PDA

View Full Version : Pearson Ariel nameplates

Bill Sanders
09-25-2003, 09:56 AM
Today I received my ariel namplates from Bristo Bronze, chromed by Precision Finishing. The question is what color and what paint to use for the flag background. My old set still had remnants of what looks lik a turquois color. Is there any consensus on this?

ebb
09-29-2003, 05:04 AM
Capt. Bill,
Since Capt Consensus ain't here, seems to me, the dark blue
(a little too dark for me) and the gold star of the class burgee
would be a good place to start choices from.:cool:

[between you, me. and the rudderpost -
I'ld coordinate the choice with my boat's
color scheme.
Lime green be good.
Red would be patriotic.
Turquoise for a South Pacific lagoon.
White for the old man's beard...............

Bill
09-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Peter Theis painted his plates to resemble the original. Search on "logo plates," or such, and you should find his posts.

commanderpete
09-30-2003, 05:41 PM
I seem to recall that the Pearson logo was the nautical "P" flag, blue background with white center.

http://www.boatingmadesimple.com/images/boatflags.GIF

marymandara
09-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Pete, I think you are right...I seem to recall the same.

But..oh, man! Papa. Blue Peter. Not sure how I ffel about having that code flag tied to my boat!

Anyone doesn't know about the Blue Peter, best to private message for the answer...I don't know it is suitable for the forum!<G>

Dave

Bogle
09-30-2003, 06:40 PM
Our Commander emblems were blue. I do not know the code flags well enough to have recognized the "P." I always just thought it was a stylized letter "P". Thanks, commanderpete. It makes sense now.

BTW, has anyone contacted Bristol (since his trouble) about the commander emblems?

ebb
10-02-2003, 07:40 AM
Capt Dave,
T'other sleepless night went a roving and found out the Brits raised the blue pete on the foremast in the days of canvas to alert the crew to get back on board as the ship was preparing to sail. Why 'P'? Didn't say.

Of course the english langwhich being the punsters ball it is, blue peter must have attracted a few ribald connotations over the decades. Including, perhaps meaning an awkward sprain to the mid section or slang for genital herpes.

What other non-gentile meanings does the flag imply?

Blue Peter is the longest running childrens TV show in Britian. Pretty mild!

marymandara
10-02-2003, 08:08 AM
Indeed...

"Blue Peter" at the yard meant to get with it, the ship is making ready. At topmast, it means everybody back, we are leaving ten minutes ago.

You can imagine what most sailors went after on shore leave, right?

And hence, we can imagine what might not have been taken care of before the fellow was recalled suddenly!

Dave

Hull376
10-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Here's the Pearson flag colors off of the Pearson Yachts web page. Everett Pearson's son Mark is building a fairly new 38 foot power boat after TPI (also builds the Aleron Express) bought the name back. They didn't buy the old molds, only the name.

ebb
10-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Looks like they stole the exact color blue off the A/C Burgee.:eek:

Theis
10-11-2003, 06:51 AM
To put my oar in the water, the blue center and white inset I think are original. However, if you want something different, how about robins egg blue with a light pink center.

Incidentally, paint sticks to the chrome very well. I used boot top for the electric blue (Interlux 106 as I recall) and an Interlux white for the surrounding inset. You will need a fine artist's brush, however, and a small rag with turps to wipe off where you slop over because of your shaking hand.