PDA

View Full Version : Charter an Ariel on Penobscot Bay, Maine?

Sea Smoke
01-22-2004, 10:14 AM
I am floating a trial balloon about chartering Sea Smoke from Rockland, ME. I'm interested in any input that other members might have about whether this is an advisable plan of action, I only get back east 4 or times per summer, and she should be sailed more regularly. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks in advance, Thomas Howe.

Theis
01-27-2004, 05:15 AM
I've done it twice. The first time, when I chartered it and checked out the family, we had a storm on the way back from the demo run (one of those doozies that Green Bay is famous for) and they never left port the whole charter week.

The second time I let a marina operator charter it. He went bust, and I found the boat in late October sunk, frozen in the ice.

So, it all depends on who is in charge of the charter. Make sure they are going to be around.

Also remember that your usual insurance does not cover charters. You will likely need a rider, which, as I recall, is not that expensive.

If a third party handles the charters for you, make sure they are insured and you know them or, alternatively, there have a good reputation. Make sure all your gear is marked, and you have a complete listing. and recourse in case something is missing (recourse like get a credit card number and put a hold on the account)

But chartering brings in good money - so there is value.