PDA

View Full Version : Sparky is wet again

Mike Goodwin
04-24-2003, 02:25 PM
Robert splashed Sparky late yesterday , here are some shots.

Mike Goodwin
04-24-2003, 02:27 PM
Touching up the pad spots

Mike Goodwin
04-24-2003, 02:29 PM
Now that's a sweet shaped hull!

French
05-14-2003, 09:58 AM
Ok, My question here is ... did a crane lower your mast?

Mike Goodwin
05-14-2003, 02:54 PM
Nope , we did it with a block from the cross member of the travel lift.

French
05-14-2003, 03:47 PM
Ok, how about some details...for the slow... rookie.

I can not lock onto a visual...

block as in block and tackle?:confused:

Mike Goodwin
05-15-2003, 01:55 PM
Notice,hanging from the cross-member.

Mike Goodwin
05-15-2003, 02:05 PM
You make a strop and tie the ends to the moving block , the strop rides up and catches below the spreaders and haul away . Keep a line on the base of the mast for control.
You can do the same thing in a slip with the halyards from 2 neighbor's boats , makes the ends together and fasten to the strop and haul on both halyards together ( make sure you have their permission ).You only have to lift a foot to get the cables clear then lower away while the base of the mast is being walked forward and some one in the cockpit catches the top of the mast as it comes down.
There are lots of ways to raise and lower a mast without need of a crane.

mrgnstrn
10-20-2003, 04:17 PM
thought i would drag out this old topic.

when you were using the block and tackle, did you get a sense of how much the whole mast weighs? ~80 lbs? I think I am going to need to unstep the mast and I am sitting on the hard already. I wonder if it is even feasible to concoct a frame high enough to rig a block to lift up the mast (like the block and tackle when Robert splashed "Sparky" and rigged her).

Any thoughts?
The yard wants to charge $250+ (!!) for a one-way trip (stepped to unstepped, or vice versa). hoping to get away for significanly less.

Mike Goodwin
10-20-2003, 06:12 PM
Make a set of shear legs and do it yourself.I would say the mast is all of 80# or more depends on hardware and blocks, etc.

commanderpete
10-20-2003, 06:34 PM
Hey! This is the same boat that got unmercifully battered by that evil Vanguard in the hurricane only about a month ago. What happened?

Mike Goodwin
10-20-2003, 06:36 PM
Old pictures !

Mike Goodwin
10-20-2003, 06:37 PM
It wasn't a Vanguard afterall but a newer 1970 somthing Pearson.

Tony G
10-20-2003, 06:44 PM
Mrgnstrn,
The mast on 113 weighs in at just over 100 lbs. We wish you the best of luck and take notes and photos. I'm a year behind you too!:D

mrgnstrn
10-21-2003, 11:02 AM
My yard informed me today that it is against my "dry-storage agreement" to unstep the mast without a "certified rigger" present.
what a bunch of crap! $250+ for a one way trip is outrageous.
I am going to have to call them back and talk them down a bit.

commanderpete
10-21-2003, 05:56 PM
Oh yeah....duh....those were pre-disaster pictures. Hope all goes well with the rebuild.

Encouraging photo follows. http://www.sailorgirl.com/assets/blueh2o.jpg

Mike Goodwin
10-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Mrgnstm,
Rules be rules.
I have seen boat owners do some very stupid things on their own , saw a guy release all his stbd shrouds then move to the portside and so did the mast . Right into a recently restored 1956 ChrisCraft . He thought the compression post was part of the mast and would hold it up.
It is an easy job , but I'm a rigger every day , for an accountant or public defender it may be too much and the yard staff doesn't know your skills.

Today I rigged and moved several 3x6 x30' mahogany timbers ,up 22' and down into the schooner we are building. They weigh 400 lbs. Did it by myself with a chainfall and a strop. Had a volunteer hanging on a tagline for effect.

mrgnstrn
10-22-2003, 08:07 AM
Yeah, rules are to follow, but i just wished that you could request a waiver, or varience. After all, I have a BS in Mechanical Eng and a MS in Eng Science. I would hope that i could outsmart my own mast and do it safely. but alas.
I wonder if you could get by with a Professional Engineering Certificate?
well, another few hundred into the hole in the water (or on land as it may be.

darn.

ebb
10-22-2003, 10:53 AM
doesn't this exchange here BEG the discussion of a tabernacle? (not talking bout the hinged step)

If what I understand is that the yard will charge $250 to yank the mast and another $250 to put it back - why wouldn't you motor in under the lift for the bottom job, or park for the winter, whatever...

with your mast already down?

How much more than $500 would you be willing to invest in a system that takes care of raising and lowering your own mast whenever you want to do it?

Or would the jerks at the yard charge you a 'corking fee' for lowering it yerself?

I think I'm going to talk with Ballenger on this subject again.

Mike Goodwin
10-22-2003, 01:22 PM
$250 is very steep for a mast pull even if it was round trip , $500 is robbery !
You guys at the top of the Bay are getting ripped off. I'd find another yard if it were me .

mrgnstrn
10-22-2003, 03:50 PM
yes, a tabernacle couldn't possibly cost more than $500 (plus crane fees).

but to install that, i think the mast has to make at least one trip (down, off the mast step).

I agree, I would have loved to unstep my mast out in the bay prior to getting pulled for the winter. except that all that has already happened. I am already on the hard, on stands, and under the "rules" of the agreement.

double darn.

and thank you Mike, for agreeing that I shouldn't have to pay for the rigger's kid's college bill, now that i have my own kid's college bill to worry about (baby #1 due in february.)