PDA

View Full Version : Isabel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Goodwin
09-28-2003, 08:04 AM
Well, #45 survived the storm with 16 docklines spiderwebed into her slip. The interior contents were well tossed.
The marina owner weathered the storm watching old #45. He said she would heel right over on her beam ends in the 90mph gusts , then pop right back up water running off her decks and this was in an extremely sheltered "hurricane hole".

Commander #105 was not as lucky. A Vanguard got loose in the slip next door and sat on poor Sparkey , shoving the lifeline stanchions thru the deck, breaking off the toe rail and removing the stbd side of the rig. The Vanguard was holed in the counter, just above the waterline, in return for such rude behaviour to a sister Pearson.

This whole area was hit hard. We just got power back and are still without phone service ( I'm on a borrowed computer hookup)
There are huge areas without power . One of the major tunnels linking the southside was flooded and is still closed. Thousands of trees are down (reason I have no phone) , roofs are off, boats sunk , piers washed away, basements flooded. 3 blocks fom my house, there was 3' of water in living rooms. The water came within 1 block of our street and within 1/2" of flooding Robert LeMasters house ( Sparkey's owner).

As soon as I have my DSL back I'll post photos and be back in the forum .

Mike Goodwin
10-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Got phone service back last night!!
Here is a shot of Isabel approaching N.C. coast, in my opinion the ship is going the wrong way.

Mike Goodwin
10-02-2003, 02:38 PM
One of my neighbor's yard on friday morning after the storm, ugly boat!

Mike Goodwin
10-02-2003, 02:41 PM
Notice the high watermark on Eddie and Charlene's door. It was a mess inside,

SailorLiz
10-07-2003, 06:48 AM
I'm a Great lakes sailor, so I have never had to deal with a hurricaine. But when any storms approach on the Great Lakes here, we always have some wave action. I notice in this picture that the sea looks calm. I was wondering why there wouldn't be building seas with a storm and winds approaching of this magnitude? Or is this the calm before the storm? :confused:

SkipperJer
10-07-2003, 11:51 AM
A large collection of photos depicting boat damage near Annapolis can be found at:
http://members.cox.net/gbennett11/
The page takes a long time to load but will give all some idea what can happen in a storm surge situation.