+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Voyage of Commander "Faith" Chicago to California

Thanks for your support!

Hello all!
    We love the fact that other Pearson owners have keyed into the journey! We have been sailing through hurricane season (yes, Eric, we've researched this transit and are on the way to Baja tomorrow. New updates were posted yesterday, more to follow when we get to Cabo San Lucas. Any of you in California who might be interested in meeting up with us? Just leave a message on our message board! We'd love to sail with a sistership!
    Fair winds and following seas!
    Sean, Brian, and Eric

Saving log entries

Hey Faith crew
    Great going..I do have a problem//

Why cant I download and save your log entries for re reading??

Iceman..Commander 264

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    This trip is an inspiration to all us dreamers.

Been following your progress on the Globe that I'll be using for navigation.

All hail The Mighty Faith
    Attached Images  

Saving log entries

Hey Commander Pete

Why cant I save log entries to my computer
    I have tried evry angle here

Iceman

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Sorry iceman, don't know much about computers.

I'm waiting for the story to come out in paperback.

saving log entries

On my computer, you can save a log entry by highlighting the text (hold the mouse button down and scroll down), then go to edit and press copy. Then open a new Word document, go to edit and press paste. Then save the new word document.

Bravo Richard

That copy paste method worked out a.o.k
    Thanks

Wink computer dumbies

heh iceman.....nice to see I'm not da only guy trying to figure out all theses computer tricks....real easy stuff if ya know how..but us ole 'techno fobes' take a while ta figure it all out !! By the time I'm 80 I hope to "get it"

More log entries up.

Here's a taste:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Up on deck Brian was heartily enjoying his stint surfing Faith in seas that had grown to twenty feet, winds that had increased to 40 knots. Miles were being sliced off faster than limbs in a Star Wars movie. Then a sonorous rumble from behind that made my ears perk: something big moving in mercurially – a wall, no, a bastion of water thirty feet high! The stern rose; through the hatch I watched Brian's face go tight with concentration; Eric's leg, the only part I could see, stiffened against the side of the cockpit; I braced the computer in my lap with one hand and grabbed a bulkhead with the other. The bow was dragged backwards up the slope of the wave-face and our momentum pressed us all hard against whatever holds we had. My stomach got that weightless butterfly effect like when the rollercoaster begins its steep descent. The stern pitched forward slightly, bow laboring to come up....and....making it....as we reached the summit of the wave. The froth boiled up over both gunrails – the bow rose level with the stern and we were all forced to lean still further as the G-forces bore us back. Faith shot along the top of that wave for an eon, a little blue cork on the precipice of a waterfall. Our breathing was all exhale through lips pressed firmly together. And then the stern gradually dropped, the bow going high, Faith slipping backwards as the wave, having had its way with her, gently lay her in the comfortable trough of its passing. "SEVENTEEN POINT SIX!!!!" Eric broke into the mystic reverie of motion, "Guys, we just got seventeen point six!!"
    Last edited by commanderpete; 08-22-2005 at 04:24 AM.

We got our selfs a regular Joe Conrad here!

I want to thank the crew of the Faith for sharing thier adventure with us. Thier message log is full and will not except any new messages. Impressive, well written, look forward to reading more. Answers the question for me about wheather or not our Pearson Commanders are blue water seaworthy boats. I had some fear about the cockpit size and heavy seas. Looking at some of the posted pictures I took notice that much of the original equipment was still in use such as the old wenches, that says a lot about American craftmanship and the design of the boat itself. Did I read correctly that the Faith was almost knocked down and that one spreader was in the water and seconds later the old gal just popped back up? Impressive, good seamanship and prepardness. Godspeed Faith.

The Mighty Faith arrived at Berkeley Marina after a 5 month journey.

Congratulations to her Crew. Well done.

Kudos guys!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

the latest Commander voyage....

SUPERB!

Haven't been able to sit here for the time it would take to witness the whole voyage. Don't know if it is Sean or Brian who kept the journal - it has an appealing, friendly, sane and happy quality (amongst other adjectives) that I also hope can find its well deserved way into book form.

Don't know how you'd market this adventure, but there must be a huge pre-mid-life-crisis reading pubic that would find it a real pleasure and a relief from all the hard stuff. Maybe Borders would do a books on tape - it would make a great contrast to Master and Commander (Patrick O'Brion) - that poor saps in commuter traffic could listen to on their way to work.

Hope the story remains available on site here and doesn't fall down into the bottom of the bag. Never know, it might have been a whole different adventure in a sailboat other than a 40 year old Commander! (about the same age as the crew!)

Thumbs up

Hats off to 'the lads'....great reading too.Inspiring and gives a sence of confidence in our lil boats...OK OK.. lil yaghts ! PS Ebb..I think the boat is older than they are.

+ Reply to Thread