PDA

View Full Version : Ambassador of Sailing

commanderpete
09-09-2003, 07:22 AM
Here are a few thoughts on taking non-sailing visitors out for the day.

I'll tell them to bring the following:

1) Non-marking sneakers if they have them;

2) Some extra clothes, no matter how hot it is;

3) Sunblock;

4) Their choice of beverage.

However

1) If they show up with bad footwear I've just got to live with it;

2) I've got plenty of extra clothes and jackets aboard;

3) I've also got lots of sunblock, because people forget and leave it aboard;

4) I'll have bottled water, beer and ice aboard, but I don't want to anticipate what somebody else likes to drink.

Once I welcome them aboard and stow their gear, I'll tell them the following:

1) When we're sailing the boat tilts over but it can't possibly flip over;

2) Stay seated as much as possible. You can fall over when moving around the boat or trip on something. Always keep hold of something or somebody.

3) Watch your feet, or somebody may step on your toes when they're moving around the boat;

4) If you're sitting near the winches, you may need to move to one side or the other when I adjust the lines;

5) Use plenty of sunscreen, and don't neglect the back of the neck and the tops of your thighs and feet.

6) I'll show them how to use the marine head, and tell them not to put anything but toilet paper down there.

DESTINATIONS

Powerboaters seem to need a destination to travel to. When sailors get out on the water, they're already there. Nevertheless newbies, particularly the ladies, are much happier when they have a destination. Going somewhere adds excitement and accomplishment. Its something to tell their friends about. It took me a long time to figure this out.

Around me, there are plenty of places to dock up--waterfront restaurants, snack bars, the beach, quaint villages, etc. Sometimes its enough to anchor out, go for a swim, perhaps a little fishing, maybe dig for clams, that sort of thing. I'll decide where to go depending on the wind. I don't travel anywhere too adventurous, and don't go too far. Although you've sailed for two hours to get somewhere, they're always surprised that it will take two hours to get back home.

SAILING

You can fit a crowd of people on a Commander, but there is a practical limit. 6 people on board is fine. 7 is doable. 8 or more gets to be a zoo. If possible, I like to have another experienced sailor aboard if I have a crowd. This way another person is also keeping an eye on things and I can relax a little more. The other sailor can also answer some of the endless stream of questions they have.

I have the newbies steer most of the time. The boat may zig-zag around, the sails luff periodically, boats might pass you by. This is really quite painful for me. I smile and tell every new sailor they're "a natural."

All of us have been on boats where the skipper turns into Captain Bligh. They bark orders, lay down rules, hog the wheel. It sucks. The safety of the crew is paramount, but you can be in control without being an asshole. Instead, you're turning people on to something you love. You're an Ambassador of Sailing.

AMBASSADOR OF SAILING

Having guests on board can be a pain. They always show up late. They cancel at a hint of rain in the forecast. They spill and drop stuff everywhere. They grind greasy potato chips into the deck. They're clueless. They have no idea of the time and expense involved in boat ownership. Basically, they're tourists. You have to play host. I wouldn't blame you if you didn't even bother.

There are a few rewards. They will always remember the experience. I like the look on their faces when you hoist the sails and kill the engine. The sails start pulling, the boat begins to knife through the water. They start grinning. They get a feel for what its all about.

I've gotten a few people hooked on sailing. Plenty of guests will offer to help out fixing the boat in the Spring. Once or twice somebody even showed up.