PDA

View Full Version : Still Scrounging

marymandara
04-08-2004, 12:43 AM
I'm real big on the midboom (more-or-less midboom, that is) vang setup. I had one on C280, and will be doing likewise on the Triton. Of course, the Commander one was probably more effective than the Triton version will be seeing as how the bridgedeck to which I anchored it was so far forward!

Anyway, on 280 I used a vang strap--the kind with the plates that grip the footrope groove in the boom. It worked, but I found that it jammed the footrope from releasing easily when adjusting the outhaul unless the vang was first fully slacked off and the plates given a jiggle. Sorta inconvenient.

I do have a vang strap for the Triton, but would really prefer one of the original-type "sliding horseshoes". I've been looking for one that was both the right size and in sound condition for literally years...first for the Commander, now for the new boat...same part, same fruitless search. If anyone has one they do not need or want, please get in touch?

Thanks,
Dave

mrgnstrn
04-08-2004, 09:02 AM
Call bacon's in annapolis.
I have seen some used ones on their shelf.
They may be willing to send it to you, for a nominal charge.
But they have a few different sized ones, so you may need to be armed with the dimention of the opening (the open end of the horseshoe).
If I find a reason to go to Annapolis this weekend, I will take a picture.

Theis
04-12-2004, 07:22 AM
I have one - although not for sale. The question is, where is the location of preference fo hooking the preventer to the deck/cabin top. I like to get the horseshoe out as far as possible when going downwind and have been hooking it to the aft shroud turnbuckle (which is now bent). But not am thinking about installing a U bolt in the deck, just inside the toe rail. Any ideas?

marymandara
04-13-2004, 09:27 PM
I like to use the stanchion bases, myself...if you put about 40 feet of line on that vang tackle, you can practically run it forward to the pulpit, haha! Actually, a forward stanchion base would be terrific.

Dave

Theis
04-14-2004, 05:51 AM
My stachions are not Pearson originals so the location might be different. However, one stanchion is forward of the shrouds - perhaps 2-3 feet, and the next one aft is appropriately placed for the preventer when the Ariel is on a broad reach. As a result, there is nothing for me to tie the preventer on to directly under the boom when on a dead run.

My concern about hooking the preventer forward, so that the pull is forward, is that it puts a significant stress on the boom (horizontally, perpendicular to the boom), for which the boom has little strengt . Assuming the preventer line is at 45 degrees, .7 of the entire downward force would be trying to bend the boom horizontally. I am not certain that is a good idea.