PDA

View Full Version : Bronze Replacement Portoles for My Commander

Robert Lemasters
02-27-2003, 02:39 PM
There is a need to replace the original portlights on my Commader (Sparkey #105) as they do leak and the glass is badly cracked. I purchased 5 old caste bronze portholes two for the starboard, two for the port side and one for the aft bulkhead of the cabin. Any thoughts aesthetic or otherwize? :confused:

commanderpete
02-28-2003, 08:11 AM
If you look at Alberg's line drawings for the Commander (pps. 149 a & b of the Manual), you can see a few scratches that may be an indication of a proposed forward facing port at the front of the cabin, similar to that on the Triton.

commanderpete
02-28-2003, 08:13 AM
I don't see how a port could be installed to fit the curvature of the cabin.

I think putting the 5th port anywhere else would look too strange.

Robert Lemasters
03-01-2003, 09:39 AM
The five cast bronze portholes that I will install are about 8" across. I had thought about placing one forward instead of aft; however, because of the angle of the cabin bulkhead forward it would be at an upward angle which would be ok. what I like about these old portholes is that they open and allow air in and have real glass. They are a little heavy 5lbs each. I'm taking Mike Goodwins advise on installation and placement. The Commander cabin is small in comparison to the Ariel and these small portlights would be an improvement over the original house camper designs that don't open. Besides I got a good deal on them on E-Bay, about $50 each for Crittendon and Wilcox #5 cast bronze portholes circa 1939 only one needed glass replacement-$80.