PDA

View Full Version : A-122 Starry Skies

Bill
07-29-2003, 08:21 PM
Got a few photos of this Ariel a while back. The interesting thing is that the name may be relevant. Here are some stats (remember, 3/16" is standard):

Cable thickness:

Shrouds:
Lowers - 5/16"
Uppers - 3/8"

Stays: - 3/8"

Chainplates:

Aft - - 7/16" ss
Shrouds - 5/15" ss

Let's start with the shrouds:

Bill
07-29-2003, 08:21 PM
And:

Bill
07-29-2003, 08:22 PM
And

Bill
07-29-2003, 08:23 PM
Then there's the forward hatch:

Bill
07-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Anchor:

Bill
07-29-2003, 08:25 PM
Some heavy control lines:

Bill
07-29-2003, 08:31 PM
An interesting take on the opening ports:

Bill
07-29-2003, 08:32 PM
As she rests:

ebb
07-30-2003, 07:22 AM
pretty amazing, must have had stuff left over from a Bubba 42. And I have a blown-up picture of Ariel out of the Manual on the wall here that shows the sail areas and rigging. Halfway up the backstay is writ: 3/16" wire typical. That's East Coast, of course.

122 looks pretty perky tho. Are those really hinges on the front and back of the fore hatch? Interesting concept.

What is that opening port made from, do you think, galvanized iron? I got some bronze ones from Sparten that look like that, like they came off the Lusitania, have a spigot about 4" deep that I've thought about cutting off to mount in our 1/4" thick coach side there. 122 must have huge furring block inside to have that aqpparent depth shown in the photo. Can't see that there is any clamping action that one would get by use of a finishing ring. Really wish we had a replacement for our tired Marinium ports!

Looks ok, on 122, right?

Looks like his backstay hangs on to the original 1/16" 'plate'. Then 122 has that mending plate there bolted on to keep the boat from splitting. Some of us are splitting the backstay, moving the plates out to the corners. That will help in keeping the stern from separating.:rolleyes:

Bill
07-30-2003, 07:43 AM
No, the backstay chainplate is 7/16 - inch thick ss, as noted in first post.

And yes, the stock cable diameter is 3/16 inch. Need to recheck the cables on #76. And also check the gage I used to measure things :)

ebb
07-30-2003, 08:16 AM
hmmmmm, so that's a 7/16" plate coming up out of the tired caulking? Need a newer computer with more pixies.

Tony G
07-31-2003, 06:03 AM
Altered State must be a racer with all of that heavy rigging. She has an 'extra' set of tracks on the foredeck too compared to most others. No matter what you just can't ruin the good looks of an Ariel. (no offense intended) It seems to me that the color pattern is reversed from what one would expect. The white non-skid must be easy on the keester in full sun. Judging from the complete boat tent neighbors that's the reasoning.
Bill, is that one in the registry?

Bill
07-31-2003, 08:36 AM
Tony,

Yes, the boat is in the registry, but we believe the ownership may have changed since the boat has moved from Sausalito to Alameda Island. So far, the owner in the current registry is not answering his phone . . .:mad:

And no, #122 is not racing. We believe she's setup for heavy weather off shore sailing. Too much heavy gear to be a racer :D

marymandara
07-31-2003, 10:55 AM
If you'd like some bronze ports instead, and have some servicable marinium, let me know soon. I got bronze and they're awful heavy....
Dave

richard_janek
07-31-2003, 02:21 PM
I purchased the boat from Lance Peterson about a year ago. The name on the transom at that time was "Delta Madness". I hauled out, painted the hull and bottom and made some other changes. The boat came to me with the oversized rigging that will be changed some time soon.

My name is Richard Janek, I live in Oakland and my home phone
number is 510-835-8031, please leave a message.

My work number is 650-327-8296 x110

I like to cruise around the bay and enjoy overnights at Clipper Cove, Angel Island and Richardson Bay.

Best Regards,
Richard

ebb
08-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Ola Capt. Richard. Happy to hear you aren't planning to race thru named hurricanes and cyclones! And relieved you aren't too put off by gossip about how your Starry Skies is dressed.

Capt. Dave. Can't find the bloody Marinium ports. Toggles and the cast seats were damaged or bent and seized on both. Frustrated and seized by insanity I got what I thought was nearly same size replacements from Spartan, but as you say, the weight and casting difference is astronomical. I think the very nice screens that came with them weigh 1/2# each. I can't bring myself to put them in, be kinda like 3/8" cable for the upper shrouds. Too m u c h !
I may take the aluminum ports to a machinist when then turn up, see what they can do. I'll let you know if I won't use them.

Bill
08-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Richard comments: I put the forward hatch hinges on after blowing the single lower locking mechanism on a windy trip to Half Moon Bay. I tore the old latch out by catching a jib sheet under the hatch cover, I was not amused by the open hatch while rounding Pt. Montera so I put the forward hinges on. The hatch opens in either direction. I have to remove the pins when I open the hatch. The extra hassle is worth the piece of mind. Having two set of hinges is standard on many older wooden boats with exposed hatches.

Bill
11-06-2010, 10:07 PM
This note from A-357 October 1, 2010:

CF 7239 CB (aka A-122) is now gone - She has been scrapped sometime in the last month. As you may have seen in the recent postings on the board, many of her parts are being sold.
I have acquired her basically unused main and one jib.

Richard told me that he HAD sorted out the decks, which were the main issue with his wanting to give the boat away last year. He said that he'd given himself a year to complete the re-assembly and had not managed that.

He said he is now looking for another boat... (30' range)

Essentially, an Ariel with brand new standing rigging, new sails, and in good structural condition has been scrapped. I wish he would have posted something on the board. I certainly could not take her, but someone else might have...

He did mention that he did try to give it away...

Anyway - just an update for your records...

Antonio

Chance
11-07-2010, 05:01 AM
Ebb,
What size of Spartan portlights did you buy? I'm contemplating replacing the fixed ports in CEILI and so far the alternative source that keeps surfacing in my vision is Spartan. I just can't bring myself to install squarish ports and to my knowledge, only Spartan, makes oval parts of substantiality. I have considered Lewmar's oval, but think they may look better on a more modern vessel. I called Spartan the other day to check pricing for polished ports, it's a $144.00 upcharge (additional), of course out of my league.