PDA

View Full Version : main sail wanted

Ted
07-15-2004, 07:17 AM
I would like to buy a used main sail for hull number 56. She has luff of 25' and foot of 10'8". Does anybody have one they would like to sell?

Tony G
08-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Ted,
Are you running under a different mast and boom? I've decided to sell my Neil Pryde main but the luff and foot are longer. It was two seasons old when I bought the boat. It's several years old now but I don't think they count as much when it doesn't come out of the bag. Already has the Ariel logo on it. It also has 113 on it.:eek: Let me know if you're interested. Tony G

Now that I think about it, it might be a Sobstad rather than a Neil Pryde. I'll pull it out of my sail room and look. It just goes to show, you just gotta look at your junk every now and then.:D

Ted
08-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Tony,

Well it would certainly be nice to have a mainsail land in my lap -- I have been bidding on e-bay and calling sail warehouses looking for something that has the features I want and is affordable. To answer your question, I am running the original mast and boom except for a couple of coats of Awlgrip!

My main has a luff of 25'6" and a foot of 11'. You said yours was longer how much? Well, I guess here are the pertinent questions....

Luff?
Foot?
Who made it? Neil Pryde or Sobstad?
Any idea of the dacron weight?
Is the luff rope?
Cunningham?
Loose foot?
External slides?
Number of reefs?
Partial or full battons?
Why are you thinking of selling it -- were you happy with it?
Do you need any spare parts for your Ariel? I have quite a stockpile! Hatches, rigging, boom, mast, ....

Thanks for contacting me! If you want to move out of the thread -- e-mail me at ... (address deleted for security reasons. Go to Ted's profile and click on "e-mail ted" to send your message.)

Ted

Tony G
08-01-2004, 08:33 PM
I might, might be able to get a 27' luff on 113's mast if I can hoist the main high enough to get the headboard even with the center bolt of the main sheave and then use a down haul to pull the boom way down. Hmm, maybe I'm not running the original stick? Here's some pics...

Tony G
08-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Don't know what's up with the small pic...

Tony G
08-01-2004, 08:36 PM
...and...

Tony G
08-01-2004, 08:38 PM
...and the bad part...

John
08-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Sailrite lists the dimensions as:

I= 31.5 ft (Mast ht)
Luff = 27 ft
Foot = 11.92 ft

Ted
09-03-2004, 01:54 PM
Sailrite may list them as such, but I don't believe that I could get a 27' luff tight on my original equipment. And if one has a bimini, one might want even shorter than the 25'6" that my original sail's luff. Alberg was well known for having LOTS of sail area and I find that in most enjoyable conditions that a bit less main makes for a more balanced helm. With one reef and a working jib I can leave the helm of Chalupa and go below to mix another adult beverage. Granted, since I drink straight bourbon, mixing does not take long, but she will stail on a beam reach all day under those sails. I believe that most of the sail making sites are really listing for Pearson 26's, not for Pearson Aerials. Later 26's has longer masts.