+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bilge Pump Discussions

Hybrid View

Mike,
    I not sure what you are looking for. I have three openings in the cabin sole: one forward of the compression post and two aft of the post. That's all I know of. You can see all the way to the bottom of the bilge from the third opening.

I've seen several locations for batteries in various Commanders. The terminal strip is usually (not always) on the starboard side mounted on the interior of cockpit wall. I originally found my battery in the starboard cockpit locker just aft of the terminal strip. I've seen them under the cockpit floor behind the wall between the cabin and the stern. To me both those locations made the batteries hard to move and service. I relocated mine to a battery box in the cabin under the bridge deck just aft of the ladder. I have it strapped to the wall. It puts it low and centered in the boat and is easy to get too when needed.

Does this help?

Thanks SkipperJer,
    In my question I was trying to ask about the existence of "Bilge access 4" in the attached diagram that I thought you posted. What you described in your note is the same kind of Bilge access I have: One hatch in front of the compression post and two aft of the post. But in the diagram there is a 4th access which I can't find on my boat and it sounds like you don't have either. So why is it in the diagram?

My farthest aft bilge access is only about 10 inches deep. It sounds like with yours you can see deeper into the keel. I wonder if someone just sealed mine. I often get water in it...I think it is leaking form above...so I'm reading about bilge pumps and searching for leaks.

I appreciate you comments on the battery. Mine are under the cockpit floor and I like your placement better.

thanks, mike
    puddle.pdf
    Last edited by Commander152; 11-27-2018 at 03:13 PM.

In your drawing I don't see anything like bilge access under the cockpit, just the engine location for the on-board power model. If you regularly have water in the bilge I'd recommend you find the leak now. I very occasionally get water when it is raining and the wind is blowing directly into the air scoop in the bow. Otherwise I'm dry with the exception of condensation within the interior when temp/humidity changes a lot. Slow leaks are insidious and often do long term damage to structural areas that are very hard to repair.

+ Reply to Thread