PDA

View Full Version : PHRF rating

ebb
05-30-2003, 01:18 PM
Is it, as found on >search,

for you racers? What is taken into account when developing this number. Why is it important, I assume it is a way of handicapping so dissimilar boats can race with each other? Is this number always the same for the standard rig? Thanks

Bill
05-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Not all PHRF ratings are the same :confused: 252 is the rating for JUBILEE on SF Bay. MAIKAI rates 258. Why? Well, Don used a 180 Genoa and I use a 155. There is no reduction in handicap if your maximum headsail is 155% or less.

The Ariel PHRF will differ from these in other geographic regions. That's because the rating is both for measurement AND observed performance in the local venue.

There were a couple of Web sites that give good explainations of the PHRF system, but I need to check to see if the URL's are still good. www.yra.org also has something on Bay Area PHRF.

ebb
05-30-2003, 06:20 PM
rilly s t r a n g e !

who's at the end of the chain - some old wizened sailor??;)

Is 252 better than 255?

Bill
05-30-2003, 07:43 PM
It's like golf (which I also don't understand). The bigger the number the slower you can sail . . .:rolleyes:

ebb
05-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Being on the hard in the boatyard
338 must be batting a 1000!

Who are we trusting to create this number? Is there a PHRF mafia? Who pays for it?

So it's so much sail area to waterline length to wetted surface area to displacement - some kind of equation...?
So when a racer looks at this number what is the sailor comparing it to? Is there an ideal three digit number that every Ariel cruiser/racer would want? Is this number just for racing or is there a safety issue implied in how hot or cool a number you have been awarded?

Curiouser and curiouser.

Theis
05-31-2003, 05:36 AM
No. 82 has a 258 with a 170% genoa on Lake Michigan. There is a lot of debate on the PHRF because sailors, and boat builders build to the PHRF. The faster boat and the higher PHRF wins.

They are now developing a new system that, as I understand it will be first used on the Chicago Mackinac race this year that is more complex and difficult to fool. The rating will differ depending on the wind velocity.

ebb
05-31-2003, 07:47 AM
Contrary to what I heard: the pin head rating formula really stands for Performance Handicap Racing Fleet. Ratings are assigned in seconds per mile that is slower than a theoretical boat which rates zero.

MORC, Midget Ocean Racing Club, rules (which the Ariel was designed for), similar to the IOR, obviously fit our boats better than the Performance Handicap Racing Factor ....."is a subjective rating rule...developed to handicap monohulls that didn't fit under the rubric of other handicap systems. It has since become the most popular h. system in the US, being almost universally used in club rating."

A coupla guys make all the turbidity as clear as possible on

www.cs.brown.edu/people/jfh/personal_other/boats/FAQ/node13.html