PDA

View Full Version : GREAT LAKES SAILING

Theis
03-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Last year, when I pulled my puppy into the Palmer Johnson yard in Sturgeon Bay, WI, to get my gooseneck fixed (where they make the really big ones, power and sail) I was concerned that being a small boat owner, it would be pushed aside as too small to handle until we get time.

I was very flattered when the yard's rigger said, we have to take care of you right away, because you will do at least twice as much sailing as all these big guys (They were a former Pearson dealer, I might add). It must run in the blood

Where do you do your sailing? What port are you out of? It sounds like you are a GL sailor, and possibly in the Lake Michigan area. Do you belong to the Great Lakes Cruising Club?

Jim Wiles
03-20-2003, 06:21 PM
Theis,
Yes P.J.'s historically has been a great bunch people and craftsmen; back in the late 70's Racine P.J. 's was also. Had a really great broker there by the name of Dee Gunderson, she was a real character. She was just a secretary but all the guys would leave her holding the bag when they did the Port Huron and the Mac. She started selling boats that way and ended up selling more than the guys! She is sadly missed. P.J. has been under new ownership for about the last 5 yrs.
We sail on Lake Shelbyville, Shelbyville, Il. a Corps Of Engineers lake. Forty minutes from our house. Great sailing lake. We aren't members of the GLCC, probably should join. When we charter it is usually from Bay Breeze in Traverse City or Superior Charters at Bayfield, Wi. (Apostles). We get a kick doing the Traverse to Mac Island route especially when the Huron or the Mac boats are there. This past July we raced a number of the Port Huron boats back through the straits as they were heading to Chicago for the start of the Mac.
Great to chat, Jim

Theis
03-20-2003, 06:49 PM
That stretch from Traverse to Mac is one of the toughest on the Lakes. I'll bet that 80% of the time I have wound up in a battle of some sort. The weather is totally unpredictable from the time you leave from Charlevoix to Mac (or from Beaver to Mac).

Why don't you head over to Green Bay this summer and we could take a couple legs together? My email is theis@owc.net. I would have suggested meeting in the Manitous (which I love) but I was there last year and got pretty well beaten up.

Jim Wiles
03-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Theis,
That is a really tough stretch and as you say you never know about the weather. Two years ago in that area the Coast Guard called us to help look for a helicopter that had gone down....didn't see a thing. Last year we got into a pretty good storm on Beaver Is., luckily we were already tied up, the island lost all power including nav aids. We talked to some pretty shook up skippers that night after they finally got in. The following morning we had our work cut out for us....... 10 - 12 foot seas! Two 35 foot cruisers callled the CG for assistance.
Luckily when I'm up in that area I'm on a bit larger boat, plus the radar is great. Two years ago we got socked in by fog , shot our radar approach to pass under the Mac bridge, and believe it or not , we never did see the actual bridge, but I did hear riveters above us working on the bridge! I do want to bring Mon 'Ke Ne back up there when we have a summer with plenty of time.
Jim

Theis
03-22-2003, 06:22 AM
Jim:

I had not heard that story about Beaver Island. Could that be the same storm that slammed me. It was about the end of July, first day or so of August. There were two storms, one on Tuesday night and the second on Thursday morning.

Jim Wiles
03-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Theis,
I think the storm at Beaver was July 18, 02, at least the one I was in. It really kicked up the lakes for the rest of the time that we were there.
Jim

SailorLiz
04-01-2003, 08:55 AM
Just spoke with Karen at Ft. Drummond Marina on Drummond Island, MI. Water is so low that at their floating docks, it is only 12 inches. Ice is all the way to the bottom. They are dredging as I type.:eek:

Jim Wiles
04-01-2003, 08:32 PM
SailorLiz,
Hi Liz from Jim on Ariel 391 in central Illinois. I do want to stay in touch with you since in 2004 myself and four other sailor friends will be chartering from Bay Breeze on Drummond. We charter every other year from Bay Breeze in Traverse. In 04 we want to do the North Channel. Linda and I have done Superior and the Apostles, and we really love it. In 04 we hope to shove off from Drummond to do the North C. possibly all the way to Bayfield. Will check with you in the future!
Jim

Bill
04-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Hey Jim (and others!),

Next time, please send Liz (or?) a direct E-mail or a "private message." Just click on the person's profile to find the links. Appreciate it.

Bill G
02-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Can You give me some general info on sailing at Shlebyville? I am new to sailing and am looking for a place to start. I have sailed at Carlyle, IL in small boats and have since moved from the area. I would like to get back into it and move up to a larger boat. What kind of facilities are there? Who would recommend that I talk to? Thanks