PDA

View Full Version : Ariel #370 - NOT for sale! :)

epiphany
01-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Below this post is old information. Ariel #370 is up For Sale.

I have found another Ariel located about 470 miles closer to home, so I need to find a new owner for #370.

She is a project boat, and thus can be had very cheap. Included with her are several sails, anchor, porta potti, and her launch fee is already paid for, and transfers with the sale of the boat.

See more details at Ariel #370 For Sale (http://liquid-epiphany.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=5&MMN_position=13:13)

Tony G
01-30-2005, 06:51 AM
'E'

Congratulations to you! I remember the feeling of being 500 miles away from the boat and just not being able run down and check her out. That was harder than any part of the rebuild. And to start with a two week trip would be an adventure for sure. I know you'll be busy, but, keep a good log of the trip and take some pictures too! Tony G

commanderpete
01-31-2005, 07:50 AM
Way to go, Kurt.

One of those new-fangled 1966 models too!

Many happy days ahead.

epiphany
01-31-2005, 09:04 AM
Smiling then, because I was In Her Presence. Now, 500 miles away and wistful... :)

http://liquid-epiphany.com/images/photoalbum/11/IMG_2067_web_TSBB.JPG

Mike Goodwin
01-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Looks like you have the black mold problem . #45 was so bad is was more black than white inside.
Safest way to rid yourself of the mold and mildew,
Get gallons of cheap white vinegar and spray down the whole inside ( garden sprayer), then scrub with GoJo citrus orange hand cleaner . The vinegar kills the spores and the GoJo really gets the stuff out of the pores of the surface .
DONT use bleach , it has to be neutralized ( using Vinegar ) and will promote mold growth if you dont get all the bleach off ( rinsing wont do it , unless you completely fill the hull with water 3 times , shake and drain ) . After the GoJo , wipe down with a damp sponge or towel .

mbd
01-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Yah, rub it in 'E'! (Still looking in Maine) A hearty congrats to you!

Hey, can you post the link for your Compac Website, or pics of your CP23?

Also, just curious on your thoughts about changing from an IB Diesel to an OB?

- Mike

PS. Is that a full length mirror on the bulkhead door? Aren't we vain? :D

c_amos
01-31-2005, 03:01 PM
Epiphany,

Glad to hear you have made it 'official'. I brought mine down from the south end of the Chesapeak (kinda) and I am sure you will not regret having made the decision to cruise, rather then trailer her down.

If I might suggest, the Dismal Swamp channel rather then the more common main cut. You will not regret it, drop me a line when the time gets closer, and I can get you the numer to call.

Man what a great trip that is gonna be! I am so glad I got that 'shake-down' cruise with 226.

Hope the Abarmarle is more kind to you then she was to me!

Oh yea, and as for that height issue with the v-berth, I was about ready to place a piece of foam padding over that area! I was about one hit away from black and blue when I got back!

Mike Goodwin
01-31-2005, 06:28 PM
The Albemarle has 4" of ice on it at the present time.

Mike Goodwin
01-31-2005, 06:38 PM
Hey, when you come down the ICW , Give Lemasters or me a call, Mike G, we live a few hundred yards from ICW mile post zero in Old Town Portsmouth. There are 2 public free docking areas. Good place to start from in the morning . The one at the foot of High St is the better of the two.
We'll buy you a beer and swap lies !
Some friends of mine , on a Tayana 38 , tried to head south on tuesday , 4" of ice turned them back .
I would wait until the second week of March at least .

epiphany
02-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Mike - Thx for the black mold info. I was going to just bleach and rinse (hadn't figured out how to shake her without using something along the lines of the Gulf Stream), like we used back in my days as a painter/pressure washer doing exterior home maintenance. The ammonia info is interesting. What if I bleached, then ammonia-ed, then scrubbed? Just uneccessary work? Or would the bleach save me some scrubbing? Not too worried about residue sitting on what you see in the pic, as most (or more likely "all") of that will get ground off, scraped off, or thrown out of the boat once I get cracking on the inside work, sometime this late spring or summer.

I will PM you for contact info so we can quaff brews and tell lies as I bring her through your area. Been planning on having to stop there for the night, so the dock info helps. Launch date is March 22, will start south on the 23rd assuming she is still floating. Maybe I can put my set of Mk I's on y'alls Ariels for inspiration, too. :D

--------------------

mbd - According to Mikes post above, tis scrubbing, not rubbing, that I will be doing. :D My website has a lot of CP pics Liquid Epiphany (http://liquid-epiphany.com) , and I also administer the CP Owners Association website (for a bit yet, until I find someone willing to carry the mantle) CPYOA (http://www.com-pacowners.com) . There is a photo gallery at that CPYOA with a lot of pictures of various CP models, too.

Going from I/B to O/B - well, I loved the little Universal that was in my CP23. Always ready to go, sippy at the fuel tank, and all the engine weight low and in the middle. The only "but" I can think of is the $ one - If I'd had to rebuild or do a major repair, it would have been ex$pen$ive. :)

An O/B is readily removed, and the possibilities associated with that have been growing on me - for repairs or maintenance, for use on the dinghy, or to streamline the hull when sailing long distances - 3 plusses there. Working on an inboard is usually contortionists work (I remain convinced that somewhere there is a double-jointed midget marine mechanic that does I/B installs :D ), so it will be much easier with the O/B. Diesels are pretty noisy, vibrate a lot, and generate a lot of heat belowdecks, too. A lesser issue is the fixed prop - it could be aligned with the keel, tho, to cut down on drag. Last consideration - the fact that with an I/B, you *have* to have thru-hulls below the waterline. I'll have #370 set up so that there is very very little chance of her being able to fill with water (ideally, no below water thru hulls at all), so that is one less worry either when I am away from her, or when I am bouncing around in rough seas - both bad times for her to spring a leak below the waterline.

Excuse the rambling nature of those thoughts, to my mind it comes down to this - Basically, both methods of propulsion have good and bad points, inboards are just a lot more expensive. :D

Regarding the mirror - it will probably go when that door does. How I'll get by sitting in the cockpit without being able to determine if my coiffe is disturbed by the wind, I don't know, but it is a sacrifice I am willing to make. :D

Buy Sirocco. :) In one sense, I am kicking myself for not having emailed Steve to see if she was still for sale. Had I done so, I might be sailing an Ariel today, and The Queen of the Fleet, no less. :D

---------------

Craig - Thank you for the Dismal tip. I've been wondering if that is the way to go. I need to get your contact info prior to departure, since I'll be coming right by on the way south. :) We can compare forehead bruises. :D

French
02-01-2005, 09:25 AM
I used just a consentrated orange cleaner on mine, with a spray bottle worked great!!! Also smells good afterward.

Looks like you have the black mold problem . #45 was so bad is was more black than white inside.
Safest way to rid yourself of the mold and mildew,
Get gallons of cheap white vinegar and spray down the whole inside ( garden sprayer), then scrub with GoJo citrus orange hand cleaner . The vinegar kills the spores and the GoJo really gets the stuff out of the pores of the surface .
DONT use bleach , it has to be neutralized ( using Vinegar ) and will promote mold growth if you dont get all the bleach off ( rinsing wont do it , unless you completely fill the hull with water 3 times , shake and drain ) . After the GoJo , wipe down with a damp sponge or towel .

Mike Goodwin
02-01-2005, 09:37 AM
I use the vinegar / citrus orange cleaner method because it is much more user friendly in the breathing department, and I am addicted to breathing on a regular basis .
It is also much nicer to the invironment and it don't kill the little fishes.
Eventually your boat will smell like it was freshly duched , a giant salad bowl or an orange Julius , all of which I prefer over bleach and ammonia fumes .

On your trip, that is good timing for March . The turn for the Dismal Swamp Canal is Just a couple of hours south of us at most . There are at least 4 bridges that will have to open for you before the Dismal swamp ( the railroad bridges are left open unless a train is coming ). There is a lock you have to transit at the north end of the canal at Deep Creek and it is a pre-scheduled opening , you know, "be there or be square" and wait for the next opening.
Do you have roller furling? It is nice on the ICW , you can motor /sail a lot and that makes it easier to do .

epiphany
02-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks French and Mike for the orange tips. Perhaps then I will have to name her "Citrus". :)

The 4-opening-bridge-and-then-a-lock info I will have to research a bit more, for timing. I know it sucks to "be square" - even worse is to be square 1-1.5 mile away after the last boat ahead of you goes through. Although the ensuing wait is a good time to brew a cuppa, and you are at the head of the line for the next opening... :)

I would love to sail her some on the way down, but am hesitant about doing so. Those 40 year old chainplates and bolts that hold her rig up have been exposed to a steady diet of damp for several years, and I know not how much metal remains buried in those chainplate knees. I've been thinking that, if I have the time prior to starting, I may pull one bolt from each, inspect and replace with a substitute for the trip. That is something that will have to be determined once I get up there. To add insult to injury, her strongback is depressed and weeping, so I'd bet that though it didn't originally, the wood in there has a balsa-like consistancy, making it a not-so-strongback, or maybe just a "weakback". Cracks are evident on the deck at the mast base. If the chainplates look like they'll be able to handle light air sailing, I will probably make a temporary compression post of 2 2x4's to help the "weakback", because I would like to sail her a bit. Not so much that I'll risk a dismasting or other type of catastrophic hardware failure, though. It may be months before I feel her come alive under the pull of sails. I try not to think about that.

mbd
02-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks French and Mike for the orange tips. Perhaps then I will have to name her "Citrus". :)

...or save the work and call her "Spore".

BTW, thanks for links and the thoughts on the inboard question.... good points all.

Mike D.

Mike Goodwin
02-01-2005, 11:32 AM
I can get you the local bridge opening schedules. They open at certain times of the day if traffic requires , on demand at other times and for commercial traffic. Some times you can slip through with a tug and barge . Morning and afternoon rush hours they will only open on the hour or half hour or for a pre-scheduled commercial vessel .
I'll make some calls for the latest data when the time approaches!
What kind of motor and is your bottom clean?

Mike Goodwin
02-01-2005, 11:39 AM
BTW, I hope you like good beer or ale. because 4 blocks from where you will be docking here is the Bier Garden . They sell more of some German beers (Advintinus) than any pub in Germany or anywhere in the world. Thay also have excellent stouts and ales on draft , I'm an IPA drinker myself with a good stout when I feel I need the vitamins .

epiphany
02-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Mike D. - "Spore" LMAO. :D Good one. :D

Mike G. - Cool thanks for the bridge help. The bottom is clean, and for a motor I'll be using a Merc 5 with a high thrust prop. How are the currents there? I may try to borrow a larger motor for the trip, but I know I have that Merc at least, because, well, its mine. :)

Update: I've been offered the use of an 8hp as well, Will most likely accept the offer, those extra 3 ponies might help here and there...

As far as bier, Heavens Forbid I should have to drink any of that.

Did I just write that? Should have said: Maybe I'll stay 2 days at that dock.

Homebrewer here, and a hop-head, IPA man myself. Sierra Nevada makes one of the better brews you can find just about everywhere, but so does Harpoon. As a matter of fact, I took some Harpoon IPA with me went I went up to finalize #370, and shared a little with her that first night. :) IPA is beer made to sail long distances, and that fits very well with my preferences and tendencies. That said, I'll not turn down a Boddingtons, or a Guinness, or a Sam Smiths, or a John Courage, or a Tusker, or a Red Hook, or a Black Dog , or a... well, you get the point. My mouth is watering already. :) As a bonus, I'll be able to make my brother jealous with tales of that pub. :D

4 blocks is a long way to walk. Makes a man thirsty, those long walks.

Might be fitting to head through a Dismal Swamp the next day.

Mike Goodwin
02-02-2005, 06:37 AM
Have you had a Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA? 3 of those and you will be low crawling back to the boat !
I've got nearly 40years of brewing under or more likely behind my belt. Started in college in the late 60's

Currents;
The worst you may encounter will be at the entrance to Hampton Roads from ChesBay between Thimble Shoal lighthouse , Fort Monroe to the north ( your STBD ) and Fort Wool to the south ( leave to Port ) .The flow of the James, Nasemond and Elizabeth rivers all merge there and can be fierce.
If the tide is at max ebb and the wind has any west in it , it will run 3k or better . But ! I have local knowledge and can chart you through the maelstrom.
There is a return current that flows along the NW shore just off Buckroe Beach and Fort Monroe , as you pass The mouth of the York river put more west in your heading and you will find a marked small boat channel heading SSW ( more or less) . Follow that on down and there is good depth within 100yds of shore. When you see the fishing Pier at Buckroe stay that distance + 50yds off the beach and head for the Fort. You are in a return current all the way to the fort. You can get closer to the beach if you dare, but without me along I wouldn't . You follow the curve of the fort right around and will miss all but a few minutes of the tide.
I used to race in that area and we used that trick many times to pass several boats.
I'll make up a chart for you when the time is nearer.

epiphany
02-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Haven't had a Dogfish, though I admit it sounds intriguing. :)

I'll have a sounder installed for the thin water spots, that might help when I'm following your route. Sounds good! Thanks, Mike!