PDA

View Full Version : ONDINE? Ariel from Delaware to Cincinnati?

Schooner_Scotty
12-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Hi Friends,

I love the Pearson Ariels and once owned a Pearson Electra that we sailed on Lake Erie. An Electra took off a year or two ago with a guy who prepped her for an around the world voyage, but she disappeared!

Does anyone know if a Pearson called ONDINE, with Delaware registration numbers, is an Ariel? We now have one at our boat storage lot in Cincinnati and she looks lovely! I couldn't tell if she was an Ariel or a Triton!

We now are fixing up a 1962 Seafarer Rhodes Meridian, another old keelboat Classic!

A couple of years ago I wrote an article on Carl Alberg for Good Old Boat Magazine. He is one of my favorite designers, along with Philip L. Rhodes!

Schooner Scotty

Bill
12-11-2004, 07:33 PM
No direct information on the boat, but you can tell an Ariel from a Triton by the fact that the Triton has two small opening ports forward of the two large fixed windows -- and two more on the slope between the raised portion and the forward portion of the cabin trunk.

Bill
12-11-2004, 07:36 PM
We do have an Ariel in the db with the name Ondine II. Maryland registration.

commanderpete
12-13-2004, 05:52 AM
Nice boat that Meridian, very similar to an Ariel.

Here's my friend's 1964 Meridian

DHodson
12-20-2004, 09:26 AM
I once owned a Pearson Ariel that was named Ondine. I believe the boat had a Delaware registration when I purchased it and I maintained the registration. I had the boat restored which included painting the hull navy blue. On the transom is the a custom-designed painting of the name with an Ondine, which is French for a water sprite, sitting in the "O." I sold the boat a few years ago and last I heard it was taken to Missouri. If this is the boat that you have, please let me know.

David Hodson

Schooner_Scotty
12-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Hi David,

Yes, Indeed, this ONDINE has a awlgrip looking navy blue hull with a lovely painting on the transom of a watersprite with the name and she still carries her Delaware registration!

I don't know who owns her, but she is new to the Cincinnati boatyard!

She is a beauty and someone added smoke glass ports, too!

Schooner Scotty

Bill
12-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Hey Schooner, can you get us the hull number, the reg number and maybe a name and conctact for the owner? We would sure like to add ONDINE to our registry.

DHodson
12-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes, that is my former Ariel. I added the smoked glass ports. It would be nice to know who owns her now. I wish that I hadn't sold her.

David

epiphany
12-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Scotty -

I don't know if you know him already or not, but I know a fellow by the name of Charlie Jones who is currently rebuilding a '61 Meridian hull-out. He posts on the Trailer Sailor bulletin board a lot. If you don't know him, you should get in touch - he is a real craftsmen, a nice guy, and both an accomplished boatbuilder and sailor.

Here's the TSBB link:

TSBB (http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/tsbbcomp/trailersailor/index.cgi)

Here are some of the boats CJ's built:

Harmony Boatworks (http://www.harmonyboatworks.com/opener.html)

and a pic of one of one of the boats he built:

http://www.harmonyboatworks.com/new_boats/weekender2.jpg

Schooner_Scotty
12-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Hi Friends,

The Mystery boat, most likely a Pearson Ariel, has Delaware registration number: DL1947H. She has been beautifully repainted a year or two ago (or fairly recently) with a lovely handpainted picture of a Ondine Sprite on her transom. She is a dark blue hull, with a white sheer and dark red bottom paint, white cabin house and deck, with replaced smoke plexiglass ports. She is on a tandem trailer!

I will try and find out about her owner!

Schooner Scotty

DHodson
12-29-2004, 10:49 AM
That is the registration number for my old Ondine. Looks like the current owner maintained the Deleware registration.

David