PDA

View Full Version : Newbee

Michael
05-22-2004, 06:53 AM
I am now the owner of Hull 75. Got it yesterday. Would like some help in locating a trailer to haul it home for some work that needs to be done and to store it. Northern Cal. location.
michael

Ed Ekers
05-22-2004, 07:25 AM
Skipper,

Welcome aboard. The boat you now own is a legend in the Ariel class. It was owned by a fellow named Don Morrision. As I sit and write this I can see the Ariel Class season championship trophy, and it shows #75 as the season champion 20 times! The first season it raced and won was in 1965. Don retired from racing Jubilee just a couple of years ago. The very last race he and 75 participated in they won.

I had the privilege of dueling it out with him since the mid 80's. I know if you look hard enough you might find some of the gel coat from Pathfinder on his rails. I also know that we have a large patch on our starboard top side form one very hard hit taken in the heat of the battle.

One thing that always amazed me was how stock Don kept the boat but was always so much faster the all of us. This while we added every little go fast adjustment we could and still remain class legal. Number 75 was fast for Ariels and sailed at a level higher than most people could ever hope to achieve. Don and his boat were truly one connected by the wind and the sea.

Enjoy her and take good care of the ol' gal, she earned it......Ed Ekers - #77 - Pathfinder

Bill
05-22-2004, 09:03 AM
Here is a possible sourec:

<<<<<
Do any Ariel sailors have interest in or does the Association have an interest in developing a trailer for Ariel transport? I have a frame that requires a new leaf spring and set of axles. Let me know.

Hasta,
Dave Craig
>>>>>

You can reach Dave at: (831) 685-2449 in La Selva Beach (near Santa Cruz).

Michael
05-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Ed.
It is nice to have a bit of history on this fine boat. Wish that I was staying in the bay I would race her. But she is going to the fresh water and just sailed for a while. Come and visit some time.
michael

tcoolidge
05-22-2004, 06:39 PM
I think Bill Hoover (willie) had a trailer made for his Ariel so he could take it home to the outback of Oregon and take care of it there. Somewhere he has a posting with details. He's very helpful if you send him an email.

Tom

Michael
05-23-2004, 07:19 AM
tcoolidge,
Thanks for the tip. I have seen some of his pics.
michael