PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Isabel

commanderpete
09-15-2003, 11:40 AM
This could be a nasty one.

Latest models predict landfall somewhere around North Carolina, but you never can tell.

Here's an article on preparing your boat for a storm.

http://www.cruisingworld.com/cw_article.php?articleID=1184

mrgnstrn
09-16-2003, 08:46 AM
has anybody heard a good estimate on the storm surge?
maybe my chessie bretheren have some info...
mine is at Herrington Harbor (herring bay), pretty much the last bay on the western shore before you get to solomons.
the news likes to skintilate us with "20 foot storm surge" but of course by that they mean at landfall in N.C. surely it can't be that bad 100 miles north of the mouth of the ChesBay.

commanderpete
09-17-2003, 09:39 AM
Check this site. They're talking about a 4-6 feet storm surge in some areas.

http://weather.sunspot.net/MAR/AN/531.html

http://a799.g.akamai.net/3/799/388/e77ddeb50a06fd/www.msnbc.com/news/2014673.jpg

Mike Goodwin
09-17-2003, 03:01 PM
You wont get much up the Bay there,( unless the storm turns east) The NE wind blows your water down to us at the lower bay. #45 is laced in her slip with 16 docklines .
In fact you may get an extreme low tide and no highs.

mrgnstrn
09-19-2003, 01:42 PM
well, we ended up with S-SE winds, which blew all the water up into the bay.
the surge at Herrington Harbour North in Deal MD was 8 feet.
This is my dock.
my Ariel is in the center of the photo, directly behind the blue boat that is in the center.
ALL boats are being hauled from 4 docks at HHN.

mrgnstrn
09-19-2003, 01:53 PM
here is the port side.
some closeups of interesting things to follow.

mrgnstrn
09-19-2003, 02:12 PM
second try: port side

mrgnstrn
09-19-2003, 02:16 PM
rubrail and toe rail damage from the blue boat to leeward of me.
note also the chain coming from the deck. that is my anchor, which worked its way loose and hooked under what is left of the dock. i am pretty sure it is permanantly attached to whatever it is hooked on.
i am pretty sure that anchor is one of the reasons my boat isn't on the on the shore on her side.

mrgnstrn
09-19-2003, 02:19 PM
the spreader socket broke. Amazing that my mast isn't also in the water.
the spreader is the thing kind of hanging near the bottom of the picture. the stbd spreader made it though.

mrgnstrn
09-19-2003, 02:22 PM
the starboard side. note the blue boat to the left, and the large whiteish spot. that's from banging against my boat. i think i left him more damage than he left me.

mrgnstrn
09-19-2003, 02:27 PM
two things to note.
one is the great brown spot from the tar of the piling.
two is the winch. note that the base broke off. half is attached to the deck and coaming. the other half only attached to the winch. there is nothing keeping the winch from falling overboard. i am amazed that it didn't get catapulted overboard when the base broke. but i picked it up and just tossed in in the cockpit.

mrgnstrn
09-19-2003, 02:29 PM
but, no matter how much work i will have to do to make her look good again, i am not this guy.

mrgnstrn
09-19-2003, 02:31 PM
better pictures of the damage when i get hauled and am sitting high and dry.

Hull376
09-19-2003, 10:00 PM
It pains me to see your boat punished like that. Guess you are lucky that you didn't get impaled on one of those pilings as the water level went back down. Let us know if thats what happened to the one that sank.

Greg
09-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Looking at your pictures makes me wonder if a lesser vessel would have fared as well. Although I will (probably) never have to weather such a storm, it makes me glad to have the boat I have.

S.Airing
09-21-2003, 08:37 AM
Annapolis had a storm surge of 6 feet,I went down on Tuesday and got Sirocco ready.I took off the sails and awning and slacked up my dock lines.I use over sized dock lines 5/8 all the time unlike some boats around me that use line the size of shoe strings.I checked on things this morning 9/21/03 and you would have never known anything had happened.I couldnt find any damage on any boat or piers.

S.Airing
09-21-2003, 08:43 AM
I wasnt there but Im told that the water was to the top of the pilings.Sirocco didnt get as much as a scratch,even the Hunters were unharmed.The boards behind my truck show how high the water got.This was the third hurricane that I have had to deal with since Ive owned Sirocco.

mrgnstrn
09-26-2003, 07:52 PM
bad news from MD. the rudder is split.

mrgnstrn
09-26-2003, 07:54 PM
closeup of the broken piece. one of the bolts broke!

mrgnstrn
09-26-2003, 07:55 PM
the broken spreader base.
i still haven't figured out how this broke.

mrgnstrn
09-26-2003, 08:00 PM
this is bizarre. the two huge bolts are bent, but none of the screws that hold the wood are stripped or anything.

commanderpete
09-27-2003, 05:40 AM
~sigh~

Hate to see the old girl bruised up.

Here's some more photos of your marina.

http://members.cox.net/gbennett11/

I believe you can just see your boat in the first photo just below. The mast of that pesky blue boat probably got tangled with yours and broke the spreader.

http://members.cox.net/gbennett11/img17.gif

mrgnstrn
09-27-2003, 06:42 AM
in fact that is a great picture of my archh-nemisis, the blue boat.
and the more i think of it, yes, it is very possiible that hes rig somehow clipped mine and just ripped the base apart. but what is weird is that there is no bending or damage to the actual spreader tube.

but really that is nothing. the thing that is going to be a problem is the rudder.

i am mulling over how to make a fiberglass replacement.

but we will see.

Bill
09-27-2003, 12:39 PM
Please start the rudder replacement discussion with a new thread in the tech forum. It should be an interesting discussion. Also, if you search on "spreader base," you should find a source for a replacement.

BTW - If you have the manual, Alberg's lines drawing of the hull shows a second rudder shape that appears to be more effecient (though not as pretty) than the original.

S.Airing
10-02-2003, 09:36 AM
A Trition owner ,Dave Hoyt took this picture Friday morning at 9 am after the hurricane went thru.The tide seems to be closer to 8 feet than 6.Luckily we had winds of only 50 knotts or so,unlike further south.

dasein668
10-03-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by mrgnstrn

and the more i think of it, yes, it is very possiible that hes rig somehow clipped mine and just ripped the base apart. but what is weird is that there is no bending or damage to the actual spreader tube.

The broken socket looked just like the socket on my Triton after a nasty raft-up incident. I didn't have any damage to the spreader tube either. I thnk that the old cast aluminum fittings are just so brittle that it really doesn't take much of a blow to crack them. These fittings seem to be a weak link in the rigging of these older Pearson boats. I've seen a lot of reports of broken ones. Might be a good think to replace on most of our boats....

commanderpete
10-18-2003, 08:24 AM
I thought losing a spreader would surely cause the mast to come tumbling down. Double lower shrouds are a good thing.

Even more surprising is the grisly photo of Commander 105 Mike posted. That other boat must have pounded her for hours, actually laying down on top of her. The lower shroud chainplate looks to be pulled nearly clean out of the deck. The other turnbuckle is badly bent. The shock loads on the rig must have been incredible.

mrgnstrn
12-09-2003, 07:49 PM
The marina decided to rub salt in the wound.
Most of the boats at my marina that got damaged are in the 20-30 foot range. Most of the docks that held those boats were of the same size.
Since all those boats had to be removed for repair of the docks, the marina decided to take that oppurtunity to replace the 20-30 foot slips with 40-50 foot slips.
So not only are all of our boats on the hard (and were charged from the moment we hit the travel-lift) instead of the slip that we already paid the marina for (and they can't provide), but they are making sure we can't have the slip back.

Bastards. I smell class-action lawsuit. Surely there is a lawyer amonst my group of displaced and mistreated boat owners.