+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pearson Ariel #304

Pearson Ariel #304

Hello, I am a new member of this forum, as well as the new owner of Hull #304. It is definitely a "fixer upper," but is in sound shape. Any observations would be appreciated based on the photos. Especially any tips on getting the green carpet up and refinishing the deck. Here are some photos.
    Attached Images          

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Welcome aboard.

I would suggest a wedge to chip the golfball from the cockpit to the foredeck. Then its an easy putt into the cowl vent.

Just kidding. Boat looks like it had some care and attention. We've seen MUCH worse around here.

I'm sure the carpet was put down to cover a variety of evils. Just going to have to be scraped off and see what you've got. The carpet people use a heavy scraper that looks like a flat shovel or edging tool. I doubt the original nonskid is going to be worth trying to save.

Then you have to decide whether the deck needs a recore.

Then comes grinding and painting. The carpet glue might cause some problems.

But, we're getting ahead of the game.

The cracks on deck around the rudder post are fairly typical.

Great you're aboard. This website is a huge resource, hope you find what you're looking for using the Search button on the top of the page. But you may want to come right in with your own questions and advice.

You may have to invent your own method for removing the carpet, don't think I've ever seen that befor!!!

My guess is that the DFO used flooring adhesive. Now you can always go buy lethal mastic removers with good ole methylene chloride, and almighty caustics in them - poisonally, I would research the brand REMOVALL, and there's a KleenStrip remover in a green can. Haven't used either. Don't know what's in them - maybe based on citrus acid. Both say 'environmental' on the label. But better ask them if it's ok to use on old polyester gelcoat. Removers are specific, so it's the right one you want. And ones that won't dissolve your lungs and the meat off yer fingers.

Might pry and scrape a corner up and see if naptha will clean off the residue left on the gelcoat. If it does then look into the "green" removers. Might cross hatch the carpet (what? 2" squares?) with a utility knife to try to get the remover under the turf. Or try BOILING WATER. Or a heat gun, tho it might melt the plastic. You might be able to rent a pole scraper, a kind of longhandled chisel for stand-up work. To avoid naptha for final cleaning, there's a biodegradable cleaner called KRUD KUTTER, that supposedly is very good. GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by ebb; 04-26-2005 at 01:34 PM.

Talking congradulations

I find old boats are like young kids....you'll find you have less free time , they can be frustrating and aggravating but fun , rewarding and will give you a sence of pride too.Have fun! There is a ton of info here...as well as a wealth of knowledge and Ebbs good humour .Ask direct questions and you'll get lots of answers. Must be cold where you sail....I've never seen an Ariel wearing a sweater! COOL !

Talking Fore!

[size=3][size=4]Welcome aboard![/size] [/size]

[size=3]Looking at the switch panel, it looks like it is an inboard model. [/size]
    [size=3]I see an outboard hung off the transom. Is the A-4 still installed? [/size]

[size=3]The really nice thing is, no matter what lurks beneath the turf you have bought a good boat that is worthy of the work she may require to bring her back.[/size]

[size=3]I highly recommend the manual that the association sells. It is a great 'companion' to this forum. I am quite sure that between it, and the volumes of information buried here, you will find the answer to any question that you might ask........[/size]

[size=3].....That is except for 'how to remove astro-turf from the topsides?' [/size]

[size=3][/size]

[size=3].... No, I don't think anyone here has faced that one yet. [/size]

[size=3]Seriously, you really have bought a great boat. Congratulations![/size]

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Post Background On A-304

Ariel #304 formerly resided in the SF Bay Area -- inboard engine and all. Had a yellow hull before it left for Texas. Next appeared in Oklahoma. Our new owner has failed to include his location when registering, so we're not sure of the boat's location.

This boat was the first to have its strongback reinforced by the method shown in the manual (first and second editions). The owner was an engineer who came up with the fix.

Outboards on transoms are frowned upon by yours truly. The reasons are posted and can be found by using the search function. Bottom line, it's dangerous.

Thanks for the Input!

I appreciate all of the input thus far. I browsed this site prior to purchasing the boat and found a wealth of information I felt I could rely upon in fixing the boat up.
    My name is Bret and I live in Norman, Oklahoma. The boat is slipped at Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City. Prior to my acquisition of the boat, it sat in the slip shown in the pictures for two years without ever being untied. I thought she needed rescuing. I have taken it out several times and am impressed with her.

Thanks for the info Bill regarding its previous owner. Where can I learn more about what has been done to it? Secondly, the boat does have an internal A4, however, the previous owner said it needed a rebuild due to leak in the water jacket. Not sure about what that means yet. My intentions are to rebuild the A4 and get the outboard off of the transom.

Bill, you said the outboard was dangerous, is there a hidden danger, or the danger inherent in every outboard? I am a pretty safety conscious guy and want your feedback.

Lastly, I have pulled up the carpet in a couple of corners and old, dry, brown adhesive coats the deck. I think I will have to find "an inconspicuous corner" and start experimenting with getting it off.

Again, thanks for the input. Bret
    Last edited by legalair; 04-27-2005 at 07:51 AM.

Ariel/Commander Manual

Make sure you become a dues paying member and order the paper manual
    Its invaluable material

You will like this association

Iceman

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    A transom mounted outboard is nice because you get the engine out of the water while sailing or docked.

On the downside, the engine could be swamped motoring in very rough conditions. You've also got weight at the extreme end of the boat.

On the Ariel, you have to sit on the lazarette or lean over it to operate the engine, which could be awkward or dangerous.

But, your boat has a pushpit so I don't see a real problem for the time being. It works, use it, go sailing, have fun.

Unhappy Outboards in rough seas

I agree with "commander Pete" that they can be swamped in rough seas , but an even more dangerous trait of a "bracket hung" outboard is their inability to keep the prop IN THE WATER in big stuff.I've had several boats with them and the screaming engine as the prop breaks free of the water at the crests of waves is not a nice sound. Nor is the loss of momentum or the extra wear on the water pump.Bracket hung outboards and rough stuff is a no no in my books.#50

Rigging

I can't figure out why the boom has extra rigging in center. I understand this one has sailed to Hawaii, was this a protective measure, or just extra rigging? I was contemplating removing this extra hardware or rerigging so I can raise the jib from the cocpit. Any suggestions? I have searched the archives and looked for ideas. Any favorites? Bret

Quote Originally Posted by legalair
    I understand this one has sailed to Hawaii,
    Can you verify that?

Good Question

Iwas told by a previous owner that 304 sailed from Sausalito to Hawaii and back and that this was recorded somewhere, possibly at the club in CA this boat belonged to. The previous owner told me this club either kept records or had some information regarding this trip. It would rather nice to verify it though, any ideas? Bill, you seemed to know about the previous owner who did the strongback conversion, is there any place to find this info?

Any help on the rigging?

Quote Originally Posted by legalair
    Any help on the rigging?
    Need a better picture. It could be a vang/preventer setup similar to the "Dutchman" (I think it's called that), but a photo of the setup would help. Nice to have for long, down wind sailing.

From what I can see....

Looks to me like the same set up as is on French's boat. (pretty sure that is where I saw it).

Might ask him for his impressions.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by c_amos; 05-01-2005 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Edited to add cropped image

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

+ Reply to Thread