PDA

View Full Version : Hatch and Laz gasket

walberts
09-22-2003, 01:48 AM
I just bought the rubber gaskets for the hatch and the lazarette. As I was about to remove the old gasket from my laz, I noticed that it is held in place by some sort of gasket cement.

Anybody have suggestions as to what to use to clean up the old cement and what new cement to apply? I have a tube of gasket sealer from the auto parts store. Is that OK?

marymandara
09-22-2003, 11:01 AM
3M 'Super Weatherstrip Adhesive' , otherwise known as "gorilla snot". Nasty, gooey, yellow stuff...very permanent. Get it at any autobody supply house and many parts stores...accept no substitutes.
Dave

ebb
09-22-2003, 11:03 PM
Not knowing what the weatherstrip was glued on with, I'd start with what was to hand. Starting with the least lethal:

Naptha (the stuff that removes labels and baked on plexiglass paper.)

Goof Off. If you haven't got it, you can find it in very small containers. It's a little more serious. Then I'd try the

Lacquer thinner. If the stuff hasn't desolved yet, try some

Paint remover. Try to find a brand that doesn't have methyl cloride in it. Probably the easiest way is to head over to PepBoys for some

Gasket Remover. Usually an aerosol composed of a cocktail of solvents like xylene, acetone, toluene & MEK. Loctite, Permatex, etc. Havn't used this stuff myself, just a suggestion. Breathe this material, it'll take a few years off your life too, along with the gunk. A universal solvent for a mere 7 bucks. You try it, OK? Tell us if it works!

Believe I used a newly sharpened scrapper. :D

vanguard64
08-26-2010, 06:30 PM
My lazarette hatch gasket is in need of replacement. Is there a source for these?
Thanks,
Marcelo

Rico
08-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Here is a previous response (See Below). You can read a few more details on (inadequate) replacement options considered on this thread:
http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?1552-Commander-155-Mephisto-Cat
on posts #52 to 56. Below is the basic story.

Weatherstripping
A number of years ago, the association had the Pearson weatherstripping reproduced for the lazerette and forward Ariel hatches. It is now sold out, but if there is interest, we can order it again. The minimum production run equals 50 or 60 sets. With the recent price for poly anything going through the roof (and postage rate increases), however, the price is unlikely to be as cheap as it was before. Here's the write up from the old order form:

"The Association has reproduced the weatherstripping used by Pearson on Ariel yachts. It is being made available in kits containing ten feet of a larger extrusion for the lazarette hatch and six feet of a smaller extrusion for the forward cabin hatch. Each extrusion is cut longer than necessary to allow for possible variation in hatch rim circumference. Shipping is via Priority Mail. (Note: forward hatch on the Commander is 6'-6" in circumference. We will be cutting this length.)

Weatherstripping Kit (2 lengths) $ 48.00

Packaging and Shipping 7.00

Total Per Kit: $ 55.00

The original spec gasket is wonderful stuff. I have it on the mephisto Cat. There are at least a handful of interested buyers out there... I would be interested in a couple of sets myself...

ebb
08-27-2010, 07:51 AM
First: the original gasket shape and material s to be preferred.

I still have A338's fore hatch which is a tight fitting lid on its coaming.
When I got the boat the hatch coaming had no gasket - but this would be a good place for one.
The gasket-seal slips over the edge of the upright coaming and makes a contact seal on the inside of the top of the lid. The rubber gasket can be a compressible hollow bulb, foam, or ribbed.

The lazarette lid on A338 seemed to be sprung. It did not rest snug on the deck.
A gasket on that coaming would have to be adjustable to the variable space between the coaming and the lid. I believe the original gasket could be adjusted.

If there isn't enough interest for a quantity order on Bill's part, it may be possible to find something in the McMasterCarr catalog.
EG on pg 3438 there are some edge grip seals in various styles,
but none like the original Pearson.
If I remember the lazarette coaming edge was about 1/4". There is a 1/4" grip EPDM/vcinyl bulb version that might work there.

ADHESIVE
EPDM is the usual weather resistant rubber used for windscreens and doors in the automotive industry.
Rubber adhesives are contact cements where you coat both surfaces, let them dry, then press the gasket in place. Some cements don't aggressively grab and allow for very careful positioning.
3M has a weatherstrip adhesive specific to EPDM called 08011 BLACK. It is a contact adhesive, not a bonding glue.

Using an adhesive on the coaming edge where the gasket has to be saddled in place would be chancey to say the least. I'd coat the gasket groove and slip it WET on the uncoated coaming.
After the nasty solvents dissipate, seems to me there would be an adequate grab.
imco, not recommending this, haven't done it, but have used the adhesive.:D

HH-66 vinyl/pvc contact cement (not pipe cement) can also be used WET if you are sticking vinyl to the hatch coaming. Versatile and weatherproof.

Commander 147
08-27-2010, 09:07 AM
I also would be interested in at least one set possibly two.

Jon
08-27-2010, 05:40 PM
I could use a set for the lazarette and forward hatch on Sirocco but I also need some of it for the cockpit seats. I presume the weather stripping if the same for all. If I'm wrong about that someone please let me know. thanks,

vanguard64
08-28-2010, 12:32 PM
I am definitely interested in a set for both the lazarette and forward hatch.

Lucky Dawg
08-29-2010, 08:59 PM
I have no gasket on my lazarette. What's the function?

Rico
08-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Jon,
As I understand, there is no need for seals / gaskets on the lids on the cockpit lockers. The drains are nicely designed to keep the water out.
It is hard to get water in there... Even while pointing a hose at them...
It is important to keep these from opening while in heavy seas in case you're pooped/rolled... Not often an issue, hopefully!

Kyle,
The Lazarette gasket is important to keep that compartment dry. (Think inboard motor).
I have the gasket on the Mephisto Cat's laz, but it just provides a nice cushion for the lid...
Since I have an outboard in the lazarette, there is often quite a bit of water there...

C38
10-12-2010, 09:59 AM
I would definitely be interested in two sets of these.
Otherwise I will be fashioning something myself...

jshisha
11-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Does anyone have an updated source to obtain gaskets fro the foward hatch and Lazzaret? If not can you please post a picutre ofthe gasket and I will try to find the most similar one in McMaster Carr.

Thanks

Jake Commander 141

Rico
11-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Check out post #5 (above)

- and post #53 on the Mephisto Cat thread:
http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?1552-Commander-155-Mephisto-Cat
For the actual material dimentions and comments on McMaster carr alternatives at the time.

jshisha
11-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks Rico.

I think I wll be stuck with th McMaster Carr weather stripping unless I can find something better

Jon
05-22-2011, 03:51 PM
As Sirocco gets closer to her launch date, I've noticed that I need to replace the weather stripping on her forward hatch. Is it possible that we might be able to get some interest in an order for the hatch gaskets/weather stripping kits. I only need one, but I'll buy two, if it helps meet the number of orders required to get an order placed. I'm ready if ya'll are.

Lucky Dawg
05-22-2011, 06:02 PM
I'd be in for a set.

Commander 147
05-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Me too, I'd buy for hatch and Laz and probably a double set for spares.

goodsteel53
06-06-2011, 07:51 PM
How does it look for another request for a gasket set? I'm assuming the gaskets work for both Ariels and Commanders? I have recently purchased #229, and am having a ball sailing her! Thanks guys/gals!

Jon
06-07-2011, 05:52 AM
Maybe if Bill sees this discussion he will chime in and see what we, as a group, might be able to do.

Bill
06-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Offshore on one of those MV things heading for Alaska. Couldn't get the spouse to make the trip in our Ariel :o Upon return will research getting another order of weatherstripping. With the increase in oil prices since the last order, I anticipate a substantial cost increase. Hopefully, it's not too large.

Commander 147
06-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Good news Bill

Hope we can put an order together. I'm certainly in.

Enjoy your cruise.

Jon
06-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Me too. jon

Rico
06-07-2011, 06:34 PM
As noted previously; I'm in for a couple sets...
One for C-187 and a spare.

C38
06-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Awesome!
I'll be in for a couple sets as well!

Commander 147
07-27-2011, 06:40 AM
Offshore on one of those MV things heading for Alaska. Couldn't get the spouse to make the trip in our Ariel :o Upon return will research getting another order of weatherstripping. With the increase in oil prices since the last order, I anticipate a substantial cost increase. Hopefully, it's not too large.

Bill have you had a chance to make any progress on this?

Bill
07-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Ops. Came down with the cruise ship virus after debarking and the matter has slipped my mind . . .:(

jshisha
07-28-2011, 02:58 PM
I would also like to get a set. I just installed some weather stripping from Master Carr which is adequate but I cannot see it lasting too long.

Bill
07-28-2011, 04:33 PM
The good news is that the manufacturer still has the extrusions for our two weatherstrippings. The bad news is that the price has increased 17.5% and the minimum order has increased from 25 feet to 100 feet. Our original order was 186 and 300 feet of product that gave us approximately 50 sets of weatherstripping. It took five years to work off that inventory!

A quick check indicates that we can sell the kits for only about $4 or $5 more than previously. Our original price was $47 per kit, so the new price will be $51 or $52 plus shipping. (Maybe a little more for the Commander as its forward hatch is larger, but I need to do more research.)

Meanwhile, we need to hear again from those interested before expending something in the neighborhood of $1600.

Commander 147
07-28-2011, 05:21 PM
around the forward hatch and the lazarette with my wife's cloth tape and I came up with 76" (so round it up to 80" for fudge factor) around the forward hatch and I came up with 117" (so round that up to 120") around the lazarette and it looks like it takes about 200" or 16'8" so round the total up to 17'.

I'm in for twice that amount or 34' if we can put an order together.

From your post it looks like there are different extrusions for the forward hatch from the lazarette. On Destiny the material looked the same. Are they supposed to be different?

goodsteel53
07-29-2011, 06:36 AM
Craig here... I'm good for a set! Commander #229

SkipperJer
07-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Include Commander #270 for a full set also.
Jerry in Baltimore

Bill
07-29-2011, 09:13 AM
From your post it looks like there are different extrusions for the forward hatch from the lazarette. On Destiny the material looked the same. Are they supposed to be different?

Pretty sure that's the case. The original order was based on the Ariel which has two different extrusions. When we later added the Commander, the only difference was the length of the smaller forward hatch extrusion.

Rico
07-29-2011, 09:34 AM
I am in for two sets. Need a new set for C-187 and a spare for the Mephisto Cat for use in a decade or two...

Regarding the different extrusion issue; I have the new extrusion on BOTH the Lazarette & the fwd hatch and it works wonderfully for both applications. It has held up very nicely. -I've actually never seen the other version.

Chance
08-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Bill,
I'm definately interested in making a purchase for enough to redo Ceili's forward hatch and lazarette hatch.

Jerry,
I had to go confirm for myself (the measurements you provided from Destiny) and obtained the following from Ceili:

Forward hatch: 75-1/2" (6' 3-1/2")
Lazarette hatch: 116-1/4" (9' 8-1/4")
Total linear inches for both: 191-3/4" (15.979 feet)

The above dimensions have no additional length added for allowance of fudge or adjustment.

I too, would like a couple of extra inches to work with. I would think that the material (gasket extrusion) is bought and sold by the linear foot. With that being said, I would like to have 17 feet. (Jerry, same as your input)

Like Jerry, I was also under the impression the size (profile of the gasket extrusion) was the same for both hatches. Unfortunately I no longer have the forward hatch gasket that I removed from Ceili for reference. I do however, have the remnants of the lazarette gasket I removed and have attached photos of.

The lazarett gasket I have in hand (the old that was removed from Ceili) does fit on the forward hatch fiberglass lip just fine.

I would be interested to know the specific differences in the two profiles as indicated by Bill (referring to the original order that was based on the Ariel)
Bill: Do you have the profile dimensions of each extrusion that you make reference to?

Rico: You mentioned that you used the same (new) extrusion profile on Mephisto Cat. Do you have a piece in which you can obtain measurements (height and width), etc.?

Rico
08-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Yes, I still have a few bits of the original. (When I say new / original - I believe it is the material supplied to me my the PA Association - via the PO). -The old 'original' material on the boat was the stuff I took off during the restoration, which I believe may have been the factory material. these were virtually identical...

Fom the discussion we had on this issue: (on the Mephisto Cat thread Post #52 0nwards):
http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?1552-Commander-155-Mephisto-Cat (See Below).

This looks to be a bit larger than what you've pictured... Perhaps you have the misterious fwd hatch version (??) I will post pictures similar to yours as soon as I find the extra bits...

The profile is as pictured and the specs follow the original material. They are as follows (Catalog picture for measurement reference only:

http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/114/gfx/large/1120a36c1l.gif
This original material mirrors these same dimensions as the original Pearson Material very, very closely, but the original stuff is all solid rubber, The material from McMaster-carr has some sort of soft foam at the top - not hard rubber, while the bottom part is a hard plastic with an aluminum core... I am afraid that this replacement material pictured would not last very long for this application.

The Dimensions are as follows:

Edge ........A.........B ............C
3/16" ..... 5/8" ...17/32".... 1 5/32"

ebb
08-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Go with what Rico says.
But, I've been over those catalog pages dozens of times.
That edge-grip rubber seal is the only one McMC has readily available that remotely can be a alternative.
Quote:
"EPDM Seals with Vinyl Grip - These seals have good weather resistance.
Gripping portion is made of PVC with individual aluminum clips (unless noted) inside to ensure a permanent, secure grip.
Bulbs are EPDM closed-cell foam rubber. Temperature range is -20 to +150. Color is black."

EPDM foam can be quite stiff. The problem comes with rubber taking a set, no longer springing back to original shape after being under pressure.
Got some 1/8" EPDM foam sheet in the shop that is quite tough and heavy and springy.
Wouldn't know it was foam unless you knew it was foam.
In fact the bulb with hold its shape longer in foam than if it was hollow 'sheet', imco.

Don't know about the metal 'clips', but it seems that it won't matter too much. Maybe they are removable. Maybe they help to keep the seal on when something is lifted out of the well. Maybe don't have to glue the grip on!

Ask for a sample, or pay for a foot. Nothing works better than seeing and feeling the stuff.
It's going to be around $50 plus UPS for 20'!

Rico
08-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Ebb,
BTW - I did order a bit of the McMaster Carr alternative I showabove. The stuff is not worth even attempting for our application. It will be ruined right away - it is waaaay too light & flimsy.

ebb
08-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Dang.
Life ain't easy, but it sure is a lot of fun.

Our mason here on the estate says that when disappointed.

You know I'm redoing with epoxy the inside of the cockpit seat lockers so that the gutter framing system is all continuous and the same level. Which it sure as hell wasn't.

Will find, hopefully, some peel and stick foam that will apply to the lid - rather than the edge around the locker which will always have stuff dragged in and out.
Let the lid do the sealing.

SO, why not just finish off the thin sharp fiberglass deck openings of the laz and forehatch with a nice round rubber thingy.
And have that meet a foam kissing cousin stuck on the inside of the lid. OUT OF THE WAY!

WAH LAH

Huh?;)

Bill
08-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Your association went through all the various weatherstripping alternatives years back. There may be a thread someplace, but it could have been lost when we changed over from the Microsoft created discussion board. We obtained samples of the available weatherstripping and found that none would do the job. That's why we ended up with a custom extruder.

As noted earlier, the minimum order requirements mean a substantial investment. And , as noted, it took over five years to work off the inventory the last time. We are a bit hesitant to do this again, as the expressed demand has not been very great. I think our minimum purchase equals about 50 or so sets of weatherstripping. (I'm not near the records at this moment, so I'm not positive about that.) That could mean sitting on a substantial investment in rubber for an unknown length of time.

No decision has been reached. :confused:

Commander 147
08-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Bill

I must be missing something. In your post # 35 I understood that the minimum order was only 100' of material. If I'm willing to buy 34' by myself and several others are willing to buy 17' lengths we should be able to reach that pretty easily. Obviously I'm missing something. Can you help me figure out what it is?

Chance
08-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I too, am confused. Help.

Bill, if the original order was 186 and 300 feet, with the 300 presumably being for the lazarette hatch extrusion, how did you come to the 50 set value? 300 feet would really only support 30 hatches (each lazarette hatch requiring 9.6875 linear feet, excluding any additional inches for allowance of peace of mind).

Bill
08-06-2011, 04:49 PM
There you go again . . . I'm 300 miles from my desk and winging it! Maybe it was 30 sets, but 50 popped into my mind. I'll return next week and try to make some more mistakes:cool:

C38
08-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Mike Here... I'm good for 2 sets! Commander #38

ariel235
12-15-2011, 08:31 PM
My Name is Arjen de Boer and own Ariel 235. I would love to have a set or two of hatch and Lazarette Gaskets.

Bill
12-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Promise to get onto this in January. To begin, I'll be needing a commitment from everyone on purchases -- again. My apologies, but some skippers may have lost interest or sold their boats, so we need to update the list. More later . . .

Commander 147
12-16-2011, 04:00 AM
Bill

You know I'm in for two sets of gaskets. Good to hear you will get it going soon.

SkipperJer
12-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Commander 270 needs a full set also. Does this include something to block water at the front of the companionway hatch cover?

Bill
12-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Does this include something to block water at the front of the companionway hatch cover? Unfortunately not. Maybe someone has a solution?

ebb
12-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Jer, if you want to block off with rubber gasket your sliding hatch's underneath cross bar, if it is Pearson original, it is strangely cut away at the ends.
You can buy some EPDM rubber strip, comes 2"-4'"-6" wide with a very aggressive peel and stick on one side.
Assuming the underneath cross bar on the hatch IS the Pearson cut away style that zero's out at the companionway sides, it's not easy to weatherstrip.
Imco the cross bar could have a blunt ended rubber strip applied on top... if the rubber had stiff support backing.

McMasterCarr has the strip. Thickness range 1/32" to 1/2". Cost range $8 to $16, 36" long.
It's bendy and pliable, but the thicker it is the less floppy. EPDM is the rubber that holds the glass on your truck.
Make a paper pattern of the shape you want to block off, see what width you need when you lay the pattern out flat.
If you are trying to keep the water out in the corners under the hatch and you are going to use the original Pearson cross piece - that has the stainless U-bolt in the center that goes thru the dropboard -
you can cut your gasket with square ends.
For example, it can be a 2" wide piece that is parallel to the curve of the hatch from side to side.
But you'll have unsupported ends that would flop around. So it needs some stiff backing. Doorskin might do the trick.

Cut the ply backing undersize at the sides so that the rubber overlaps it to make a soft seal against the companionway sides.
Use 1/8" thick doorskin ply and rubber that is also thin enough (1/8"?) so that the U-bolt still engages the drop board slot without having to change it out for a longer one. The ply and rubber probably around 1/4" thick. Seal the ply with epoxy first, then stick the rubber on.

Better would be to have the ply backing with the rubber stuck on behind it, against the crossbar, so most of the rubber is unseen.
It would then be called 'ply fronting'.
If it's philippine mahogany, it'll varnish up nicely and the jerried weatherstripping goes unnoticed.
How to attach it to the old painted crossbar? Brass nails? Small flathead screws? Monel staples?

This 'cheat' will do the job, but it is better imco to take that original Pearson crossbar off and replace it with a more practical blunt-ended piece of wood better able to keep weather out at the sides where you need it.

McMaster-Carr.com online catalog page 3510. EPDM is outdoor rubber.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
I've radically EDITed the original post.
For high winds when away from the boat perhaps a sunbrella cover lashed over the top and down infront would better keep the rain at bay.

SkipperJer
12-17-2011, 05:08 AM
Thanks! I was moored when Irene came through and the 20 hours of spray kicked up by the steady 50 MPH winds put quite a bit of water into the cabin. Not a regular event but still unwelcome.

Full and By
02-02-2012, 03:59 AM
Hello, Bill

I have my boat in the shop this winter for major refit work. I will buy a set of gaskets ( fwd and Laz) for her as soon as they are available...hopefully before may launch. When might they be available, and to whom may I send my check? ...

I also have bow, stern pulpits, stanchions, lifelines...available for sale

and the original Tufnol winches (4 pcs)

Thank you

Bill

ariel235
02-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Still interested also

Arjen de Boer

Commander 147
02-05-2012, 05:40 AM
Bill

You indicated you would get into this in January. Any progress on placing the order?

Rico
02-05-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm still in for 2 sets...

jshisha
02-07-2012, 01:53 PM
I will also buy a set.

Full and By
04-06-2012, 04:42 AM
Any action on the gasket sets? I'll be launching memorial day weekend and would love to have installed the new gaskets by then. If not, I'll use the old ones. How much does it cost to gin up a production run? How many sets are "spoken" for here? any interested parties can contact me at wmcgraw@gmail.com

vanguard64
04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Sign me up for a set also.
Marcelo
Adastra A-407

jshisha
04-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Count me in for a set also.
Thansk

Bill
04-09-2012, 08:02 PM
The association's finances are now known and we are in the process of ordering enough of each extrusion to produce 20 sets (fwd hatch & lazarette). The lengths are 10 feet for the large extrusion (lazarette) and 7 feet for the fwd hatch. That's adding six inches to my measurements for the needed material. Actually, the Ariel's fwd hatch is smaller than the one on the Commander, so Ariels will be getting about an extra six inches (i.e., a foot) of material. :)

Our early cost estimate is somewhere between $44 and $48 per set, depending on the shipping and other costs from the manufacturer. Once the material is in house, we'll figure out the packaging and shipping costs. We will offer two shipping options, one slow and cheap, and one, "if it fits, it ships" USPS fast and expensive option.

Stay tuned. It will be about three weeks before we get the product from the mfg.

Bill

c_amos
04-09-2012, 10:13 PM
I do not need one, but thank you for taking the time to do this again Bill.

Thanks for ALL you do for the association.

Full and By
04-10-2012, 04:22 AM
Great news, Bill. thank you

Commander 147
04-10-2012, 04:26 AM
Bill

That is excellent news. As I have said before I am in for two complete sets. When something is as difficult to replace as this gasket a spare set is a must. A check will come your way as soon as I know how much to make it out for and where to send it.

Thank you very much Bill for getting this going.

Lucky Dawg
04-10-2012, 05:07 AM
Do you need members to ping in again to get a full count?

Please count me in for one set. Thanks Bill.

Jeff C-151
04-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Bill - thanks for your help!

Nemesis is in for one set.

dralex
04-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Please count me in for one complete set
Alex McLellan
Ariel 24

SkipperJer
04-22-2012, 06:34 PM
I'd also like a set. I'll keep watching.

Bill
04-22-2012, 06:44 PM
We are making progress. Half the order showed up Saturday. I'll call them tomorrow to see if they can give me a time or tracking number.
Once it's all here, we can cut, package and weigh to determine shipping costs.

Full and By
04-23-2012, 02:09 AM
Great timing, Bill. I'm ready to send my check. When you're pricing it up, be sure to include sufficient margin to make it worthwhile. I really appreciate your work here.

Jon
04-23-2012, 07:03 AM
Bill, please put me down for a set for Sirocco A-205 and let me know what I need to do to get you paid. thanks, Jon

Bill
04-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Spoke with the supplier this morning and it appears we have slight glitch. The order we received was complete, but the large extrusion they produced was incorrect. They are now looking for the correct one. Looks like another week before we get a replacement. :mad:

Commander 147
04-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Bill

I know you mentioned before that the Ariel has two differant sized extrusions and we had a conversation about the commander having the same size on both openings. So I'm just curious, does the commander have the large extrusion or the small? Inquiring minds and all that :-)

Full and By
04-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Jerry...this is a diagram (as good as I could measure) of the one I took off my Commander, C-295, fwiw:

Commander 147
04-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Bill (Full and By Bill)

If you go back to post 35 of this thread Chance posted some pictures of the commander extrusion with a metal rule showing the dimensions also. Since I have never seen the Ariel extrusions I don't know if we have what Bill (moderator Bill) is referring to as the large or the small extrusion. I was just curious.

Full and By
04-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks, Jerry, I'll take a look. Say, I just posted some pics of my painting project if you're interested...

Bill
04-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Bill

I know you mentioned before that the Ariel has two differant sized extrusions and we had a conversation about the commander having the same size on both openings. So I'm just curious, does the commander have the large extrusion or the small? Inquiring minds and all that :-)

We have supplied the same two extrusions for both boats. The only difference is the length of the "smaller" one used for the forward hatch. (Commander's is longer, so Ariel owners will end up with more selvage.)

Commander 147
04-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Prior to today I had avoided removing the rubber from the forward hatch because I wanted to be sure I could replace it with the correct stuff before I took it off. But after your reply Bill I went out and pulled the gasket off the forward hatch and did a good comparison to the material I had previously removed for the lazarette to see if they were in fact the same or not. Here is a picture of both pieces and they do appear to be the same.

I have to wonder if Pearson made a change somewhere along the way??????????

Bill
04-26-2012, 06:22 PM
I have to wonder if Pearson made a change somewhere along the way??????????

I think your boat was one they were finishing on a Friday. :) To me, it appears that they used the fwd hatch weatherstripping for the lazarette hatch as well.

Bill
04-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Speaking of the lazarette hatch weatherstripping, the mfg shipped a test roll of it that arrived today. It is not the same extrusion as we used before. I've mailed them a sample that I cut from the weatherstripping on my boat to see if they can find the proper extrusion (that we paid for).

Meanwhile, I'm taking a length of their test extrusion to the boat to see if it will fit. However, the distance between the "legs" appears to be too wide for a snug fit, and the "bead" at the top is thin walled like the fwd hatch weatherstripping bead -- and needs to support a lot more weight.

Commander 147
04-27-2012, 04:39 AM
I think your boat was one they were finishing on a Friday. :) To me, it appears that they used the fwd hatch weatherstripping for the lazarette hatch as well.

You might be right Bill, the Friday before a long weekend probably. ;)

It seems like Pearson made a lot of changes along the way like foam filled and glassed over keel versus later boats that had clean empty keels. Or bridge deck versus no bridge deck. It's almost like they started each week on Monday morning with a meeting to decide what changes they were going to make that week. I'm just glad they made enough of them that I get to enjoy one.:)

Bill
05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
The mfg has the shape of the correct extrusion and is beginning the process. Hopefully, we get delivery early next week . . .

Bill
05-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Finally, the second extrusion has arrived :) The postage pricing trip to the post office was certainly enlightening. Seems the, "If it fits, it ships" Priority Mail box is less expensive than the "cheaper" alternatives! If the weatherstripping was lighter, or would just fit in a flat envelope . . .

We're boxing "kits" of weatherstripping in anticipation of the expected orders. Each box will contain a ten foot length of the extrusion for the lazarette, and a seven foot length of the the extrusion for the forward hatch. This is enough to fit the A-C yachts, and maybe even Triton's or Vanguards, given that the 7 & 10 foot lengths of weatherstripping are about six inches longer than necessary. FYI - We do have selvedge pieces that can be used for patching if the Triton's or Vanguards need longer lengths of weatherstripping.

An order form with pricing and mailing information should appear shortly on the home page. You will find it under a new plank titled "Weatherstripping -- get it now," or something like that.

Bill
05-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Weatherstripping order form is now available. You may need to "refresh" the ACYA home page to see the change . . .

Commander 147
05-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Weatherstripping order form is now available. You may need to "refresh" the ACYA home page to see the change . . .

My forms are filled out and printed for two sets of weather stripping and one rudder post bearing and the check is written and all of it is in an envelope for tomorrow's mail.

Thanks Bill this really is the only reasonably priced place to find these most important parts. All of your efforts are very much appreciated.

Commander 147
05-23-2012, 10:54 AM
I got the new weatherstripping today and the new rudder shaft bearing also. The material for the laz is not the same as what Pearson originally installed on Destiny but then we have already had that conversation and this stuff will work just fine. Actually I think this will provide more support and crush less than what was there.

Thanks again Bill for making this happen for us all.

vanguard64
05-31-2012, 06:31 PM
I received the gasket set last week and feel very appreciative for the effort made to make these available. I would like to know what the present consensus is as to the best adhesive to use to attach them.
Thanks again,
Marcelo
A-407

Bill
05-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Adhesive for the weatherstripping? Here is what one of our members recommended several years ago:

"3M’s Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, otherwise known as "gorilla snot." Nasty, gooey, yellow stuff . . . very permanent. Get it at any auto body supply house and many parts stores...accept no substitutes. Dave "

Commander 147
09-22-2014, 04:51 PM
OK, so has anyone used gorilla snot to put new rubber gasket in place? Your supposed to apply it to both surfaces and hold them apart until tacky. I'm here to tell you with this gasket that is not easy to do. I just did the laz gasket and it was a real pain. And I'm not sure the job I did is going to be up to my normal standards. I'll check the job in the morning to see if it will do or not.

I'm open to suggestions for technique to accomplish this job!

ebb
09-23-2014, 08:03 AM
Sounds like a type of contact cement. Haven't met this Gorilla.

But why not slather both surfaces and partially aired while you apply the stuff
- but still wet - slide it together.

If the recommended cleanup is with mineral spirits,
maybe press any excess out with fingers or laminate roller and clean up quick with dampened rag.
The exposed interface will set and grab the gasket.
It'll maybe stay wet inside for who knows how long, but not long, and eventually will set.

With contact cements imco the wait time is to let the solvents out
so that there is no problem with pockets of gas when assembling.
The rubber gasket is way more forgiving than plastic laminate sheet and shouldn't create a problem.
The bit of 'breathing' you get with the time it takes to assemble it together imco will get the glue to set.

Just guessing.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................................
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun. Katharine Hepburn

Commander 147
09-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Hi ebb

So that is pretty much what I did. And after checking it this morning it does appear to be firmly attached so all may be well.

Gorilla Snot is the AKA name I got from Bill's post below in this thread. It is the 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. I found it at my local auto parts store.

I ended up masking off below the gasket prior to application and was very happy I did. The squeeze out and smears were contained with the masking tape so the job looks good.

Commander 147
09-23-2014, 07:14 PM
When Bill was ordering the hatch gasket material for the association we had a discussion about the fact that both my laz and forward hatches had the same size gasket on them even though that is not what was standard.

Turns out the factory probably did that because when I put the standard size on the laz hatch fits really, really snug. It does not just drop into place you have to push it down to make it seat.

Just letting anyone who is planning on replacing their gasket know that they should check which size fits best for their boat.