PDA

View Full Version : Boat Store Monopoly

commanderpete
01-15-2003, 05:43 AM
It was just announced that West Marine has acquired all of the 62 Boat/US retail stores, which will continue to operate under the Boat/US name.

When I was a kid, there were 4 or 5 local independent chandleries in my area. They're all gone now, replaced by West Marine and Boat/US.

The closest independent store is now 10 miles away. It's called Karl Tank's. I get over there when I can. Old man Karl and his crew are knowledgeable and helpful. Quite a difference from the pimple-faced kids at West Marine.

Like everyone, I hate to pay the inflated prices for marine supplies and equiptment. I buy alot of stuff mail order. Still, you have to run to the store to buy one thing or another.

Lack of competition can't be a good thing.

Al Lorman
01-15-2003, 06:07 AM
Read it and weep:

BoatU.S. and West Marine Form Strategic Alliance: West Marine Acquires BoatU.S. Retail Equipment Operation
January 14, 2003

NEWS From BoatU.S.
Boat Owners Association of The United States
880 S. Pickett St., Alexandria, VA 22304
BoatU.S. News Room at www.BoatUS.com

EMBARGOED UNTIL 4:15 P.M. EST

BoatU.S. and West Marine Form Strategic Alliance:
West Marine Acquires BoatU.S. Retail Equipment Operation

BoatU.S., which has succeeded in building its ranks to a record 535,000 dues-paying members, has entered into a long term, strategic alliance with West Marine, the world’s largest boating supplier. Under the strategic alliance, West Marine will promote BoatU.S. membership and its consumer services while acquiring the BoatU.S. retail equipment operation, including its 62 marine centers, mail-order and wholesale components.

In announcing the new partnership, BoatU.S. Founder and Chairman Richard Schwartz said, “This strategic alliance with West Marine will accelerate BoatU.S. membership growth and will allow BoatU.S. to concentrate its resources on what we do best - marine insurance, BoatU.S. Magazine, government representation, consumer advocacy, towing, boat financing - and working to make the waterways safer and cleaner for recreational boaters throughout the United States.”

By early spring 2003, BoatU.S. members will benefit from this alliance as they will be able to accrue more frequent buyer points, more conveniently, at 320 West Marine and BoatU.S. stores from coast to coast, including all 258 West Marine as well as the 62 BoatU.S. retail locations and mail order service. Specifically, BoatU.S. members will get an increase in future rewards points on purchases, making it the most rewarding frequent buyer program in the industry.

West Marine CEO John Edmondson applauded the alliance with BoatU.S. saying, “West Marine shares BoatU.S.’ commitment to service and representation for boaters. By partnering with BoatU.S. to generate more members, we can contribute to the power of their work and that’s a big plus for the boating community.” West Marine intends to continue operating BoatU.S. Marine Centers under the BoatU.S. name.

BoatU.S. was launched in 1966 without retail marine centers. It contracted with employee-owned Boat America Corporation in 1977 to open its first retail marine center in order to deliver marine gear at discount prices to its members who frequently had to pay full retail at small chandleries. “The market for marine gear has changed markedly in the past two decades,” noted Schwartz. “Discount marine outlets are now readily available and West Marine, whose primary focus is the sale and merchandising of boating supplies, has proven its ability to deliver quality merchandise at competitive prices while sustaining an impressive growth rate of stores around the country. The time is right for us to partner with West Marine and to serve the boating public to the best of our respective abilities,” he added. For more information go to www.BoatUS.com/news/releases.

FAQ: The New Strategic Marketing Alliance Between
BoatU.S. and West Marine

Q. Why did BoatU.S. do this?

A. We are doing this because this partnership offers significant benefits to BoatU.S. Members. First, the partnership will result in more discounts, convenience and service for BoatU.S. Members. Members will earn more discount reward points than any other shoppers – 25% more than before this partnership with West Marine. And because the partnership results in a boating equipment store operation that is five times the size of the one provided by BoatU.S., you will soon be able to earn these points and redeem your certificates at more than 300 store locations – all 258 West Marine and 62 BoatU.S. stores. So, more points, more places to earn them, and more places to use them.

Secondly, and, just as importantly, this marketing alliance will allow us to reach more boat owners, resulting in more BoatU.S. Members, giving the Association a stronger voice in Congress and enabling us to accomplish more for recreational boaters.

BoatU.S. will continue to help boaters through government representation, consumer advocacy, marine insurance, towing, boat financing and marina discount programs. And we will concentrate on finding new programs of value for boat owners.

Q. What is the Reward Program now?

A. With the current Reward program, you earn 1 point for every dollar you spend. When you reach 250 points, you receive a $10 discount coupon good for future equipment purchases. With the new program, you’ll earn 25% more points. You’ll receive a $15.00 discount coupon when you spend $300 in either BoatU.S. and/or West Marine stores.

Q. What does this mean to me?

A. It means that your Membership just became more valuable than ever! As a BoatU.S. Member you will earn more reward points than any other shoppers – 25% more than before this partnership with West Marine. And when the transition is complete in early spring, you will be able to earn these points and redeem your certificates at all 258 West Marine and all 62 BoatU.S. store locations. So, more points, more places to earn them, more places to use them. And this is exclusively for BoatU.S. Members.

Q. What changes about my Membership?

A. It gets better! You will earn 25% more points when you shop for marine equipment. And when the transition is complete in early spring you will be able to earn and redeem reward points at all 258 West Marine stores as well as at all 62 BoatU.S. stores.

Q. How do I transfer current points?

A. In the near future, our computer systems will be combined and your points will be recognized in both BoatU.S. and West Marine Stores. So, we’ll make sure you get points for all of your purchases. Just remember to use your BoatU.S. Membership number for all your purchases.

Q. How can I check my Rewards point Balance?

A. As soon as we can combine our systems and the new program begins, probably mid-March, you will be able to check your balance online at boatus.com. Until the systems are combined, your BoatU.S. points will be at boatus.com and your West Marine points will be at westmarine.com. We’ll have an 800# for you as well…

Q. When will I get my next Reward certificate?

A. Your next certificate or two will be issued by BoatU.S. on our regular schedule - approximately Jan 15 and Feb. 15 You should start getting coupons from West Marine in March. But don’t worry! We’re working very closely together so you won’t miss a discount!

Q. Can I use them in either place?

A. Yes. Once the systems are combined, you will receive your certificates from West Marine. They will include points earned at both BoatU.S. and West Marine stores. You will be able to use your certificates at both BoatU.S. and West Marine stores. West Marine sends certificates twice each month. Just give us till around March or April for the systems to change over. Everything remains the same until then.

Q. When do I start earning Member Rewards at the higher level?

A. Right now! Effective immediately, your purchases at BoatU.S. Stores are earning Member Rewards points at the higher level.

Q. What Member number do I use at West? My BoatU.S. Membership number or my West Advantage number?

A. There will be a transition period, but once the systems are combined in another month or two, you will be able to use your BoatU.S. Membership number at West Marine, which will earn you 25% more points. Until then, use your West Advantage number at West Marine and your BoatU.S. number at BoatU.S. stores.

mrgnstrn
01-15-2003, 07:48 AM
One of the great advantages of having both companies was the increased selection of gear (brands, styles, etc).

now that they are one, who will sell what?

will they all start selling the WM stuff, or only B-US or pick and choose?

and (although this only applies to some of us), B-US had the *best* new owners program, selling everything at wholesale for a month (~20% off on avg) , whilst WM only gave you 10% off some and 5% off some for a month.

kind of sad....

guess i will have to start going to Fawcett's in Annapolis more often now.

-km #3

glissando
01-16-2003, 05:05 AM
Thank God for Hamilton Marine, our local Maine boat supply savior. I now only go to the local West if Hamiltons doesn't have what I need RIGHT THEN. This almost never happens. Hamilton has a much better stock than West. And much better prices.

It's worth requesting a catalog from Hamilton Marine, regardless of where you live. They ship quickly, and have everything. Prices are as good or better as anywhere online for most things. I have found that ordering from them online is extremely fast and efficient, too.

www.hamiltonmarine.com

I don't work for 'em, I just like 'em!

The best thing about West Marine is that their catalog is so complete, and in color, so you can better choose what to buy online from a different seller with a better price. At least it's a good research tool!

Tim

Mike Goodwin
01-16-2003, 05:55 AM
I like Defender , I bet Pete has used them a time or two .

Bill
01-16-2003, 08:02 AM
I too, like Defender.

This is pretty frustrating. BoatUS just opened a retail store about two blocks from West's Oakland, CA store. As pointed out by others, the BoatUS prices were often lower on the same item and they carried some mfg's not carried by West.

Defender purchases mean more planning ahead (as opposed to planning behind).

commanderpete
01-16-2003, 09:45 AM
I've had no problems with Defender, Sailnet and Jamestown.

For fiberglass work, my favorite place to shop is the local "Dollar Stores." All sorts of useful stuff there. Large aluminum roasting pans for wetting out the cloth, plastic mix tubs, plastic knives for stirring, graduated containers, cheap paint brushes, putty knives, scissors, measuring tapes, work gloves, etc.

It all gets goopy and the whole sticky mess gets tossed in a trash bag at the end of the day.

Al Lorman
01-21-2003, 06:01 AM
I checked my boat this weekend and on the way there stopped at the West Marine for a few small items. It was, as you might expect in Maryland when the temp is about 30, empty. So the manager and I chatted about their acquisition of the BoatUS stores. He said that what he has noticed ever since he joined West Marine is the consistent increase in prices. I guess the merger will be good for FedEx and UPS.

French
01-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Happy New year everyone!

I was just in BoatUS (Oakland) this weekend. I stopped by there ready to buy a new sink faucet/unit for Kuan Yin. I went there because the prices were a couple of dollars cheaper than W.M.

The guy I spoke with was VERY helpful. It talk me out of buying a plastic replacement unit and made some suggestions on where to get a gasket/seal to fix the leak, since they had no repear kits. He said it is a shame to replace a high quality unit with a piece of cheap plastic, they do not make them like this anymore. Then he went to the computer and tried to find some resorces for me, including the Pearson New Website. He also suggested I check with the people on the Ariel website!!! :-) He was the most helpful sales person I have come across. Made the kids at W.M. look pitiful!

Afterward I wanted some info on a GPS unit. I told him I was not ready to buy just yet but wanted some info. He gave me the full run down on all the portable units... wow !

This guy also raved about how well built and seaworthy Pearsons are , they can take so much more than the new light weight boats. And gave me some info about calling ship to ship...

I decided then to join and do business with BoatUS. I came home looking for my discount coupons from the Boat safety course and found out about the merger, when checking a price on Ebay with the catalog. surprise , surprise.

Here at the Martinez Marina, we have a store called Eagle Marine.
I went in a couple of times. Not a large amount of items and unhelpful staff! :-(
sad...

Now while on speaking of faucets. Any crurser- folks out there know about a replacement seal for the faucet? The pump is fine, but the faucet leaks around the plastic seal at the pump staff on top of the sink. I'm guessing the racer-folks just dump theirs to save the little weight...

ebb
03-20-2003, 08:26 AM
Just read again your replys in this thread. Great! The BoatUS & WestMarine merger has really upset me. (Just got the March BoatUS) Whatever happened to antitrust laws?

Hell, I'm never going to shop there again. Yeah, sure! It's a good point that there are still knowledgeable guys working in these outlets who even own a boat. (I always look for M. at WM in Sausilito who's been there befor WM sucked up Anchorage.)

Many chandleries must be struggling to keep afloat. We have a few here who offer services like rigging and metalwork along with the plastic toys.

However, I'm going to make every effort from now on to stay away from the convenience stores and take my custom to the independants - even if I have to pay a bit more and go out of my way.

I do use the catalogs. There are more out there. There are supply houses who are commercial and don't mail out catalogs. It takes more time, but they are businesses rather than empires.

Perhaps somebody could put a list together here with numbers and their specialities. Maybe rate them? I don't know.....

But I'm boycotting West Boat MarineUS.

Bill
03-20-2003, 09:13 AM
And to think it all began as West Coast Ropes . . .

Mike Goodwin
03-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Ebb,
If they enforced antitrust laws rigidly , they wouldn't allow lawyers to be politicians .

Bill
03-20-2003, 11:05 AM
Ok, no lawyer jokes . . .:p