PDA

View Full Version : Barnegat Bay Sneakbox - or is it?

Dan Maliszewski
02-01-2002, 12:16 PM
Set right down, lads, here it comes.

I have to confess, boys. When I'm not spending quality time with the Ariel of my dreams, I sort of have this steamy little sneakbox on the side. Sorry I'm such a weasel, but guys, when I see that sleek white cedar hull, that smooth curved sheer, and that bright fir mast, my fingers get to twitchin' to harden that sheet and.... well, you guys know the story. I'm only human! How was I to know such beauty could spring from the South Jersey pine woods?
In bad weather I keep her hidden away in her Secret Shack, waiting only for the gentle clank of the hitch and the soft tug of the jeep to draw her from her slumber, and then it's off to the ramp and in a twinkling we are together flying across the bay in an ecstasy of mutual bonding between man and nature! Later, in some secluded cove, time for a smoke, and quiet reverie.

But all that aside, ( I think I need to get out more), I really do need to know if anyone knows where I can find information on reefing systems for sprit sails. The sneakbox design is pre- 1900's, and it's hard to find drawings of how the old timers did it.

Thanks. And don't think I didn't see you cop a feel on the stern of that Chesapeake catboat....

jean #56
02-04-2002, 11:36 AM
there are 2 places that i know of, both in newport beach ca.
1. matrix marine
2. seaspray boat yard

they both specialize in very old boats, and restorations.

good luck

Mike Goodwin
02-12-2002, 08:00 PM
The quickest reef for that rig is to 'scandalize' the sail by just removing the sprit , which makes it a triangle , that is what the old timers like my Grandad did .
If it is 'reef-able' by design there should be a row of reef point you just tie , which pulls the foot up higher and reduces sail area , just like a main with the exception that the foot goes up , not the head comes down . Has to be done this way because of the orientation of sprit and snotterto mast .
It is simple to do , hard to explain !