Thread: Bilge Pump Discussions

Threaded View

low spot in bilge

somewhere along the line here, someone said that the low spot (on the ariel) is directly under the sink. on my boat it isn't there, but further back.

i have a small square hatch behind where the battery would sit, and that lets me see into the real depths of the bilge, which is even futher aft, aft even from the two lead pigs/bricks. i have attached a marked up pic. on the picture, the red line is where i approximate the bottom of the bilge to be. the two black things are the lead bricks. the blue line is where battery platform slopes back and up to the cockpit sole (ie, the floor/surface which has the sqare hatch thru which i can see the depths) the brown parts are all the hatches in my flooring, two cabin and one under/behind the sink.

it is very narrow in the depths back there. it makes me wonder if the limiting factor on electric pump capacity is the width of the pump. i have yet to install any pumps on my little boat, but that will be the first order of business, to pump out the bit of 40-year old stagnant water. (i approximate 4 gallons worth, but given the shape, could be off quite a bit). the current water level only touches the back of the deepest lead brick.
    Attached Images