PDA

View Full Version : PEARSON HARDWARE

Bill
04-04-2003, 09:32 AM
As most are aware, Carroll Herrington is dropping the Rostand marine hardware business. He was producing such things as the fixed window frames, small opening ports, tiller head fitting, and etc.

The patterns for the Pearson hardware are being donated to a maritime school which has indicated an interest in producing the hardware for sale to boat owners. The pattern transfer is expected to be completed by July of this year. As we follow up you will be kept informed as to the progress and we will let you know when the Pearson boat hardware is again available.

Bill
07-16-2003, 08:00 AM
We contacted the school yesterday, and here is their reply:

"We are no closer to being in a position to offer you castings or use of the patterns I am afraid. I will keep you updated on progress."

The Association will continue to follow up on this story.

(Note: Some of the Rostand hardware is shown in Appendix B of the Manual on p.78.)

Bill
01-10-2005, 07:14 PM
We contacted the school again today and here is their reply:

"We have unfortunately made little progress toward making any of that collection available. We are continuing to discuss the options. However, several of our primary attempts have not come to fruition. I do have you on the file of interested parties and will pass that along to whomever ultimately gets things moving."

Jim Rester
01-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Bill

Someone recently removed the little oval Pearson Yachts #80 Plaque from my Commander. Is there a source for a replacement?

If it shows up anywhere, it's stolen and I sure would like to have it back.

Did Pearson cast the number in the boat anywhere?

Thanks

Jim

c_amos
01-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Ok, here it is....

Clearly such a project is not 'cool' enough to students of such a school, so we must infiltrate this establishment. I propose PLAN X :cool:

We find a volunteer, then fund their tuition at the school. They 'learn' of the existence of the forms, and show great interest in the project......

...Ok, ok, so that may not work... rev. (a) would happen if this interest did not inspire the schools staff to participate, then our 'plant' would covertly manufacture the fittings under the cloak of darkness, .......

The proceeds could repay the initial outlay for the tuition, then go towards setting up a scholarship fund for the agents replacement........

Who is in?

(remember this is a SECRET plan)

Bill
01-11-2005, 04:28 PM
OK, here's the real deal - PLAN A

The first $16,000 gets the Pearson hardware patterns! That's right, only $16k and they are ours! :eek:

That's the price at which Herrington offered them to us a couple of years ago. At the time, the $300 in the Association kitty did not seem adequate, but now with all our new members, it should only take about a $160 donation from each to cover the cost . . . ;)

epiphany
01-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Is it illegal for some reason I cannot think of to backwards-engineer these pieces? Or not illegal, just cost prohibitive to do, because of the somewhat limited market?

'Tis a shame, either way. I would like to use "original" hardware to refit #370, but nearly $1K just for the windows (what Ronstand was charging) is a wee bit too much. ;) It makes that piece of paper with numbers all over much more frightening... :)

c_amos
01-11-2005, 05:46 PM
....Tuition costs a lot less then $16,000.00...... .....

.....Maybe Plan X is not so far fetched after all..... :D

RichardPearson
01-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Since the school got them as a donation, and no one there seems to want to do anything with them, I surmise they might be willing to part with them at a discount -- maybe $500 or so. However, assuming we could all come up with that, we would still have the cost of getting the castings made, and I don't know if that cost would be at all reasonable.

Bill
01-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Sorry, but the school has NOT gotten the patterns. As mentioned, the owner is looking for more than anyone is willing to spend.

ebb
01-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Herringbone should donate those patterns to the Association, taking a tax writeoff. It isn't as if someone is going to go into production and make a million dollars, $1000, $100, or even $10 dollars. The school was only going to go into the business of making the fittings. Which would be a cool process to learn - but unless they kept a complete stock A/C owners would be out of the loop if they wanted a specific fitting at a pretty specific time. There just aren't that many vessels, and you only need them every 40 years.

I'll put up a share for the good of the order!