PDA

View Full Version : T-SHIRTS ANYONE?

willie
08-16-2004, 08:45 AM
I want an Ariel t-shirt, and my daughter makes silk screen t-shirts, so thought i'd see if anyone else wanted one. Or some. There's a set up fee, so the more the merrier. Thought i'd get the specs, and the line plans on the back, Pearson, finest in fiberglass, etc....
i'm thinking good old white, with black ink on the back.
you can email me at
wwhoover@centurytel.net

And by the way, she sails like a dream!!!I short tacked her into the slip no problem.

Bill
08-16-2004, 11:26 AM
No need to reinvet the wheel. The association has T-shirts:

These great looking Hanes 100% cotton "BEEFY Ts" come with a large Ariel logo on the back and a small logo in the pocket area on the front. Price is $10:50 + $4.50 S&S for 1 - 4 shirts. Add $3.50 for long sleeves.

Basball caps too, with the flying "A." Caps are $7.50 + $3.50 S&S for 1 - 4 caps.

Send your order to:

Gene Roberts
Ariel Association
2085 - 14th Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94116

willie
08-17-2004, 03:25 PM
This is basically what will be on the back, they're pretty Ariel specific, nice cotton t's. How about $14.95, i'll ship for free. Have sizes from kids on up to XL. Already got the shirts coming, or I wouldn't have done this, now that i know you have shirts! What do they look like, by the way?

E me at wwhoover@centurytel.net if you'd like one. Thanks:p

willie
08-17-2004, 04:49 PM
see next post for image. probably too small! Sorry Bill:rolleyes:

willie
08-17-2004, 04:54 PM
hopefully this will work for me this time.It will be a lot clearer, had to reduce file size.

Jim Wiles
08-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Bill,

I have tried twice to send a private email but both times I get a mail error message and non delivery.
I'll take two mediums in white when they are ready. Let me know what I owe and I'll send you a check.
Your boat looks really great!! I so glad you have finally had some quality time on her under sail!
Jim

willie
08-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Hey, thanks Jim. I was hoping someone would want about 20! At this rate, the kids and i will be in t shirts into the 22nd century!~

Man, this singlehanding-engineless (stuff) is kicking my butt. Can i say that? Anyway, was going pretty good until the damn tack fitting on the jib let loose. I was in the process of short tacking out the marina, union pacific rr on port, guest dock on stbrd. with about 40' of water between. I started out with just the main, didn't really want to mess with the jib in close quarters, but about half way out decided i needed it. One tack, and it lets loose. So now what skippy? Did i mention the 20+knot headwind? Now the jib and sheets are doing the roller furler thing around the headstay without a furler. And about 10' up the stay. Guess we better just try and head back, no way i'm gonna be able to fix this now. So the jibe went ok, well, nothing broke anyway. We're smokin' pretty good back to home slip, so douse the main, glad i ran them back to the cockpit. Going great, turn back into wind on final, looking great, then she stops dead. 5' short. Crap. Now we're loosing ground drifting back, rocks about 30' behind us. Not a soul in sight. Guess i need cooled off anyway. We're not going around again with this mess! So i toss the line, and take a jump. Maybe if i practice up on my long jump i can make it next time!I did remember to empty pockets and leave glasses on deck in the heat of the moment.
I should have known better than to use that stupid fitting, i even gave it some pretty good yanks when putting it on to see if it was ok. It's one of those clam shell hook thingys, with the sides of it coming together at the top. Anyway, it's at the bottom of the marina now.
They didn't cover this in sailing school! Learning curve is steep. Guess we came out ok, no dents.

So, the big question is, what do ya do when (stuff) like this happens? And you're by yourself in tight quarters?

Guess i could have tossed the anchor off the bow, and got things sorted out, but i don't know what's down there. I do know they flooded the old town of Arlington when they put in the dam back in the 60's, so who knows what's down there. Might be some interesting diving! I did consider the anchor, but thought i would probably be adding another potential disaster to what i already had going on.
Anyway, if you're all getting a good laugh, that's good. Sometimes you just have to laugh. But i'm really wondering about this no engine thing.
:rolleyes:

marymandara
08-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Aw...

Everybody needs some excitement now and again!

Besides, having an engine to start would have been just one more thing to add, instead of things to subract like any good pilot does one thing at a time when it's all going south.

Personally, yeah, I'd have dropped the hook off and got it sorted out...but I really like the image of the swimming skipper! See, think in retrospect now, if you had time to empty your pockets neatly things weren't as bad as they might have been.

I thought I sent you a good tack shackle, too...please don't tell me IT was the one that went south!

If nothing else, you found out how much windage all that stuff hanging off the headstay had, huh? See, now you know...and if you ever have that problem again you'll just go in a bit hotter and then hop off and choke her with the waist spring. You're doin' great! And...nobody has named you "Breakwater Bill"! LOL!

Man...with that swimming act, it's "Wild Bill" for sure!

I take it we didn't have a pike pole handy and there was nothing on the dock to grab, huh?

OK, I stop.<GGG>

Any landing you can walk away from...
(and I swear it gets less exciting)

Dave

willie
08-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Here's what they look like. Turned out pretty nice i think. I have about 30 to get rid of, various sizes. All white, blue ink. $14.95, i'll pay shipping. Thanks.

Jim Wiles
08-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Bill, The shirts look great; I stand by my order.

In 35 yrs. of sailing I've done my share of stupid things for sure, and it is hard to believe but things normally come out o.k. I've done things like sail between the buoy and the dinghy( the wind changed) and how I got that keel over the belly in the bowlines without touching them I'll never know! One funny: Our kids grew up on the boat and when they were small a Teddy bear went whizzing by my head ( having been tossed from the forward hatch) and we immediately had a bear overboard drill under sail. Successful recovery! After that we every now and then purposely threw something in to recover and made a good safety point to the kids!
We all should compile our misadventures and write a book!
Jim

tcoolidge
08-26-2004, 09:56 PM
Ah, the first of what will be many vivid memories and a not so subtle reminder that as soon as you cast off your dockllines the adventures begin. I've found it useful to remember that Murphy (of Murphy's law) was a sailor.
I must say that you seem to have handled the excitement well given that Ave Maria didn't get to meet any rocks and everyone made it home. Would agree about dropping the anchor to get a grip on the situation and buy some time to figure out plan B. And those pricey Wichard shackles are worth every penny.
If you're committed to going to go motorless, have you considered a long sculling oar as a means of propulsion? The Pardeys did motorless circumnavigations in heavier boats using one and swore by them.

Tom