PDA

View Full Version : Paine 25

commanderpete
01-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Chuck Paine laments the fact that they don't bulid the type of boat he loves anymore. He goes ahead and designs one.

I bet she'll cost about $75,000 when finished.

Looks a little familiar........

http://www.chuckpaine.com/zpaine25.html

frank durant
01-24-2005, 10:19 AM
commander Pete If you think it is close to our ariels.....compare the line drawings and ballist etc to a folkboat or a folkboat "knock off" like a contessa 26.....REAL REAL close !!

ebb
01-25-2005, 07:22 AM
C'pete,
When you said 'familiar'
it got me to thinking of Winslow Homer's famous and frightening painting called 'Gulf Stream'.

You know it, the guy is leaning back on his elbows looking towards the bow of a rigless bahama sailboat. Then you notice the turmoil in the foreground is all sharks, off to windward in the distance a waterspout approachs. Don't think Chuck would like this association!

commanderpete
01-25-2005, 07:49 AM
Yeah, I have that print ebb. Don't put it on the wall though. Too disturbing.

Also reminded me of Winslow Homer's "Breezing Up"

Maybe Chuck Paine is being a little derivative as an artist and designer, but some things are classic for a reason.

Mike Goodwin
01-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Well , Homer wasn't the 1st to do boat painting off the leeward quarter. That is one of the formuli for a tasteful composition in a nautical theme (at least that is what they told us in art school ).
I agree that Payne's painting is very derivitive and more closely related to Homer's, but disagree that the boat design is that much too close to an Ariel . Alberg wasn't the only designer of the era to do a cutaway forefoot , nor the 1st. Also Paynes boat has a transom hung rudder . I think Payne's deckhouse is much nicer than our 'picture windows', personally I like the looks of the Commander better and I bet Alberg did too.
Equating the two designs is like saying a 1948 Ford looks like a 1948 Chevy because it has a wheel in each corner, 4 doors and seats in the middle.

ebb
01-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Hey Mike,
I think I agree with you, now, aesthetically about the deadlights on the Ariel. The Tritons exploded into the boatshows with the 'look'. Obvious the Almighty Alberg liked our class but owned a Commander! The look does match with the cars of the era. But all those designers who took the folkboat and americanized it into a sunday sail on the sound with picnic basket - were derivitive. Coachroof/doghouse - dodge and merk. Who could have imagined a hunter 24 or a j-boat in the 60s?

Wonder where we'ld be now if they had taken the beamy shallow draft bahama fish boats as their starting point?

commanderpete
01-27-2005, 05:57 AM
I'm sure this is going to be a lovely boat.

It's nice to see that a designer like Chuck Paine believes the hull form and style has many virtues. It's not "obsolete."

His Pisces 21 looks to be a honey also. You could pick one of these up for only $ 52,700.

DavidSpaulding
01-27-2005, 07:42 PM
I've seen 2 examples of Classic Boat Shop's Pisces 21 at the Maine Boatbuilders Show in Portland. These boats are flawless and beautiful -- museum pieces! Someday . . . A boy can dream! :rolleyes:

David Spaulding
Ceili, Commander 256
Windham, ME

commanderpete
01-28-2005, 06:20 AM
I wonder why these boats carry such a large mainsail. The mainsail on the Paine 25 is 255 sq. ft.

Take a look at the Tadorne--250 sq. ft.

http://www.tofinou.com/gamme/index.php?bateau=TAD#

I thought our boats had a large mainsail.

ebb
01-28-2005, 07:42 AM
That's no bone in her teeth,
it's a spoonful of sugar!

{Quick serch finds one P.B. Rodgers of Noank CT the US importer. Frp hull with Harken fittings. My limited observation is that the europeans don't know diddly how to make a cozy interior in a stoop cabin. Even an "overnighter", at the price they must be getting for theees bonbon, probably isn't much more than a day racer. Why wouldn't they show the inside with the traditional port/stbrd/fore/aft shots? But this gorgeous babe draws only a foot and a half with the board up. How it go up, eg?]