PDA

View Full Version : working jib

willie
10-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Been digging around for some sails, asked Sail Exchange about some, and they came back with a surplus new Doyle working jib for $295. Anyone familiar with Doyle sails? Couldn't come up with a main yet. I thought that was a pretty good price for a jib, so just thought i'd pass it on. Toooo cold to sail up here. Booooo. Burrrrrrrrrr :rolleyes:

Bill
10-30-2004, 11:00 PM
FYI - Here is the deal Hogan Sails was offering the Ariel association 18 months ago:

ARIEL CLASS SAILS

MAIN 160 sq ft. 6.4 OZ super firm Dacron $ 1082.00
one reef 120.00
flattener 25.00
shelf foot 40.00
$ 1267.00

DISCOUNT APPLIED $ 988.00

Main includes bag, battens (top two full if desired), cunningham, and numbers.

JIB 25 sq. ft. 6.4 super firm Dacron $ 620.00

same sail with tri radial construction having
varying weights of cloth from 7.4 to 6.4 oz. $ 720.00

DISCOUNT APPLIED $ 484.00

RACE CUT JIB $ 540.00

GENOA 217 sq ft. 3 oz Dacron $ 759.00

same sail made like the jib, but lighter wt cloths $ 859.00

DISCOUNT APPLIED $ 592.00

RACE CUT GENOA $ 670.00

The Hogan's encouraged the new owners to continue offering us a discount.

Hogan Sails
1801-D Clement Avenue
Alameda, CA 94501
(510) 523-4388

For E-mailing, go to hoginsails member profile.

c_amos
11-17-2004, 09:48 AM
As posted in the gallery, I am in need of a new head sail.

I spoke with 'JV' at Hogan, he said the prices are still good.

I am leaning twords the tri-radial headsail, but the $720 does not include the suncover, which will be about another $315.

What do you guys think?

c_amos
11-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Bacon says 'around $925' for a coastal 6.4oz head sail similar to what I have (had) which was about a 140%

Made by united sailmaking (?)

commanderpete
11-17-2004, 12:39 PM
$315 seems like alot for the suncover, but its probably what they get.

Can you cannibalize the suncover off the old sail?
Probably just held on with two rows of stitching. Shouldn't be too hard to put it on the new sail, or have somebody do it for you cheap.

c_amos
11-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Maybe so, I had not thought of that.

I have a race I really wanted to sail in this weekend, I wonder if I could tie my old hank on jib to the profurl extrusion with short pieces of line so I could at least go around the course?

WWhat do you guys think>?

c_amos
04-18-2005, 05:03 AM
Got my new sails this afternoon,

:D

Loose foot, full batten main, with two reef points.

150% Genoa with 3 sets of tell tails, sunbrella cover for the pro-furl roller.

The sail maker is Paul, great guy. Took lots of time with me, explained benefits and detractors of various options, and listened to what I wanted.

I got a pair of custom made, top quality sails for less then it was going to cost me for a pair of imports.

Will post pictures soon.

http://www.omarsail.com/

Mike Goodwin
04-18-2005, 07:22 AM
How much $$ ?

c_amos
04-18-2005, 06:44 PM
:D Went for a sail today. :D

Very pleased. I was most surprised by the way the boat seemed to heel less for a given wind. I guess it was because my old main was so badly bagged.

I might not have chosen to buy new sails had I not blown my head sail last fall. I have been sailing on a Jerry rigged working jib flown from a wire leech. Has not worked too well, but I was able to finish 5th of 8 in the first of our Spring regattas with it.

If anyone is on the fence, I can recommend going ahead. The first sail on the new sails has made a believer out of me.

The quote from Nov 30 2004 was;*

The fabric he recommended was actually 6.4oz, but I requested the 7.1oz.

~ Main, 3 reef points, 7.1oz Dacron, triple stitched, 4 full battens, Ronstat batten receptacle. $1275

~ 100% Roller furling jib, 7.1oz Dacron, subrella cover, leech and foot lines, tell tails and bag. $782

~ 120% Roller furling jib, 7.1oz Dacron, subrella cover, leech and foot lines, tell tails and bag. $782

~ 155% Roller furling jib, 7.1oz Dacron, subrella cover, leech and foot lines, tell tails and bag. $782

~ Cruising Chute, 1.5 Nylon, $1934

~ Spinnaker, .75 Nylon, $2268

~ Staysail, $555

Main and 120% RF Genoa package $2000 + tax.

%50 deposit, with balance on delivery.

* (of course you need to contact him for a current quote).

I went with the package, but elected to go with the %150.

c_amos
02-21-2006, 10:47 AM
A year later, I am very pleased with these sails.

The only regrets I have are that I did not listen to Paul on a couple of things he recommended.

I elected to have 'no roach'. For those who may no know, (as I did not) the roach is the part of the sail that extends past the straight line between the clue and the head. I did not want any roach, as I was concerned about the sail hitting the back stay on tacks (especially with the full battens I was going for).

Looking at the main, it is not even close. I could have chosen a full roach, and it would not have hit at all. I don't know how much of a difference it would have made.... nor will I. But I should have listened.

Also, he recommended the 6.4oz dacron for the %150. I went with the heavier 7.1oz.... and know it in light winds. Again, I should have listened to Paul.

Great sails though, I can still recommend http://www.omarsail.com/ (http://www.omarsail.com/) a year later.

pkodanko
02-21-2006, 04:09 PM
i made a purchase on a storm jib for my 20'(which i used quite a bit) from the sail warehouse(www.thesailwarehouse.com)....on my ariel the main and jib are new, from Halsey Sails, haven't used them yet, but i plan on purchasing a new genny from them(sail warehouse) and will let you know how it performs....$835; triple stitched, tell tales, draft stripes, 5 oz....the whole nine yards...although you boys from cali are going to have to pay 7.25% sales tax(if you get it delivered to ca.)...

pk

Rico
04-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Any more insight on recent sail purchases for Ariels/Commanders?

What do you use...? What do you like/ dislike?

Does anyone have experiance with sails with Roach? It would be an interesting look for an Ariel / Commander...

A~

c_amos
04-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Does anyone have experiance with sails with Roach?

I had my main 'streight cut' against my sailmakers advice. I wish I had gone with some roach, there is pleanty of room before it would hit the backstay.... see earlier post.

After 3 seasons of racing, and 2500 miles of cruising I would still recommend OmarSail.com.

I do still like the full battens, and would go with them again. I did spend most days with a wrap or two around the furler, so I might have been better off with a 130 or so for cruising....