a moderate swell and in 20 to 25 mph winds with a full main and 90% jib flying. I was sailing that way for about three hours last Thursday, and had plenty to time to leave the tiller to eat lunch, play with my charts and GPS below, and watch the scenery go by. The boat was never over powered, nor with one exception in three hours did we wander off course. Since Augustine wandered to the lee side that time, instead of following her natural inclination to go to weather, I assume that a large swell was responsible for causing us to drift off course.

In answer to your question, my cockpit lockers have a pad eye on the under side of their hatch covers. A length of Dacron line runs forward and through the bulkhead into the cabin, where there is a jam cleat under on the underside of the galley counter on the port side and my chart table on the starboard side (see photo below). I keep the companionway hatch cover shut when underway if there is a possibility of taking on some spray. I have a set of three teak weatherboards that can be slipped into the companionway slot all at once or one at a time as the occasion dictates. I have thus far not had to use them at sea.

I'll tell you one thing: Working with acetone in that cockpit locker is no joy.

I do have one other question on this thread topic, which is supposed to be bilge pumps as siphons. The Association Ariel Manual recommends a bilge pump in the cockpit, and seems to prefer the bridge deck as a location for this pump. My manual pump is inside the cabin mounted to the aft wall of the cabin above the galley shelf (see photo below). I would like to add a second bilge pump. I have looked at various locations in the cockpit. Unless you install one of those flush mounted hand operated bilge pumps, the thing would be in the way. If it wasn't for the necessity of cutting a 3.5 inch hole, I would located a flush mounted pump on the starboard side just forward of the bulkhead that separates the lazarette locker from the rest of the boat. If you do install one of the flush mounted varieties. You have to cut a 3.5 inch hole in one wall of the cockpit. Anyone found a better idea for locating a bilge pump in the cockpit that does not require a 3.5 inch hole?

Other innovative bilge pump ideas will be welcome.
    Attached Images  
    Scott