PDA

View Full Version : Online Maps and Photos

commanderpete
12-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Here's a couple of links to play around with (hope they work)

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm?BPID=MAP0060030900%2C1%2C1%2C0&CFID=187454&CFTOKEN=62908803

http://imageatlas.globexplorer.com/ImageAtlas/view.do?group=ImageAtlas

Some views of the Great South Bay, Long Island, N.Y. and the little Village of Kismet, my favorite place to tie up for lunch.

mbd
02-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Cool! I looked at the GlobeExplorer link and checked out my previous house address. The map was dated 28-April-2001 - I could see my old boat on the hard next to my house! Pretty incredible! :eek:

epiphany
02-16-2005, 11:33 AM
This has got to be one of the oldest sites around - ACME Laboratories. :D I imagine that the"acme.com" domain would have been hot property, and snapped up right off the bat. Site claims "Since 1991", which is back when dinosaurs roamed the 'net. Anyway, check out their mapper - simple, quick, and Coyote-approved. ;)

ACME Mapper (http://mapper.acme.com/)

commanderpete
02-17-2005, 07:05 AM
I wonder if this is the old Pearson factory. Burnside St., Bristol, Rhode Island.

Somebody's still building boats there.

commanderpete
02-17-2005, 07:11 AM
Pretty big boats

mbd
02-17-2005, 07:33 AM
Hey - how did you save those pictures 'CP'?

commanderpete
02-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Just right click on the image and select "save picture as."

Should save it to your computer.

Statue of Liberty

mbd
02-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Nope. Already tried that. Hmm. Maybe I'll try with another browser...

Yup. Firefox doesn't give me the option, but MS Explorer does.

OK - not that anyone cares, but my old house is in the center, old truck in driveway and old boat to the left of the house... You can even see the old dinghy in the backyard! Images of the life that was...

Mike Goodwin
02-17-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm using Firefox and I get 'Save image as' when I right click.

mbd
02-17-2005, 01:17 PM
I should clarify - right clicking works on the forum images, but not from the website. Did you try it while you're in that website? If so I suppose I'll have to comb through the options. I just started using Firefox a couple of months ago - I like it.

epiphany
02-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Sometimes those types of websites will actively discourage people from saving the image. Various methods are used, like the "watermarking" of the image with the "Global Explorer" words across it. I guess they are worried that you will save millions of little pictures to your computer, and start a competing website. ;)

That said, if you can see it on your screen, it is already on your computer, in your "browser cache", which is a folder that holds items (text and images) temporarily for quicker recall should you click the "Back" button. If the image is in your cache, you can save it, if you can find it. It is easiest, if you are doing that, to go to your "Options" or "Preferences", and dump your cache, then reload that page. You won't have to search through hundreds of images that way.

If you do a right-click and get a message in a pop-up window instead of an option box, turn off Javascript in your browser, or try holding down the "Shift" key as you right click. (I learned this while trying to make the Com-Pac Owwners site software a little easier to use for the members.)

As a last resort, and sometimes this is useful, try making what is called a "screen capture", which is a picture of everything on your screen. You can then open that picture in some photo editing software, and edit it to just that part which you need. I've done this at the ACME site, because its larger images are actually several smaller images tiled. You can see that in this image of Winyah Bay, which is actually composed of 20 small arial photos all tiled.
http://liquid-epiphany.com/images/photoalbum/4/winyah_tn.jpg
(The full image is 57K in size, link:http://liquid-epiphany.com/images/photoalbum/4/winyah.jpg )

The only way to get this image other than a screen capture would have been to right-click-save each of the 20 little images, and then "stitch" them all back together - a real pain. :)

commanderpete
02-18-2005, 07:30 AM
No way I'd go swimmin' in the "Great Pee Dee River"

epiphany
02-18-2005, 08:45 AM
C'pete -

What'r'ya, skeered of gators and poisonous snakes? I ain't never seen no gator bigger than 12 ft on our rivers, and though we have every other kind of poisonous snake, we don't have desert rattlers. Nuttin' to be skeered of. ;)

Todays History Lesson:

#1 - The song "Way Down on the S'wanee River" was *originally* worded "...Down on the Pee Dee River."

#2 - For a time, a ways back in time, this Pee Dee/Waccamaw area produced more naval stores (not like West Marine, instead think tar and pitch and straight pine spars) than any other place in the world.

#3 - There was some boat building going on, too. On the bottom of our rivers are some old-growth cypress tree trunks that are worth a ton of money if you can find one. 200+ years old, they'd sink when being floated downriver, and the wood is so good, if you haul it up, it is still useable, and highly sought after.

Bonus Trivia Section: It ain't Pee in the water what makes it black, it's tannins. Take a dip and your hair gets silky smooth. I'm thinking to bottle it, and export to salons in France, as a way of paying for an Ariel refit. ;)

Test next Tuesday.

Mike Goodwin
02-18-2005, 11:15 AM
I once kilt me a coral snake down SowCarolina , brightly colored poisonous bassard he was to be sure . Burned his lil haid off wid 16 blank rounds from a m-16 rifle , heluva muzzle flash it had.

commanderpete
02-18-2005, 11:57 AM
We're going to have to organize a little fishing trip

epiphany
02-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Rhetorical question begs asking:

IF you caught a fish that BIG, and IF you were the size of the old boy on the left (the one you can barely see behind the fish, struggling to hold up his half o' the fish...), would you be standing around in the water?

Not I, says I.

Gar blimey, that's a big old guppy there. It musta been eatin' lotsa grits from a young age. Or maybe thats a nuclear reactor cooling pond.

Mike G - An M-16 & South Cackalacky? Was you down at Parris, or up near Columbia? Thx for your Service, if so. (PS - Next time, use real bullets not blanks, it won't take 16 rounds. :) They teach that in elementary school here. )

Mike Goodwin
02-18-2005, 02:31 PM
I were crawling in the sand near Columbia , if SC ever needed an enema that's where..... well you know .
They wouldn't give us real bullets , or nobody woulda made it to Nam . We'ed all be missing a big toe .

commanderpete
02-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Some nice photos on this site.

http://www.skypic.com/index.html

Montauk Lighthouse, built in 1796

c_amos
02-25-2005, 05:04 AM
I wonder if this is the old Pearson factory. Burnside St., Bristol, Rhode Island.

Somebody's still building boats there.

This might be the answer to mystery....

Fresh off of the sailnet 'Pearson' list;

Pearson looks to be back in the sailboat building business according to the
March issue of Blue Water Sailing.

The US Naval Academy has ordered twenty four Navy 44's from the Pearson
Composites, LLC Warren, RI facility. Designed by David Pedrick, Pearson is
quoted in that magazine as building the boats to "2.7 times ABS
specifications. It's a brick." Delivery starts this summer. Commercial
versions will be available after the Navy order is filled.

Maybe they are being stored at the old factory?

ebb
02-25-2005, 06:59 AM
Hey, look,
that's Wally Pearson down there and
next to him son Joey picking his nose agin!

commanderpete
02-25-2005, 07:44 AM
That could be Proper Yachts, builders of the Alerions. They have an address on Burnside St. in Bristol, and an address in Maine.

http://www.yachtworld.com/properyachts/

Those two boats look huge. Might be brokerage. I think the photo was taken in 2002.

I believe Pearson started building boats at the old Herreshoff Yard in Bristol.

Sometime in the '60s they opened a new factory in Portsmouth.

My builder's plate says Bristol, but who knows?