Thread: Bilge Pump Discussions

Threaded View

Theis' commentary on the lazarette bulkhead reminds me of a discovery made about that bulkhead in 338. I couldn't have imagined a more badly fitted piece of work. If I remember, the starboard side looked good with a heavy tab from bulkhead to hull.

But the other side, after a bit grinding revealed a huge gap, at least 2" wide in the turn of the hull, that the tabbing had a difficult time spanning. You could tell something was up after grinding away the spatter paint. It didn't look right, the tabbing, bulging and NOT ATTACHT in one place that allow a wonder bar to be inserted and levered down. Part of the tabbing came loose. The bulging mess was then grinded to the plane of the plywood. It revealed the gap partially stuffed with unsaturated roving cloth. Parts of it still white as the day the farmer jammed it in there!

If the tabbing in the lazarette is not perfect, here, certainly, is a possible leak source. If the lazarette is always wet, it's a certainty.

This reminds me: that when the 'gas can' deck was removed from the ob lazarette in 338, the foam under the what looked like well sealed ply was saturated with water and gas. 'Closed cell' urethane foam is not waterproof

And, if you are wet in the cockpit, here is another possible leak source. The seat scuppers around the side lazarette lids, on 338 are deep triangulat pockets that exit about 6 or 7" above the cockpit sole.
    These are 'cold' laminated on to the insides of the cockpit well, which are very thin. One good reason for the design is that the pockets add stiffness to the unit. But by nature or accident could be cracked and leak. Up at the seat along the back under the hinge there is a U-shape scupper that connects the side pockets. On 338 we found that gelcoat was used to glue or caulk this joint. In a couple places in was wide open. Next time you open the lid take a look at the seam.

While not a lot of water would enter these places, it could add up. The cockpit under the stress of sailing could open up joints that appear solid. It's possibe also that water could collect in a corner and be released by heeling the boat when sailing. A mirror and a flashlight.
    Last edited by ebb; 07-15-2004 at 07:02 AM.