+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Riding The Wave

Hybrid View

Exclamation no way steering was lost

it appeared to me as if the boat was headed somewhat down wind.if steering was lost weather helm would have weather vaned the boat into luffing

What do you think broke his spar? It had to have been something more than a jibe, I would think. At the start of the sequence he was going wing on wing. Then the jib went over and finally the main jibed. But the jibe didn't break the mast - The upper portion of the mast broke a bit later, followed by the lower half disappearing. And the mast at the time it broke was not immersed. So was it the jibe or the water that broke the rig?

The pictures really show the problem with aerated foam. It doesn't support anything - either a boat or a person. Rather than popping to the top, the aerated foam rolls over the boat without lifting it. Moral: Stay out of surf!
    Last edited by Theis; 04-08-2005 at 05:25 AM.

Question Broke the mast?

a 30' mast and 10 to 15 feet of water with the boat upside down, you do the math .

Mike:

Perhaps I missed something, but why would the 10-15 feet of water break a mast that extends 30 feet above the water's surface? I see the mast breaking when the boat is upright (See image 8). I have been in water shallower than 10-15 feet many times, and done a jibe, unfortunately, but never been concerned with my mast breaking because of the water depth. I do understand your concept once the boat rolled.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Here's that pic. Hard to tell what's going on, but its not good.

I can imagine what the surfers were saying to the sailors when they picked them up.

"Yo.....Doooood......Gnarly ride!!!"
    Attached Images  

I believe the mast breaks around photo 9 when he pitch poles and broaches . In photo 10 the boat is inverted . Mast is still standing in photo 8.

Post South Tower Devil

The nautical chart for SF Bay indicates that water depths around the South Tower of the Golden Gate bridge range from a shallow 27 feet to a more robust 333 feet.

The chart also notes "tide rips" in the near vicinity. I believe this identifies the location of the famous South Tower "devil" that combines tide rips with wind variations to cause unsuspecting yachts to broach or experience other uncomfortable sailing adventures. Usually, it’s only the skipper’s pride that gets damaged.

+ Reply to Thread