Mike Goodwin
01-25-2003, 04:41 PM
Lower Chesbay is FROZE !

Bill
01-25-2003, 06:01 PM
That doesn't happen often, does it?

Mike Goodwin
01-25-2003, 07:16 PM
About once in ten years seems to be the rule .
I remember 1992 , 1984 & 1976or7 as freeze years.

Dan Maliszewski
01-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Just so you left coast types don't feel too snug, here's a taste of a real winterscene I shot last Sunday at my marina. They are racing iceboats just a little south of me on the Navasink (for real) River. Some of those iceboats are over a hundred years old, restored and passed down to new generations. Some say they can go over twice the speed of the wind, and that should be pretty wild, as the Navasink is several miles long. The salt ice is over eight inches thick

Dan Maliszewski
01-27-2003, 02:27 PM
And Raritan Bay, at the Morgan Creek jetty...

Dan Maliszewski
01-27-2003, 02:30 PM
C'mon Pop! It's not really that cold! Can't we take the boat out? Please?

Mike Goodwin
01-27-2003, 05:12 PM
Dan,
Will you please retrieve you weather , it has no business this far south , failure to do so will be considered as extreme bad manners !

Theis
01-30-2003, 07:59 PM
So I went up to Lake Geneva, WI last weekend to see the Knights, Skeeters, A Boats and all the miscellaneous other ice boats. There is plenty of ice, and there were a good number of ice boats. But not many of them were out running - plenty of wind but too cold.

Went to see Lake Michigan last Thursday, and although the harbor was iced over, the Lake was not. The Lake was very rough with a vertically driven wind blown fog - I have never seen it like that. The fog/visible vapors were rising vertically, like a boiling pot of water. The air temp was probably 40 degrees F below the water temp. It was so cold (a wet wind chill) that even dressed up in longjohns and all, a couple minutes on the breakwater was about the limit on human tolerance.