PDA

View Full Version : Spreader Tubes

Robert Lemasters
03-18-2005, 07:06 AM
I recently purchased two spreader bases to replace the old damaged ones. What I need now are the aluminum alloy spreader tubes and end fittings, D&R does not seem to have them and our local pipe and tubing supply places don't have sutible replacements either. It seems that the outside diameter of the tubes are not standard. I could however make some sort of hardwood replacement for the end fittings or have something fabricated from aluminum block. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? :confused:

commanderpete
03-18-2005, 08:18 AM
You should be able to find some aluminum tubing of the right size. Check mcmaster.com or onlinemetals.com

They might have it at Rig-Rite
http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/Spreaders.html

You may need to look around the website. They sell some spreader tips.

My experiences with Rig-Rite have not been good--very expensive and unhelpful. They had a recent fire so they may even be worse now. If its not a stock item you may have to wait a long time.

I don't think hardwood would be my choice to machine your own spreader tips.

I have some 1 inch thick Starboard I could send you if you want to play around with that.

commanderpete
03-22-2005, 05:44 AM
Might also take a look at Dwyer Mast. Prices don't seem bad.

http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1ID=40&cat1Name=Hardware&familyID=26&familyName=Spreaders+%26+Brackets+%28Round%29

ray b
03-24-2005, 06:47 AM
lot of ways to go but do to water caused wood swelling
wood ain't a good idea for tips

plastic is better if you can find a machine shop to turn an end peice
or carve / sand / drill-turn make one your self out of nylon or F/G or carbonfiber
or alloy or SS strong but heavy but could be drilled hollow

or the wierd way hunt a table leg end cap or a thread spool to cut in half that will work

or just notch the tube end or use a short SS tube to put the notch in on the very end note SS tube could be inside or outside the alloy spreader
I have used thin walled SS tubes with notched ends
and a drilled hole for wire to safty wire the stay to the notch
wouldNOT do a long voyage off shore BUT FINE FOR A DAY SAILOR
with that kind of set up

or you can shimm the standerd sized tubes or ends to fit
beer cans make desent shimm stock