PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for Event

Ed Ekers
05-24-2004, 06:58 AM
I want to thank Bill Phelon for pulling together this years Hoppe Regatta. It was good to get together and see old friends and share tales. I really appreciate Bills efforts, and hope he knows how much he means to our association.

I was very disappointed not seeing more of our new members there. Out of the forty something boats that are registered in the S.F. bay area I was the only one at the start line for the cruise around the island. To my knowledge I was the only one who even got on his boat that day. I don't understand why people join a fleet organization and then don't participate in the events we host. Maybe I look at things different buy if I am going to pay to join something I am at least going to try to get something out of it. I sail a lot on Pathfinder and I see people (fleets) sailing around all the time with each other. They seem to be having a good time.(?) Geez we even sailed right through a fleet of Olson 25's on our way to the dinner and they even looked like they were enjoying it! Maybe our members just like to waddle around in an eddie and figure that is what sailing is all about.

Enough of my ranting. Thanks to Bill and Gene Roberts and all those who attended. It was fun, the food was great, the tales and tips were funny and helpful, and I look forward to the next time we all get together........ Anyone want to go sailing??.........ed

French
05-24-2004, 10:45 AM
Well, I was up for the trip. An all day passage for me to get there.

I got a late start on Friday. Going against the wind, current, tide. after 2 hours motoring to the Cartinez Bridge , then another 2 hours undersail and motor just made it past the Vallejo entrance, with wind increasing. 25-35 knots. I got to thinking, maybe this is too much...

Shortly after that, the jib sheets, wrapped around each other and formed a knot. Then the jib wrapped up and would not come down. No way to control the boat and free up the mess. I could kept motoring, but would have been well into the night or early morning before I reached Point Richmond.

this IS too much...

Aborted the misson, just before the boom brake broke.

Sat. still high winds and small boat advisory for my area...

Sunday sailing was great! I'm pretty sure I saw an Ariel in the distance...

Maybe next year will be better for more people...

Bill
05-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the bouquets, Ed. We all had a good time. And French, we’re glad you tried and happy you managed to stay out of trouble.

Here are a few photos of the event. First, the Hoppe Memorial Regatta:

Ed approaching the committee boat.

Bill
05-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Ed returning after passing the committee boat (That's the Bay Bridge behind him where they are building the replacement for the Eastern span):

Bill
05-24-2004, 11:55 AM
THE START!

Bill
05-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Gathering at the Oakland Yacht Club bar:

Bill
05-24-2004, 12:02 PM
MAINTENANCE SEMINAR

Ed Ekers
05-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Are our boats great looking or what. Every Ariel/Commander I see sailing looks great to me. The bigger the wind the better the picture, In my opinion.......ed

Ed Ekers
05-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Hey French,
I thought that was what happened to you. It would have been a rough trip given the conditions. We should try to plan a mid point rendezvous some time. Maybe later in the summer. If you have anything planned going south let me know. If schedules work I could sail north to meet up with you.

There is an Ariel owner that lives in Larkspur who is always inviting us to sail to his house. He has a dock in his back yard where he keeps his boat (#222)...Maybe we should all just overwhelm him some time..............ed

French
05-24-2004, 03:44 PM
Ed, you were right.

It was getting rough, and Kuan Yin and I were not ready. Well me more than her...
However any sailing that you get back safe and dry from is good. Also I got to learn a few things, made some adjustments, check out my outboard under pressure and different conditions and bond more with Kuan Yin under sail. I'm glad I started out with a full reefed sail, it would have been very hairy otherwise...

Something near about half way would be good.

Before I got married , I was with a group called the single sailors. They went out every weekend on a few boats, to someplace, angel island, china camp, etc. Hangout, drank beer, BBQ'd, hike, Kaboom. Point is it, does not have to be anything costly or elaborate for the group/or some of the group to sail someplace or do something.
I'm up for it. With as many members in the Area as there are we should be able to do something that more folks would be interested in...

I was surprise when I heard there was only going to be two Ariels in the Hoppe this year

maybe an activity suggestion list...

French
05-26-2004, 03:22 PM
Just where is Larkspur, sounds familiar...?

Ed Ekers
05-27-2004, 07:58 AM
French,

If you were traveling west on the Richmond/San Rafael bridge as you came off the bridge you would be driving into the town of Larkspur. ..........ed

Hull376
05-29-2004, 12:59 PM
The Texas fleet would love to participate. We need to plan ahead for next year---- you know, reserve our place in line to go through the Panama Canal and all. :p

Bill
05-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Ok, you will be on the early warning notice list for the 2005 event . . . :D