PDA

View Full Version : FOR SALE: 1963 Ariel #120 "Dulcimer"

BeamReacher
02-23-2005, 09:04 AM
The boat is at our community dock in Severna Park, near Annapolis, Md. Have upgraded to a new boat (well, a 1980 Hunter -- my growing family has requirements for headroom and an eclosed head. ) So, with great regret, I must let Dulcimer go. I've had her for 16 years and sailed her every one of them, with a 4 - 14 day cruise with my brothers every July 4. Sleeps 4 comfortably if you don't bring too much junk, as all Ariel lovers should know. My favorite feature, which I'm going to miss, is being able to access the ice box from the cockpit. :-D

Main was cut in 1992; two jibs, spinnaker. 1994 Honda 8hp 4-stroke w/alternator, well maintained. VHF, 26 gal fresh water tank w/electric pump, manual bilge pump with crank in cockpit, swim ladder, bow and stern pulpits. Bottom was painted in 2003, so she's due. Two inspections since I've had her, in 1988 and 1995, which resulted in upgrades to the electrical system.

I used to co-own Dulcimer with another member of this forum, Tom Mitchell. We removed the head and glassed in its thru-hulls to avoid even the temptation to discharge into the Bay. Had cabinets built in aft cabin when we bought her, greatly increases storage space.

$3,200. Reply to me or call 443-618-2594 if interested. I'd love to pass her on to someone who appreciates her qualities!

Jim Buchman

c_amos
02-23-2005, 01:51 PM
After 16 years it must be tough to say good bye.

I am not in the market, but I am sure if someone is looking they would
like to see pictures if you have them.

While you are taking pictures..... ;)

If you would'nt mind I would like to see the
26 gal fresh water tank w/electric pump, manual bilge pump with crank in cockpit

Where is the water tank located? is it a bilge tank? And what kind of manual pump did you mount in the cockpit?

I hope you find the right home for your boat soon.

Thanks,

BeamReacher
03-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Hey,

My program manager at work saw me with a batch of pictures last week and said, "You still use film?" Indeed I do -- I'm cruel to cameras and watches, so the former are cheap and the latter are waterproof.

All this is to say that the pictures I took this weekend must wait to come back from Kodak until I can post them. One Ariel looks a lot like the next, so I concentrated on the unique features. The water pump is just a little thing under the sink, which has neither received nor required a minute's maintenance from myself or Tom since we bought Dulcimer. The bilge pump just uses a removable straight handle which you pump up and down while seated on the port side of the cockpit; it empties out the stern. I think the most attactive feature are the cabinets built into the main cabin.

Quick question about diesel: I've never owned a boat which used a diesel engine. The former owner of Dreamcatcher, my 27' Hunter, says that the fuel has been in the tank since May of last year, and that he put stabilizer in it at the time. Is it safe for me to run the engine, should I add more stabilizer, or would it be safest just to pump out the old fuel and replace it?

Thanks much,
Jim Buchman

<edited for spelling>

epiphany
03-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Hi Jim -

AFA the useability of the fuel, it should be fine. Did the stabilizer have a biocide in it? If the tank wasn't full of fuel this whole time, it could have been condensing and allowing stuff to grow in there. The end result of that is nasties growing in your fuel, and then the engine conking out as the filters get sedimented and clogged. Filter$ can get ex$pen$ive. :)

If you can see into the tank, look for black stuff. If you see much of it, siphon your old fuel out, clean the tank, and strain the fuel back in, check filters (primary and secondary - u do have 2, right? if not, get a second installed!) and you should be OK with using it.

Edit: If you need to move the boat before you can do this, get a jerry can full of good fuel. Make sure you have enough extra room in your main tank for about 70-80% of the capacity of the jerry can. Disconnect fuel line to engine from the main tank, and drop that engine supply line into the jerry can. Run as normal. Diesels don't use near the amount of fuel the system takes up, so you'll need the capacity in the main tank for fuel returned from the engine, but other than that this little trick will get you to where you need to go to be able to do more involved maintenance.

BeamReacher
04-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Hi Kurt,

Thanks much for the advice! I decided not to take chances, and had the old fuel pumped out and replaced. Engine needed a few other things done. plus the bilge pump was shot, plus ... I'm starting to miss Dulcimer already :-)

Speaking of which -- at last, the pictures! I have a stern shot, a picture of the little electric water pump, and two of the custom cabinets we had put in. Tom also put in a pedastal for a table, but it was so bulky that we rarely used it.

Hasta la vista!
Jim Buchman

iceman
04-11-2005, 03:59 PM
I actually had Hull #264 listed on Yachtworld for a day

Then scored dock space, rather than a mooring on Lake Champlain

Launch date appx May 2

Compounded the hull, and oiled the teak..

Its near time to sail

Iceman :D

BeamReacher
04-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi,

I've listed Dulcimer in the local papers. Price is now $2800.

See ya,
Jim

RPA
07-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Hey-
Any chance Dulcimer is still for sale? I'm in the market for an old Ariel anywhere between Maine and Florida.
Thanks for the help.
Robin

BeamReacher
10-02-2005, 07:14 PM
... to Mr. Jeremy Wilson of North Carolina, who saw my ad on this forum. He moved it to the Outer Banks in late July / early August. We adjusted the price because of soft spots on the deck -- when he got Dulcimer to dry dock and lifted the deck, he saw that the whole deck core was rotting out! I had kinda suspected this, which was why I let her go so cheap; I didn't have the time to put into replacing the deck core, but Jeremy does. Apart from that, she's a sweet craft. Hope he'll be posting here himself soon.

After months of advertising Dulcimer with no bites, the day after I accepted Jeremy's offer, I got another offer from a neighbor! Your inquiry comes just days after that. That's the way it goes, I guess; but Dulcimer (formerly Parlay, soon to have yet another name) is in the best of hands.

re: old diesel fuel -- I decided to take no chances, and had a roving mechanic pump out the old fuel from my Hunter and put in new. Also realigned the prop shaft, replaced some cables, replaced some thru-hulls, etc. After six months sitting at the marina, I finally painted the bottom and had it put in two days ago -- then spent a nervous twenty minutes with two different batteries when it cranked but wouldn't catch. Finally did, though, and I took it to my marina with no problems.

Good luck, Pearson people!
Jim Buchman