PDA

View Full Version : 23' Kenner Kittiwake

ebb
10-27-2004, 04:55 PM
This is a visual treat. All of you working on an Alberg know how difficult it is to create space below, even the illusion of space with the master's slack bilges and short waterlines. Well, here is a transformation of classic Alberg that is truly amazing.

There is a 23 foot (emphasize that!) Kittiwake for 12 grand on YachtWorld.com. What I do when I tour is hit The Boats For Sale bar up in the left top - when the menu appears I select 'used' and 'sail' - then type in 23' "to" 23' in the space provided. That's it - then "Submit" to open the lists. This way you get every 23' bote for sale in the states and europe. Travel down the pages as you wish, but get to page 7 (as it currently exists!) and look for the $12,000 Kenner Kittiwake. Click the Salon Aft and Salon Fwd photos......behold......!

You can't have ever seen a more lovely, well planned out remodel. It takes a lot for this old fart to say something like that. This is the best I've ever seen. The Kitiwake is tiny compared to the Ariel (But maybe it compares WELL to the Commander!)

The guy or gal who did this didn't miss a lick. It is genius, masterful, delightful, extraodinary. Check out what was done to the space. Check out the trim and the restraint in placing it. It's a tribute to Carl, and beyond compare.

You never run across remodels on YachtWorld. People sell their yachts as untouched to get the highest price. Character boats, woodies, custom, and one off are few and far but always worthy of a stop. What you see in this boat is truly out of the ordinary, it's a fluke that it is listed. Considering what $12,000 can buy these days, this Kitiwake is a bargain. Can you imagine arriving at this boat and pushing the hatch back and being greeted by this inviting cabin?

ebb
10-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Just edjucated myself a bit on these Kittiwakes, I'm sure I've seen them, but they didn't look anything like these Kenners. Must be mistaken! Can't retract a single thing I said in my surprise discovery - but what you see is NOT a remodel - they evidently came that way. Still worthy of study in micro space management.

One way t'other I'll be Kennerizing the interior of 388 very soon. :o

[There is a small Kittiwake registry site I've just visited. There were three builders over the years, Kenner the first and most prolific. Seem to be enthusiastic owners who would really shine if they had an elaborate board like this one. K's are more spare and lighter, seem to have more sheer, and only 6" less in waterline. But pure Alberg.]

Jim Wiles
10-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Ebb,
The Kittiwakes are fine looking little boats aren't they! I was so taken by them that I just bought one as a second boat! We are taking our Ariel to Michigan and keeping Kitti on our home lake. As soon as I leave you here I'm going to the web site to check out the one that you saw! We purchased #526 which was made by River City Marine.
Jim

commanderpete
10-28-2004, 05:53 AM
All right Jim! Now you've got a fleet.

Here's the link

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&checked_boats=1275837&slim=quick&

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/2/7/5/8/1275837_5.jpg

SkipperJer
10-28-2004, 06:22 AM
If anyone is interested, there is a derelict Kittiwake available in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. It is in the water but in rough shape: spongy decks, rainwater below and grimy, mast off and on the dock. All the parts are there for a glorious restoration (see above photo) but the Downtown Sailing Center (DSC) has refused it as a donation because they do not have the manpower to restore it.

I learned to sail at the DSC and sailed another Kittiwake that was there before this one. Sailing one of these boats is what convinced me to buy an Alberg design.

This boat can probably be had for the cost of title transfer. However, there is no trailer and the DSC does not have a lift. That said, I can rustle up a crew and an outboard and get it delivered by water to almost any location in the upper/middle Chesapeake Bay area as a "premium" in return for a modest donation. The money would go to the Downtown Sailing Center's handicapped sailing program or Sailors In Training class that teaches Baltimore inner city high school students to be DSC sailing instructors. I might even be able to convince one of our local boatyards to take it out of the water and put it on your trailer as a matching gift to that modest donation. If you're interested I'll consider any and all schemes and offers. This boat needs a second chance and the Downtown Sailing Center always needs help doing some wonderful things for kids on the water.

It will be hard to reach anyone at the DSC this time of year so contact me and we'll make something happen.
Jerry McCann
(send me an e-mail off the board or leave contact information here)