PDA

View Full Version : A-205 Sirocco

S.Airing
04-14-2003, 11:06 PM
Sirocco April 03

Jim Wiles
04-15-2003, 07:26 PM
Your hard work and caring is very evident!! Certainly a very beautiful Ariel. Jim

commanderpete
04-16-2003, 04:15 AM
Yep. Sirocco is the Queen of the Fleet.

Welcome back, Steve.

ebb
04-16-2003, 06:32 AM
very sweet!

george copeland
04-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Magnificent, sir. Any photos of the salon?

S.Airing
04-21-2003, 06:52 PM
George,best I can do .Heres 1

S.Airing
04-21-2003, 06:54 PM
Heres 2

Jim Wiles
04-22-2003, 06:43 PM
Steve,
Very nicely done; looks very cozy; very shippy! I absolutely love it. If you ever want to sell her call me. You know I'm kidding but on the flip side I'm really not kidding. One of these days I will have a second Ariel; one up North and one for central and South.
Jim

Scott Galloway
04-23-2003, 11:22 PM
Steve,

Your photos are always poetry in exquisite Ariel form. One question: Is the bracket beneath your sink above the cabinet door for a Sea Swing stove, for a table or for something else?

OK, one other question: It appears that you went the porta-potti route. Any regrets?

S.Airing
04-24-2003, 09:32 AM
Scott,you are correct the bracket is for a Sea swing stove.As for the porta-potti ,no regrets after all these years.

S.Airing
04-24-2003, 09:58 AM
Jim,just send me a check.Sirocco is now and always up for sale for the right price.Of course if you want my slip in Annapolis its an extra 2000.00.

S.Airing
05-21-2003, 10:15 AM
Sirocco saved up enough $$$$ over the winter to have new acrylic windows installed.Lets see if they last as long as the last ones did(lexan)

Jim Wiles
05-21-2003, 07:54 PM
Steve,
I have replaced our windows twice in 23 yrs. and I have always used acrylic plexiglas. Seems like they hold up well for 3 or 4 yrs. and then start developing a few internal bubbles and crazing and then we change them out. I keep a new set at home stored in a cool place , with the protective paper on, ready to go. As I remember the cost has not been too bad. I did price lexan a few yrs. ago and it was quite a bit more money.
Did the lexan not hold up well for you?
Jim

S.Airing
05-22-2003, 09:11 AM
The lexan lasted me 11 years,never did craze or bubble.Lexan seems to scratch very easy and starts to gets milky after about 5 or 6 years.Acrylic I am told holds up longer but is not as strong. I did increase the window thickness fom 3/16 to 1/4 inch.

Jim Wiles
05-22-2003, 08:19 PM
I certainly agree with 1/4 inch; that is what we use. I think all in all that acrylic is a good choice. I always wet the surface down before I clean the lites and it seems to somewhat limit scratches caused by cleaning.
Jim

S.Airing
08-05-2003, 10:58 AM
LtCdr.Lancealot first mate on Sirocco on a short break after running repell boarder drills .Hes not as good looking as Cdr. Petes crew but hes ok.

S.Airing
01-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Sirocco is for sale,8500.00 if anyone is interested.

ebb
01-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Looks like a MILLION DOLLARS to me! Seems like a fantastic price!

tpalmer
01-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Capt. Airing,

I think Sirocco is one of the first boats I looked at on the web when I was thinking of buying my boat. What a beautiful boat. I've always admired a blue hull and yours looks like a showroom finish?

TP

PS What's the setup with the solor panels?

mbd
01-20-2004, 06:51 AM
Beautiful! I'm just starting my search for an Alberg classic. Want to sail her to Maine?

S.Airing
01-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Capt. tpalmer,
The panel is a 65 watt and is a standard set up with a controler going to both house and starting batteries.

walberts
01-30-2005, 07:22 AM
Hi Steve,

What engine does Sirocco have? She is a pretty boat. Why have you decided to sell her?

We live up on the Bohemia River, on the Eastern Shore.

Bill

ebb
01-30-2005, 07:58 AM
A shipshape and bristol Ariel is worth every cent of Steve's asking price. If you think a fixer is a bargain at $4000 to $5000 you need a reality adjustment. ASK ME! You'ld be bloody lucky to find any classic in as great a shape as this - and you can sail it away just like a $50,000 day sailer! With a huge smile on you face.

epiphany
01-30-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm with ebb on that! Had I known about Scirroco before committing to the purchase and refit of #370, I would have snapped her up. What a first-rate vessel. :)

I've estimated that I'll be doing good to come out of #370's refit at that price when it's all said and done, and that's with an outboard engine that was almost free, and doing the labor myself. Let's not even ponder the many non-sailing months between now and when she is ready to take to the seas again...

Buying an Ariel? Awesome!

Buying an Ariel fully refitted and ready to sail away? Priceless. :)

Bill
01-30-2005, 10:05 AM
"Had I known about Scirroco before committing to the purchase and refit of #370, I would have snapped her up."

Another good reason to use the search button . .

epiphany
01-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Edit: Doh!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o Bill is right.

Maybe I should have written him - I don't remember seeing that, or maybe it was old enough that I figured she was sold already. Gads! (kicks self) :D

On the bright side, today I pulled sails out of the bags I took off of #370 yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised. A spinnaker, in very good shape. A reefable jib (always wanted to try one of those) with mildew on it, but otherwise in excellent shape, fabric seems almost new. Genoa, not sure what size, but in fair shape, fabric and stitching. Mainsail, fabric soft but still strong, and the stitching is still in good shape. Looks like I'll send the jib, genny, and main to Sailcare and have them cleaned and reconditioned, saving some of the budget $$$ - I'd been expecting to have to buy a set of new sails.

Bill
01-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Steve posted it on January 1, 2004 . . . :rolleyes:

Bill
01-31-2005, 04:19 PM
Here is a message from Steve:

Sirocco has an Atomic 4 inboard that was overhaulded in 1992.

She is still for sale ,the first check for 6500.00 can take her home.

She is currently on the hard at White Hall Yacht Yard in Annapolis Maryland.

S.Airing
02-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Hello all

Sirocco is still for sale,shes a great boat but I just dont seem to have the time any more to give to her.The first 6500.oo can take her.She is up on the hard at White Hall Yacht Yard in Annapolis Maryland.

ebb
02-01-2005, 12:24 PM
holy mackeral what else you want you fools!!! :D

Jim Marron
02-04-2005, 03:00 PM
I am interested in Mr. Airng's boat but not sure how to get a message to him. Thanks for any help. Jim Marron

Bill
02-04-2005, 03:11 PM
The contacts we have for Steve are old, but may work. Try the E-mail first:

H-301/540-6728
W-202/678-1105

airing AT georgetown (dot) edu

S.Airing
02-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Some people have asked me for an equipment list ,so here it is.
My home and work phone numbers are still the same,but I work strang hours and am hard to catch. Cell phone #202-439-5270
e mail airingsd (at) georgetown(dot)edu

Thanks

c_amos
02-16-2005, 07:29 AM
I notice it asks for a password, and then uses Word to open once you hit canx. That is a pretty impressive list of equiptment you have amassed
there, so just in case anyone has a problem opening this list here it is;

SIROCCO EQUIPMENT LIST

ELECTRONICS
Shakespeare SE 800 VHF radio
Shakespeare hand held radio with 120 and 12-volt chargers
Autohelm ST30 bidata depth and speed
Plastimo bulkhead mounted compass, can be seen above and below decks
Magellan Nav 6000 GPS and chart plotter and bulkhead mount
Autohelm ST1000 autopilot
AM/FM and cassette stereo

ELECTRICAL
Shipwright 15 amp mounted shore power charger
Heart interface 1000-watt inverter
25-foot shore power cable
Siemens SP36 mounted solar panel and controller
35-amp alternator
Balmar MC-512 programmable smart regulator
Cruising Equipment Amp-hour meter for house bank
3 fans
1 fluorescent light
4 brass lights
2 brass kerosene lamps
Circuit breaker panel

SAILS / HARDHARE
Harken unit size 0 installed August 2000
2 #16 self-tailing chrome Harken winches
1 # 6 chrome Harken winch on mast
2 chrome Harken locking winch handles
North Sail main new in 1995(in excellent shape)
North Sail 165% gennaker for furler new in 2001
North Sail cruising spinnaker with sock new in 1996 (only used 3 times)
Stern and bow pulpits
Navy blue dodger and awning
Navy blue main sail cover
Navy blue tiller cover
Navy blue stern rail weather cloth
Navy blue handrail covers
Cockpit cushions and 2 seats
Inflatable dingy with wood floor and transom Seaworthy model 8.3
Oars and foot pump
13 pound anchor 30 feet of chain 200 feet rode
Anchor roller on bow
ENGINE
Atomic 4 over hauled in 1993
Electronic ignition
Electric fuel pump
Raw water-cooled with thermostat
Water pump new 2001
Racor fuel filter/water separator
Engine gages, RPM, water temp and oil pressure in cockpit
Shaft and packless seal installed 1999
Propeller 3 blade 13X6
Spare propeller 2 blade 13X8
Engine maintenance manuals and parts list

GALLEY
Origo 2 burner alcohol stove
Adler/Barbour refrigeration in top loading box
GE microwave 500 watt
Magma propane grill with rail mount and navy blue cover
Propane storage bag
Plates, cups and silverware for 4
Weems and Plath brass clock and barometer

VARIOUS OTHER INFO
Rigging replaced in 1993
Turnbuckles replaced 1993
Main cabin windows replaced 2003
Water tank monel capacity 12 gallons
Fuel tank monel capacity 15 gallons

c_amos
05-03-2005, 05:05 AM
Steve,

I am astounded and amazed there has been no 'sold' yet posted to this thread.

Might just be that you need to double the price, a boat like Sirocco for a price like that might be a little too hard for some to believe. :D

mbd
05-03-2005, 07:34 AM
I haven't been able to get in touch with him. Anyone know if he's still around???

...the weather is finally getting nice up here!

Bill
05-04-2005, 10:31 PM
I haven't been able to get in touch with him. Anyone know if he's still around???

Did you try his cell?

"(2/11/05) My home and work phone numbers are still the same, but I work strange hours and am hard to catch. Cell phone #202-439-5270 e-mail:
airingsd (at) georgetown(dot)edu"

mbd
05-05-2005, 03:30 AM
Yup. Cell: two messages. Home: never an answer. Email: no reply. Haven't tried work yet, maybe he lives there? :rolleyes:

mbd
05-05-2005, 06:01 AM
Thanks all. Got an email from Steve. He said he's not sure what he'll do with Sirocco, but it's not a priority at the moment.

I should probably be looking closer to home anyway... :(

Jon
05-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Tony, thanks for answering my question. I recently bought A-205, whom everyone knows as Sirocco, and she has been hauled so that the marina and I can clean her up and replace some systems. I think the manual will be a good guide.

Jon
05-26-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm pulling 205's old atomic within the next few days and I need to find a way to clean all of the accumulated crud that is stuck to the bottom and sides of the engine bay. I tried scraping some of it but it's greasy and pasty and seems to dislike the idea of giving up. Any suggestions, anyone? thanks.

mbd
05-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Do you have access to a power washer? With no engine in the way it seems like it'd be pretty straight forward. I'll scrub mine down with a good dose of Simple Green as part of my Spring cleaning. Works OK and smells good and clean for a little while. Is your boat on the hard? If so, install a garboard drain so you don't have to pump out your cleaning water.

Jon
05-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks Mike, I'll do that. I don' know what a garboard drain is, but I can probably suck the crud out with a hand pump. I plan to paint the interior and paint the unseen interior that lies beneath the forward compartment, interior cabin and cockpit with Kilz and then repaint everything. I had new cushions made and picked them up today. They look great but they sure were pricey.

I'm sure that my next question has been covered in one of the prior posts, but is it possible to completely remove the cabin sole for refinishing. I'd also like to take it out so that I can scrub the bilge If so....how? j

Commander 147
05-27-2010, 03:56 AM
Jon

If your cabin sole is like mine it is glued down to the plywood below it. You won't get it out without destroying it.

Jon
05-27-2010, 05:19 AM
Jerry, that's what I was afraid of. I spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to get that out, but the sucker wouldn't budge so I'll refinish it where it sits. Then throw a narrow rug over it, as some do.

Jon
05-30-2010, 06:20 AM
Guys, I am going to replace the gas powered A-4 in 205 and repower with a 10HP Kubota diesel hopefully within the month, and your comments about removing the tank and using a smaller portable tank make a lot of sense. Rather than post a new thread about removing that gas tank, my I ask.....how difficult is it to remove the inboard tank?

Jon
05-31-2010, 07:00 PM
Well, I should know in a few days as soon as that A-4's corpse is removed and I get the engine bay cleaned up. I can't tell anything about it as she sits. The cockpit drains on 205 aren't connected and water simply drains into the boat and on into the bilge. Learn as I go I guess.

epiphany
06-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Jon -

You might want to try some citrus-based paint stripper as a cleaning agent. In #422's thread I detailed how I used it to remove paint on the hull, and I have used it since to also clean some particularly nasty spots. I bet it would help in that engine bay, and it's only about $8 to find out for sure... Congrats on the new boat! :)

Kurt n Katie

Jon
06-02-2010, 05:34 AM
Kurt, thank you for the reply. I bought a bottle of the "green' degreaser and will use that first but I'm 99% certain that there is more than just a bit of grease in that bay. There are also several nasty spots that I couldn't remove with warm water and soap in the cockpit. I'll try your method. jon

mbd
06-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Jon, it looks as though Bill may have moved your post here, but let us know if you do decide to go forward with the portable diesel tank. I really like Carl's 'out of the box' idea - it certainly has some merits. But I'll probably be sticking with my permanent installation for the foreseeable future - as much out of inertia as just get what I've got working and maintained properly.

I'll be very jealous of your shiny new Kubota though. If you're having someone install it, I'm sure he'll have his opinions and advice on the matter too.

PS. I like you battery location, low and centered. Mine live in the port cockpit locker next to the engine. I've always wanted to move them lower and forward. Do you have another battery somewhere too?

Jon
06-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Mike, I'll will let you know what I do with the gas tank and I'm real excited about the engine replacement. The guy that owns the marina where I berth recently rebuilt a 32' Endeavor from bow to stern and its a sweetheart. He's knowledgeable but darn slow. I'll have to order the Kubota but I don't want to do that until I know when the marina can begin the install.

Jon
07-01-2010, 11:56 AM
I've got an update on the work I'm doing on Sirocco. Oklahoma has been either very hot or very wet since April and because of the weather and a torn right rotator cuff and an arthroplasty on my left thumb, I haven't had nearly the time or physical ability to work on her as I would have liked, but, some things have been done. The old A-4 was pulled and I've cleaned and painted the engine bay and most of the area under the cockpit seats. I've also been able to paint about 90% of the forward compartment and pull nearly all of the deck hardware. The bottom job is about 99% complete and after checking the hull with a moisture meter that pinged hard in several places along the hull, I drilled a hole into the void and found it completely dry. She didn't yield a drop of water. Next week she is going into a covered shop for deck recoring, deck paint and non-skid, scratch, nick and gouge repair and probably for new paint above the water line. Oh, and a new engine with new hoses and electrical, etc. I might actually have this boat in the water by September.

Jon
07-01-2010, 12:05 PM
I failed to mention Sirocco's rudder. I had thought of replacing it with a new wooden rudder but was unable to find anyone who could build a new one so with the marina's help we are having a light stainless steel cover fabricated for the existing rudder. I had no idea you could do that....

Anyway, attached are a few pictures of some progress.

Jon
07-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Sirocco's navy blue hull above the water line is being sanded in anticipation of repainting and I'm curious to know if anyone has any comments or suggestions on a new color for her hull. I am thinking of a darker color, maybe a blue/green variant, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if the hull's color will affect the interior temperature of the cabin, especially during the summer?

c_amos
07-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Faith has a dark blue hull, and while I have not had her painted any other color I have sailed enough boats painted white that i do not believe that the topsides* make the big difference in interior temperatures that it seems (*hull above the waterline and below the gunwale).

My decks are white and powder blue... a very light blue. I think the deck color is far more significant then the topsides... And the darker colors just look so nice on these beautiful hulls.

JMHO.

Jon
07-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Thank you c_amos, and believe me, I appreciate your opinion and suggestions. I agree with you on a light deck color being cool and Sirocco's topside deck areas will be re-painted white after a few soft spots are repaired. I had seen a post on the Plastic Classic forum, where some of the members stated that they thought the cabin temps could vary as much as 15 degrees hotter if the hull above the water line and below the gunnels were painted a dark color. Not to say they aren't right, but I worked on Sirocco a lot this summer during the heat of the midday sun with the forward and cabin hatches open and, even under direct sunlight, it was much hotter outside than inside. Kinda like I'd imagine a Sioux sweat lodge to be, without the smell of fresh sage. I'm not wild about yellow, orange, purple or brown, so, other than the traditional white or deep Navy blue, have you any suggestions for the "hull" color. I'm limited in my knowledge of what other's have done and which colors will make my boat look as great as possible.

Rico
07-12-2010, 09:29 AM
I agree in thet the deck color and amount of overall shade is/are a big factor in the interior temperature...

The air temperature will also have a big impact on the interior temperature as well, but the hull color will have a large impact on the temperature of the hull itself in the sun. The angle of exposure, is also important; e.g. the sun at the stern will affect temperature much less than the sun directly on the beam.
You can conduct a test yourself with a few small test areas.

The hull temperature will influence the interior temprerature to the degree that the surrounding air cannot compensate. You can experience the actual hull temperature on any type of boat by touching the interior surface of the hull. (as long as they are not insulated hulls!)

The hull temperature is also important for the longevity of the materials (to varying degrees): Polyester resin hull, gelcoat, paint, etc. which may accellerate crazing, fading, etc.

I wanted to be safe on the Mephisto Cat so I went with a light Gray & White (plus it is a color combination I liked!), but I am also considering many other color options for C-187. You can read some of my color ramblings on that thread.... On the Gallery you can see hulls in Dark green (C-299), Dark Blue (C-227), Red, a very nice light(er) green (C-#65), etc.

Let us know what you come up with!

Jon
07-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Rico,

Thank you for that reply. That's exactly the kind of lead I need to help me direct me to a color.

Tony G
07-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Jon

I agree with Craig and others that feel a classic hull in dark colors look sharp. Several years ago I bought interlux perfection (black) when it was on sale and haven't even opened a can yet! I turn the cans over once or twice a year when I think of it. I know 113's hull is going to be less than perfect and the dark color will probably accentuate every flaw but I can live with that as long as she's in the water. White decks and non-skid. Originally I was planning on a white mast and boom but I have seen others painted a hue(?)-shade(?) of yellow that looks like perfectly varnished wooden mast....schwinnng!!

Ferenc Mate` had photos of a Sam L. Morse Bristol Channel Cutter named Indigo. Man what a beautiful boat!

Jon
07-13-2010, 06:16 AM
I really like all of those colors. Lord, what to do? One color that I'm really impressed by is the Pearl color that you see on a some high end autos, like Lexus and Cadillacs. I think that the Pearl with a smooth satin finish and a white deck with Pearl nonskid would look pretty sharp and would help address the heat and gel coat imperfection issues. Has anyone ever seen that color and if you have, where would one find it? In any event, I'm going to have to decide pretty quickly....an almost unheard of concept since the marina that is actually doing this work, and who was supposed to have me back in the water in June, may actually be moving along toward having her ready to paint in a few days.

mbd
07-13-2010, 06:50 AM
Have you considered using the actual auto-paint? One of our Ariels (A-24) was painted "Cadillac Yellow" many years ago by a PPO and looked pretty good. Not sure how well it has held up, and I don't know anything about paints, but it seems like auto-paint is made to stand up to some pretty harsh environments.

On another note, Tim Lackey used Alexseal Snow White on his Daysailor project. I was fortunate to see it in person, because pictures just don't do it justice. But the gloss and depth of that paint job was simply incredible - almost 3-dimensional. Very very impressive, and looked very classy with all the woodwork too. He also painted a friend's boat dark green and said that looked really nice too.

I have no doubt that Ebb's Little Gull is equally impressive...

Commander 147
07-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Jon

As Mike just noted Alexseal is a very good quality paint as is Awlgrip. Both have off white colors that might be to your liking. Neither of them have an off white with a pinkish tone (which is what I think of when I think pearl) however.

Here is a link to the two websites for the color choices available.

http://www.alexseal.com/en/exteriorcolor.php?swatch=T1150&title=Cream&f=.gif

http://www.awlgrip.com/support/colorcards/Pages/ColorCard.aspx?card=Standard

We want pictures after she is done. :-)

Jon
07-13-2010, 07:13 AM
I've been looking all over the www for paint colors and had not seen those two sites. The axelseal site has some great colors. You all can be sure that I'll post photos as she's coming along and for those who might be interested I'm going to post photos of the new Kubota 10 before, hopefully during, and after installation. That should be happening within the month. I'm really excited about all of this and I'm greatful for all of the input that you guys have provided. I've had my share of bassboats and all of that but this is my first sailboat and I want her looking like she should before she is splashed again.

ebb
07-13-2010, 07:36 AM
This doesn't answer to the source of a 'pearl' finish. Intriguing!

BUT my old (1995) Dodge truck was sprayed with a color they called Driftwood. I think it was the clincher to mortgaging 5 years of monthly payments. When the day was overcast it was a light opalescent gray - when it was sunny the truck had a warm light brown hue. Gorgeous - when new.

On a sunny day in shadow it tricked back to pearl, there may be some metal flake in the color coat, but it is not obvious, way too subtle. It was all an effect by the clear coat over color.
Auto industry clear coats are not LPU, as I understand it.
That's why mine is burning off on the hood and roof, UV mange.

I called System 3 recently. I believe waterborne epoxies and enamels and LPU's are in our future, tho there is a higher price to pay for getting away from solvents.
I asked the guy about a flatting agent for their LPU's that I've been thinking of using like old time enamel around the boat. It virtually acts like paint - except it gets harder than hell and become difficult to sand. Probably best used outside!

Well, System 3 LPU is like auto paint in that if you want it SATIN you SPRAY it on in the clear coat. Yes, clear satin. I'm using S.3 light gray (Bainbridge White) on lit'lgull's deck and cabin - but don't expect to get it pearly!
I'll try roller and brush tipping.
Understand that I'll have to wet down my area and even mist the air!!!!! to get humidity up.

ASK: Custom auto paint shop. Local Awlgrip professional. Don't think waterborne paints are used by these gents.

[Here's a google site>Yankee 30 MkII hull #70 Colour (and paint). This guy likes dark hulls!]

Jon
07-14-2010, 08:34 AM
I have an XO that I have to run all this stuff by, out of courtesy as you might imagine but, also, just so she knows what needs to be done in case I give her a direct order (and ask) her to get the boat painted. Like her CO, she likes the dark colors, but XO wants a light finish so that her pedicure can be clearly seen by all, sooooo.....I'm thinking that Mephisto Cat's hull and deck finish will be "it" for this first sailboat. I have chosen the KISS method because XO is cute and she has..... uh....she's a great cook.

Jon
07-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Rico,

Do you happen to recall the color and color number you chose for your beautiful Mephisto Cat?

Rico
07-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Jon,

I'm glad you and the XO have decided on the Mephisto Cat's lovely colors. The little ship gets lots of complements - both out on the water & at the dock... I debated quite a bit before deciding on this scheme. I do love the dark colors but as explained in the Mephisto Cat's gallery thread, (not ot get into the discussion again here), I ended up with the gray and creamy white combination.

Some were sceptical at first but everyone (including myself) were pleasantly surprised at the results. I am clearly very happy with the results...

Unfortunately, I do not have a color number/code to provide... I mixed all the colors myself to achieve the shades I liked using base colors and a bit of pigment. (The gray topsides, lighter gray non-skid & the red for the waterline stripe.)

And by the way, I used gel-coat, not paint. The shade in the color-related pictures on the Mephisto Cat thread show the color nicely on my monitor... If this is not enough of a guide I could get you the color codes for the base colors I used. I will have tolook for those...

I could also sent you a blotch for you to try to match, if that would be helpful...

Jon
07-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Rico,

I am so colorblind that I wouldn't dare attempt this by meself. f you can just send the color codes and tell me the pigment you used, that would be great. jon

Jon
08-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Well, I have an update. The issue of the hull color for Sirocco was vexing because I'm colorblind and didn't want to just leave it up to the guys at the marina. After a lot of looking and head scratching XO and I finally decided on Stars and Stripes Blue for Sirocco's hull and on Matterhorn White for her decks. The non-skid will be Matterhorn White that is lightly tinted with the SS Blue. The first coat was applied to her hull on Friday and I think it looks great. Rico, I was just unable to match Mephisto Cat's colors and that's the sole reason I didn't try to duplicate your color scheme.

mbd
08-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Sweet!! Very nice choice, Jon!. I think I actually have a picture of a boat named "Breezy" in my "ideas folder" with that same color. Are you going to do a boot stripe and or cove stripe to?

Jon
08-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Thanks Mike. The guys at the marina didn't think it would look great and wanted me to go all white, but I just couldn't do that. As it turned out, everyone thinks its great and I'm already getting a lot of positive comments from some of the sailing club folks. I'm not sure what a boot or cove stripe is, but there will be a matterhorn white stripe at the water line and an accent stripe along the length of the hull and just below the toe rail. I think that's what you mean, lol.

Rico
08-30-2010, 11:27 AM
I finally decided on Stars and Stripes Blue for Sirocco's hull and on Matterhorn White for her decks.
The non-skid will be Matterhorn White that is lightly tinted with the SS Blue.
Rico, I was just unable to match Mephisto Cat's colors and that's the sole reason I didn't try to duplicate your color scheme.

That's a great color! Congratulations! I'm sure you'll get lots of compliments. There is lots of pressure to use the 'standard sailboat colors', you've stayed away from those and enjoyed great results!

I used Interlux's 'Matterhorn White' for my spars. Great stuff. Be sure to add a good amount of Stars & stripes blue to you non-skid paint color combination... It will keep you from getting blinded from the glare off the white decks

mbd
08-30-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure what a boot or cove stripe is, but there will be a matterhorn white stripe at the water line and an accent stripe along the length of the hull and just below the toe rail. I think that's what you mean, lol. Yup - she'll look great Jon!

S.Airing
03-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Jon,did you ever finish Sirocco?

Jon
03-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Steve,

As you may recall Sirocco was pulled from the water last April and the refurb work is ongoing. Hope to have her back in the lake by the end of March but the guys that are working on her are very slow. To date she has had a bottom job and we have replaced most of the thru hulls. Additionally, the rudder was epoxied and covered with glass, the deck was reworked for soft spots, the wood has been refinished, the brightwork has been rechromed, the hull and deck have been repainted and she is being refitted with a 14 HP Beta Maine diesel. We still have to rebuild the engine cover and companionway steps, replace the stuffing box, install electronics, an air conditioner and a depth finder and we're going to rework the icebox and replace all of the rigging and life lines, etc. We also need to do some minor work on her mast, refit the spreaders and add one of those wind cup indicators, etc. When I bought her the marina told me it would only take 2-3 months to get her ready so I've had new cushions for almost a year. I love this boat but in retrospect I would not do this again.

I have been wondering if you might recall from whom you bought her hull name decal. I liked that script and would be interested in seeing her name again as you had done it. She is inside of a shop and it's hard to take photos and even if I did, all you'd see is parts and tools lying around in closed quarters. I'll post some photos of her before we launch but I think you'd be happy with the way she is being treated now.

S.Airing
03-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the update Jon,seem like you have been very busy.
The decal was from Boat US graphics,I think West Marine does them too.

Steve

Jon
03-10-2011, 05:31 AM
Steve,

I found the Boat US graphics site and the script that I believe you used for Sirocco's name decal. Now I have a dilemma and need a bit of advice. Sirocco's hull has been painted in Stars and Stripes Blue and her deck in Matterhorn White. I'm partially color blind and I can't decide which color or color combination I should use for her lettering. Has anyone an idea or suggestion on color that would look nice against the SSB hull paint?

ebb
03-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Jon,
Howabout gold - with a thin black outline of each letter? Yacht-sie, after all you've done!

We like block lettering too much - how about an easy to read LOWER CASE script?
Isn't Sirocco a breezey name?

Don't know about computer graphics but will the cost compare with having a sign painter
coming to the boat and giving you unique transom art?

I've had Lit'lgull Coast Guard registered, and the transom is kindof occupied with other stuff,
so I've been thinking of putting this Ariel's name on her bow along with a painted cove stripe
that has a small stylized bird in flight in front .... over the modestly sized name Little Gull. I'll find room for the Port of Call on or near her transom.
Don'i think comuter graphics goes that far, or does it?

What options do we have with peel and stick vinyl art?

Jon
03-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Ebb,

Gold would be nice with the SSB and I'll check to see how that might look. Silver might be pretty too. The Boats US site has a feature that allows you to create and manipulate your proposed decal, but you probably already know that. The decals they make aren't that expensive either. Sirocco's original lettering was in Script and Steve Airing's selection and size was a classy presentation so in keeping with another of Steve's ideas her lettering will be in script.

I had thought about having an artist come out and do her magic on the transom name but the only thing that concerns me is that I might scratch it and repair would be easier with a decal once Sirocco is in the water. Sirocco is a breezy name and a great one for a sailboat.

Jon
03-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Sirocco is still in repair at the local marina and chop shop here in NE Oklahoma, where I am being assured by the guys who run the place that I will be in the water in April. The year of the splash has not been stated though so in accordance with my natural suspicion, I ain't betting much on this year despite the promises. Anyway, I went to the marina/chop shop today and took a few photos.

Jon
03-12-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm having probs uploading photos. I'll try later.

Jon
03-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Let's see if these will somehow attach for review:
IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_0675.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG
IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0686.JPG

Bill
03-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Start with "manage attachments" -- "browse" for your JPG files -- click on file and then "open" -- wait until the files show in the download windows before posting.

Jon
03-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Hoping these post, a few pictures of Sirocco's on going work.

Jon
03-19-2011, 12:21 PM
And, a few more that I couldn't get to load on the first attempt.

Jon
03-19-2011, 12:28 PM
These photos turned out all right, but they were taken indoors on a cloudy afternoon. I'm going to utilize script lettering for "Sirocco" on her stern, but being color blind and completely without any experience on things like this, I'm still uncertain of the color of her lettering and if the lettering should have bordering and all that stuff. There is a pretty nice pic of her stern and the reworked rudder. The bottom has been redone and will be washed down and probably given another coat before we launch.

Commander227
03-20-2011, 06:18 AM
Wow, she is really looking good! I love the color.
Mike
C227

Tony G
03-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Wow, she is really looking good! I love the color.
Mike
C227
I'll second that! Sirocco was my screen saver for many a year a while back. Steve was one of the first to post pictures when this association changed forum formats. And then the dream started..... Nice shop, by the way. Having a roof overhead helps a lot when it comes to bote werk. However, there has been tons of great stuff done by captains here out in the great wide open.

P.s. Keep on posting those pics.

Jon
03-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments. I loved the Stars and Stripes Blue the first time I saw it and I thought that it would make a good color for a Good Old Boat. I like it more each time I see it and I can hardly wait to see her on the water.

Jon
04-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Went to the lake this morning to check on Sirocco and I have a couple of pictures to add. Here is a shot of the engine cover and companion way access. I was going to install a sink but my wife and I wanted to wait to see if we'd really need it. We've plumbed it to add one later we want. The interior has been painted and I placed a couple of Sirocco's new cushions on the starboard settee to see how they would look. We still need to paint more in the cabin and we'll stain and clear coat the trim, but things are moving along. We anticipate having her in the water next weekend and will probably put her through sea trials next week after the engine is balanced and we have double checked all of her systems.

I forgot to photograph it, but we've installed a 15 gallon diesel tank in the laz, at least for the time being. I hope the extra weight that far aft won't be a problem but if it is we'll move it to balance her along her lines.

Commander 147
04-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Jon

I envy you. The thought of putting my boat in the water anytime soon is a thought I don't get to have for some time yet. But that though keeps me working on and making me focused on completing the restoration.

I like the choice of colors you made for the cushions. It's similar to a color I have been looking at myself. I have not made my choice but your cushions look good.

What materials did you use to build the companion way steps?

Jon
05-18-2011, 06:13 AM
Sirocco needs a set of hatch boards and I'm wondering if anyone has any for sale that will fit an Ariel....or....any suggestions of what I should do to replace my ragged set?

ebb
05-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Hey Jon,
how 'ragged' is ragged?
Original three boards are mahogany with the middle board stepped or lapped.
All vertical edges are nicely made with thick cross grain strips dadoed in to discourage warping.

Almost any disreputable set of boards could be brought back with stripping, sanding and varnish.
What happened to Sirocco's?

Jon
05-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Ebb,

The vertical edges of the center hatch board is rotted away pretty badly. Otherwise they're serviceable but quite ugly. I may be able to "fix" them with some plastic wood and a bit of judicious sanding, etc., but I'd rather have a new set.

Sirocco is coming along pretty nicely. I had her surveyed last week and of course the survey didn't reflect her value at the money I've put into her, but that's probably normal. She's nearly ready to sail. I have her boom and main at home and I'm doing some cleanup work on the main....washing it down and trying to get rid of a few mildewed spots. The boom, which I would guess is not made of anodized aluminum, looks a bit dirty and I need to find some kind of compound to rub onto it and spruce it up a bit. Any idea of what to use to freshen it up?

Oklahoma's weather is not worthy of comment. Cold and blustery one day, warm and humid the next and it'll rain without warning. Kinda makes me crazy but I wouldn't have to work much harder to get me there. The weather being a factor, we want to launch this week and I'm going to push to see if that can be accomplished but you know....the weather. When we get to that stage I'm going to post some photos of Sirocco before, during and after launch.

She's pretty though, looks almost new and I think the surveyor was impressed with her. All of her decks have been reworked, all new thru hulls and plumbing, she has new cushions throughout, a new Beta Maine 14 hp diesel, rebuilt rudder, all new chrome and lots of bottom, topside and interior paint, new wiring. Basically we reworked or replaced everything. I need to add a couple of more coats of tung oil to the coamings and the tiller and that's really about all.

mbd
05-18-2011, 08:55 AM
I can't wait to see Sirocco floating again! Well done Jon!

ebb
05-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Mike says it.:D
Sirocco is a beautiful slick Ariel.
Have to see it again 2011!

There is a 'personal message' function on this site
where you can leave me a UPS shipping address.
Be happy to send A-338's hatch boards to you.

They are in good shape, given their age.
But need refurbishing to bring them up to Sirocco's standard.

Jon
05-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Ebb,

I used the personal message function to contact you. Let me know if you did not receive my reply. thanks, j

Jon
05-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the comment. This is the first time I've ever taken on a task like this and it was an interesting and fun project but I don't know that I would do it again. Getting too old, I think. jk

Jon
05-19-2011, 11:33 AM
These two photos show the age and wrinkles on Sirocco's boom and I tried rubbing the surface with a stainless pad. The rubbing doesn't remove anything and more than anything else the rubbed spot looks dark.

Has anyone any suggestions on what I should do to clean this boom and make the aluminum look better?

Ariel 109
05-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Well there's really not much you can do other than paint or re-anodized the aluminum spars. The black spots are from areas where the clear anodized layer has worn away and exposed the bare aluminum.

Rico
05-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Without the protective anodized coating aluminum in a marine environment tends to pit & get a coat of oxidation. This is what you are seeing. Best route would be to clean, etch, prime & paint. The results will astound you, both for bang for the buck (and effort). You can see a bit of how to & results on C-155's thread. I sprayed, but brushing is not a bad option...

Great job BTW - Scirocco is looking good!

Thumbs-up on the color. Very nice!

Jon
05-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks Rico and 109. That is good advice. I think I'll sail her this summer, send the sails off for cleaning in the fall and paint this aluminum over the winter. Give me something else to do...:)

Jon
05-31-2011, 07:33 AM
I made a post here the other day about replacing my hatch boards....which are horrible....and Ebb, without hesitation and without permitting me to pay for them, sent me a set from his boat. I want to say this: That is one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me. I received them, packed for shipping better than anything I could have imagined, and they are in great shape. They're exactly what I needed and although I'm never at a loss for words, I am this time. Ebb, thank you so much. Your kindness and generosity are amazing. I really do appreciate it. Jon

Jon
06-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Ok....Sirocco is back in the water. We still have to install a set of lazy jacks and the main and jib sheets, but I believe we may sail today. Sirocco is showing a little stern squat and I need some recommendations from others who have had the some problem with advice on what to do to balance her along her lines. Ebb kindly sent me his "old" hatchboards and they look great on Sirocco. I need to spend some time with the oil on her combings and fix a few other things, but we are getting there.

Bill
06-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Searching on "balance" will turn up several discussions. This one is a good starting point (see especially near the end)

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?2034-Balance-advice-and-input

Jon
06-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Bill, I read those posts shortly after posting these new photos. So, I headed off to Lowes and picked up three 60# tubes of sand; the stuff people put in the back of their vehicles for traction in snow and ice. The bags fit into the chain locker easily and after loading them I took another photo. She looks much better now. I also took her out for a sail in light air and with the jib I was able to push her to 4.9 knots.

S.Airing
06-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Jon ,
The old girl looks great ,condrads.

Steve

Jon
06-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Thank you Steve. I'm pleased that you like her. If you're ever down my way please don't hesitate to look us up. Jon

Commander 147
06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Aaahhhhh..............

Balance sure can change the looks can't it? Looks great now.

Jon
06-10-2011, 06:09 AM
One of the things I failed to mention about Sirocco's refurb is that we installed an onboard air conditioner. The system has outlets in the V-berth and in the main cabin and the AC has turned out to be a great addition on these blazing hot Oklahoma days.

Commander 147
06-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Jon

What is the model of the A/C unit you installed?

Jon
06-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Jerry, I believe that it's a 6000 BTU MarinAire. The unit priced out at about $1100.00 give or take. I think I can use it with battery power, but I only use it with shore power. Works great though and I'm glad we put it in.

Commander 147
06-11-2011, 04:03 AM
Jon

I think I found a link to the unit you are talking about. Is this it?

http://www.marinaire.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MSB6K2

Very interesting unit. Florida nights can be very hot and very muggy so I can see the advantage of something like this.

mrgnstrn
06-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Now that Sirocco is back in the water...you need to start preparing for the Good Old Boat regatta!

It starts and finishes right off of Greenbury point!

Jon
06-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Gosh, I sure would love to do that. Perhaps some day I will. I am anxious to see how events unroll around here on Lake Oolagah on Independence Day. Should be a madhouse but I'll be in the mix.

Jon
10-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Sirocco was splashed in June of this year and the heat of the summer kept her in her slip most of the time. Seasonal temps have changed though and I've been sailing her by myself and with my wife for the last month and we're having a great time. I'm also upgrading some of the repair work that was done by the marina that was responsible for her refurb....such as installing backing plates on all of the stanchion bases and mooring cleats. You'd have thought the turn key deal I made with these guys would have included that much attention to the detail of her refurb but it apparently didn't and I've come to the conclusion that I'll never let them work on her again.

One of the other repairs that I requested was that these craftsmen build Sirocco's companion way and engine cover to match the original but I ended up with the setup in this picture. I'm wondering if anyone has an original companion way, engine cover and side table for sale? If you have, please give me a shout and let's talk about price.