PDA

View Full Version : A-191 PARRANDA

Bill
07-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Joe Antos is working on his latest Ariel project -- PARRANDA. (Don't have a clue about the name, but it's cool) :cool: So far, Joe has removed the teak coamings and replaced them with a white plastic from the local Tap Plasitics store. More photos after there is more progress, but a couple of intersting items follow.

First, Joe is replacing the cabin top grab rails with stainless steel (only one of the two on each side, so far). Good place to attach halyards --

Bill
07-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Another use for ss rails is to have a hand hold on the foredeck and to prevent the jib sheets from getting stuck under the lip of the hatch cover (sometimes opening it!). Another good place to attach halyards.

ebb
07-13-2004, 07:26 PM
very nice indeed,

Have exceeding interest in photo of coamingsa and material used!!

Bill
07-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Joe has installed the second cabin top grab rail. A machine shop would likely make a two (or more) looped grab rail if one requested.

Bill
07-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Here is another example of a way to keep the jib sheets from lifting or getting stuck under the forward hatch cover. A teak block rail . . .

Bill
07-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Or, a teak grab rail . . .

Bill
07-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Now, about those plastic coamings Joe has installed . . .

Bill
07-15-2004, 03:10 PM
And another look . . . (I've E-mailed Joe for the name of the plastic . . .)

Bill
07-15-2004, 07:41 PM
. . . they called it Seaboard...... the two pieces were around $150.00 or a bit less... If I had them cut it, there would have been less waste because I had two planks cut... Joe

[Note: the plastic is white in color. I don't think it can be painted, but will see what Joe does with it.]

george copeland
07-21-2004, 12:05 PM
For the love of all that is holy! Stainless grabrails? Plastic coamings? I pray that no whisper of this heresy ever rises to phantomed ears of the noble Alberg, nor reaches the gleaming, varnished warmth of my Houdini's (A-407) teak and mahogany expanses. Heaven itself might run aground. Remember: practicality has its limits. It IS a sailboat, afterall.

ebb
07-21-2004, 01:12 PM
But ask yourself if boat trim is "a means to an end or an end in itself." Are not teak and mahogany symbols of beauty for the embellishment of the aristocratic and wealthy? While stainless steel and plastic is the very essence of durability and practicality.

It is the unvarnished truth that fancy woods require a constant application of enamels, oils, and varnish. There is something to be said for the existential approach to yacht maintenance and more time sailing!:D

george copeland
07-21-2004, 02:34 PM
The work to maintain, nay enhance, the fine woods on one of these classics is the homage one pays the boating gods for our good fortune to hold and care for one of these fine boats, Grasshopper. To suggest that one should concentrate only on the recreational use of these fine boats is to deny the ennobling example to be found in those who preserve and restore these beauties simply because they are beautiful and rare and graceful without effeminacy. I'll have to take a stand in favor of metaphysical Ariel ownership. I'll keep sanding and varnishing and being too proud of my little gem. Who's with me on this? Commanderpete?

glissando
07-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Are not teak and mahogany symbols of beauty for the embellishment of the aristocratic and wealthy?
Oh please...

Regular people can like varnished wood too.

Do what makes you happy and never attempt to compell others to your beliefs. To each their own, and that's fine.

ebb
07-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Lookey here mr Lackey - has summer come yet to warm your cockles up, you ole downeaster? I can write plain vanilla when I have to, you know. Perhaps you miss the point and have a bit of unsubstantiated scolding to vent. Dear Sir! was trying to be interlocater between two widely amusing disparate approaches to yacht maintenance and yacht appoiointments.

We ARE talking here about A191 Parranda, to which you have an opinion or no. His workmanship is as fine as any I've seen on your well publisized Triton 381 pages. And Skipper Copeland is a literate Ariel owner in his own right. He is funny. too.:p

george copeland
07-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Seems Ebb has taken the floor on our behalf, Joe--though you and I entertain diametrically opposed aesthetics, apropos the ectomorphic Alberg's nautical children. Too bad for Mr. Lackey, though. In bringing Ebb out, he seems to have called forth the more clannish demons among us Ariel and Commander devotees. But I am grateful. Sir Ebb, thank you for the review. However, you should know My Nearly Perfect Wife suggests you have unwittingly contributed to her personal annoyance in suggesting some putative humor amid my remarks. Rest assured: for her insubordination, she will be sent to the engine room to tune-up my A-4 and see to an oil change. This will mollify her, this will calm her inner-raging deck ape. You have to keep the enlisted men in check, you know.

commanderpete
07-22-2004, 06:07 AM
Whatever makes you happy.

Me? I think the wood makes the boat. But I was born to suffer.

What if the Commander were built today?

george copeland
07-22-2004, 07:26 AM
Hey, put some clothes on that fine lady. Make it teak, though. It would be disrespectful to mount too much bling-bling on her.

george copeland
07-25-2004, 09:19 AM
I post these here as an enticement to lure Parranda's prodigal skipper back into the fold of True Believers. Come home, Joe! Re-live the warmth and pleasures of good teak and mahogany, my apostate friend.

george copeland
07-25-2004, 10:32 AM
See if this works.

ebb
07-25-2004, 10:32 AM
King Starboard is an expensive marine polymer sheet. To say something is marine grade polymer is equal to saying a certain kind of wood is composed of cellulose. It is sold as an ALTERNATIVE TO TEAK. The material is UV resistant, requires no maintenance, won't rot, check, move or delaminate. Comes in light color shades and black, and dense and light forms with anti-skid pattrer(s) on one side.

Befor you decide to use it, no where in any literature is glue mentioned. My guess it is a type of expanded polyethylene. So you're pretty much left to mechanical fastenings. I would be interested to know if any calking will hold in the coaming to deck joint.

Bill
03-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Joe has painted the boat (with a brush) and installed more hardware. Here are the primaries:

Bill
03-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Insalled the traverler system (Note that it is 4-to-1):

Bill
03-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Cabin top control arrangement - starboard side:

Bill
03-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Prior owner welded this window frame:

Bill
03-16-2005, 03:02 PM
The recommended gooseneck mast fitting (on Joe's earlier Ariel, now known as Cat Walk - formerly Lickety Split)

Bill
03-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Here's the replacement boom end fitting on Cat Walk. (Boom was also replaced.) Allows the outhaul and reefing line to be inside the boom.

JOE ANTOS
04-03-2005, 10:43 PM
I had to make a change in the coaming since it was rotton...I miss the finish of wood but do not care for the up keep....I plan to make a grate for the cockpit and have some nice teak drops for the compainionway...also re working the interior which will be pretty stock...rigging is very important to me and I have reduced the size of cleats on deck to save my knees!!! After racing a few seasons I found what was a pain to deal with and want running rigging to work fast when I am out in the bay...BTW,I have fished off the boat and we have caught some nice halibut...This spring is when the run comes in for about two months...How about a fishing derby this year??? Joe :cool:

commanderpete
04-07-2005, 10:25 AM
The Ariel Crew celebrates a good day of halibut fishing

Tim61N
04-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Commanderpete, that Ariel must have been riding pretty LOOOOOOW in the water on the way back!!!! :eek:
BTW, this photo was taken at "J-dock" in Seward, AK, on Resurrection Bay, one of my favorite sailing (and kayaking) spots! Of course also one of many great spots for Halibut fishing in AK. Resurrection Bay is IMHO the best sailing close to the Anchorage area (about 1.5 hours from Anchorage). I just wish the season were longer!

ElBeethoven
05-31-2005, 04:22 PM
A question for Joe:

Do you plan on partially covering the stainless steel handrails with something a bit more tacky? From personal experience, (OK, yours truly, the skipper fell overboard one night) stainless, esp. WET stainless is not the most secure hand grab. In defense of wood, which I also consider a royal PIA to take care of, bare teak does provide a lot of grip.

Just a thought from a new member, a new member whose idea of "brightwork" is Windexing the mirror in the head......

:-)

JOE ANTOS
05-31-2005, 11:52 PM
I never gave that much thought....but I can understand the night mist being more slippery....I feel that they are secure and a good hold...at least for me...The plus is not having to try to keep them up with varnish for me.. I also like the new and old look combined with the boat...Good sailing!! Joe