PDA

View Full Version : A-228 - GEOFF's AUSSIE PHOTO GALLERY

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:11 PM
We introduced Geoff Fyldes in the winter newsletter. He lives near Brisbane, Australia and owns an Ariel - #228 UHURU. Geoff was not responsible for getting the boat to Australia, but as its third Aussie owner, he's making some major upgrades. As with Ebb and his upgrades, we've agreed to post Geoff's photos with his comments.

We begin with photo #1, a shot of the UHURU's stern as she sits on the hard. Geoff comments: "A before shot with canvas dodger, which I never folded down (well, only once, but never again). So I decided to build a permanent dodger along similar lines."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:14 PM
Photo #2 shows Geoff hard at work on UHURU

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:15 PM
Photo #3 shows the transom after realignment. Geoff comments: "Transom faired. A fair bit of bog in the middle, did our best with car jacks and wedges. Starboard quarter was 2 inches lower than portside, but not now."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Photo #4 is the lazarette. Geoff notes: "Huge block glassed in to take backstay chainplate, bolt holes evident. Fore and aft bulkhead glassed in place. Divides a huge locker into two and strengthens the transom. It won?t move now."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Photo #5 is a view of the hard dodger looking aft from the bow. "Garage for companionway hatch under construction. Opening ports will be installed as windows looking forward in the doghouse. Non-opening windows in the sides."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:17 PM
Photo #6 is the hard dodger from the stern. "Inside doghouse, laminated beams will become a feature. I intend to build a dashboard the full width of the doghouse and the forward end and mount all instruments there, compass on centerline."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:18 PM
Photo #7 is outside view of chain locker. "Panel will be screwed on to act as inspection port."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:19 PM
Photo #8 is view of head. "The toilet is actually under the bed. It will have a lifting top. The space under the toilet is glassed, two layers cloth and totally water proof. When the law dictates that we have to collect our waste for disposal ashore, it will become a holding tank. But for now, it will be for the pump house and house a water pump supplying fresh water to the galley and cockpit handheld shower."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Photo #9 another view of head. "You can just see the outlet on the starboard water tank. The plumbing for the toilet will come throught he panel behind the toilet. It?s a push button job, no hand pumps."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:21 PM
Photo #10 shows the top of the starboard water tank. "There used to be a vanity unit there."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:21 PM
Photo #11 shows the top of the port water tank. "The toilet used to be here."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:22 PM
Photo #12 /13 (similar, only 13 posted) views the portside sink. "Sink with fridge under. Sink drain elbow is pointing the wrong way. It will go directly forward to the main bulkhead, then down the main bulkhead on an angle to exit the hull just below the waterline. The whole drain will be encased in the fridge insulation. There will be a seacock at the sink end, doing away with the need for a sink plug. It would have to be turned off when hard pressed on a starboard tack to stop water climbing up into the sink."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:23 PM
Photo #14 is of the portside bunk. "Notice I have cut a section of the bulkhead out and shifted ti aft. What was once cockpit locker is now saloon space. When I installed the galley, the saloon settee berths were a bit short, so I fixed it. The shelves along the hull form six lockers each side. The seat back is being made by a shipwright. Each locker will have its own door with a brass ring catch, done in Tasmanian oak with teak trim. No back squab, just a few cushions."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:23 PM
Photo #15 is of the stove. Gimbaled gas cooker, 2-burner gas with oven. "I don't know where the gas bottles are going yet, up on deck somewhere, I suppose."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:24 PM
Photo #16 looking aft on portside.

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:25 PM
Photo #17 is looking aft at the fuel tank located below the cabin sole. "Fuel tank is Diesel, of course. Two athwart ship full baffles in the tank. Fuel quality inspection hatch visible. Engine beds aft of that and the two pipew coming from the cockpit floor are the forward cockpit drains."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:25 PM
Photo #18 looking directly down at the fuel tank. "Filler for fuel is 50 mm (2-inch). It will be lead up to the starboard side deck. A breather will branch off to the cockpit. The tape at the bottom is protecting two brass taps. One is a drain and the other is fuel supply."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:26 PM
Photo #19 looking aft under cockpit floor. "Engin beds are angle iron pieces that bolt onto the uprights."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:26 PM
Photo #20 under cockpit. "Details of construction of foot space, everything glassed. All angles covered and double taped."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:27 PM
Photo #21 under cockpit. "Way back under the cockpit. I put in rear cockpit drains. You are looking at the porside drain. The pipe is the rudder post."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:27 PM
Geoff next summarizes his feelings on the project. Be aware that he wrote this at 11:00 AM on a day where the temperature was already 100 degrees F!

"Well, I hope that lot (of photos) interests the Association. I have really taken to the boat with a vengeance. After living on board for awhile, I knew what had to go where. I am not a builder, I get nothing out of the work but tired and itchy. I treat it like a job I hate, and I will be glad when it?s finished. I will never tackle another boat, and when I launch UHURU, I want to throw all my power tools into the harbour, hopefully never to need them again. I?m really just a yachtie bum with a sick boat. I?m looking forward to palm trees, islands and sand between my toes."

Bill
01-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Edited the text accompaning the photos. Now, question marks in the text that should have been quote marks or apostrophes are now quote marks or apostrophes. :)

BTW - Geoff is somewhat computer challenged (using a friend's). Posted questions will be snail mailed at regular intervals to him, if he does not respond to them in a reasonable length of time.

commanderpete
01-14-2003, 06:57 AM
Good on ya, mate.

Tony G
01-14-2003, 07:38 PM
Is it just me, or did anyone else notice the wonderful grain of the plywood Geoff glassed in under the cockpit in photos #19 and #20? Is that sub-sole fuel tank glass coated wood? 'kinda looks like it-I didn't know you could do that. I like the hard dodger idea too-it gives it that live aboard look. Geoff's got my support!

ebb
01-16-2003, 08:45 AM
Great to have these shots of Geoff's Ariel rebuild way on the other side of the world!

In the first photo,
Can we see the slump of the stern on the starboard side? The toe and cove stripe seem to dip. Couldn't have come from the factory that way...naw! must have been a previous owner's contribution and a goofed fix. Great that Capt. Geoff put the pizazz back.

#9 Moving the head aft to the main blkhd and lifting the deck it sits on to create space for a holding tank is a great idea.

#13 Looks like G. gained some height off the waterline by mounting the shallow sink amidships. Raises that pesky drain. For offshore that seacock is right there. Smart.

#14 & 16 Much important hull stiffening is created with the seatback shelf/lockers. (The blkhd in 338 is pretty much a joke the way it was put in. Nowadays when they put the lid on a boat all the finished bulkheads are in place. But I swear at the P's factory only the back laz blkhd was in befor they closed it up - then they sweated the rest down the companionway in pieces and crudely bent and pissedoff them in place - sort of. The bridgedeck in 338 is really unsupported. We'll take care of that as G. has. The plywood IS tabbed to the hull providing stiffness and anti-twist.) Geoff's refit here is righton. I'm inspired.

#17 Very interesting use of this space. The baffles in the tank and the tank ends create the 'transitional' stiffening (I think is important) between the abrupt termination of the ballast and the longitudenal plywood berth tabbing. Excellent upgrade for a cruiser. Wonder how many gallons he got? Seems like the perfect place for the tank of a diesel. Glad 338 is an OB, tho.

#19 Looks like the original NOseacock well drains. Can't tell if they're hose under the wrap. However, I'd glass them bigtime right to the engine room walls there.

#21 Geoff's aft cockpit straight thru drains get my vote. Treat them just like the rudder-shaft tube. If anybody else is looking back here in the Ariels, I can guess the stalagmite part is in pretty good shape. But take a look at the upper end where goes thru the well deck - 338 needs reinforcement here. Again, I would throw a lot of Xmat and epoxy at these straight-thru drains so that nothing flying around loose is going to open them up! After the motor is in only a ferret will get access back there. Maybe a small hatch in the c'pit deck in front of the rudder tube is called for. Like Tim has in his T-381.

Ariel is so small, it's like putting on an overcoat - that has some extra pockets. It's a treat looking into Geoff's rebuild. It's a real personal striving/somewhat frustrating relationship you have when you get into this sort of thing. And all what you want is the tiller under your arm and all what you need is warm sand between yer toes. It's an absolute. All the best to Uhuru voyager and her crew.

Tony G
01-25-2003, 07:43 AM
It looks like Geoff is one of the fortunate Ariel owners to be in that six foot and over class. Being he has removed the sole in the cabin I wonder if he has made plans to squeeze in another inch or inch and a half of head room. Here the musings continue as to which is the lesser of two evils, twisted neck or buckled knees:p Snail mail or electronically fast I'd like to hear his twist.

ebb
01-25-2003, 10:07 PM
When I first saw Jacques Tati, the tall French comedian (mime and film maker) in Mr Hulot's Holiday, I nearly gagged from laughing too hard. And my head really hurt, too. Besides bumbling around uncounciously causing hilarious chain reactions, Hulot when he moved into a room always got to a wall or piece of furniture in mid-stride as if the architecture had just shrank.

Don't know if Geoff is 'over 6 feet' like I, but nothing in the Ariel ever fit me either, not the setees, berths, narrow companionway and too short, head-banging in the cabin, or when the boat was rigged the boom seemed way too low, the tiller banged my knees, the lower shrouds almost took my ears off. Nothing. One day when I'm down there obsessing arouind I expect to break into an unadulterated fit of wet-eyed laughter and I will truly know just what the hell I'm supposed to be doing in this half pint swedish comedy. Just keep banging my head and smiling.

Janice Collins
01-26-2003, 05:19 AM
Tom was 6'1" and lived aboard Wayward Star for 15 years.
He too bumped his head and smiled all the while, well....MOST of the time anyways.
We used to joke about the roadmap of scars on his head. He toyed with the idea of wearing a helmit.

The funniest episode I can remember was when Tom was frying something on the stove and hot oil splattered onto him causing him to jump up, hit his head so hard he fell back onto the cushion and sat onto the plate of potatoes, which caused him to jump back up, and hit his head again, stepped back and into the cat food, knocking over the cats water in the process.
Well, a good laugh was had by all...

What's the history of your Ariel, Geoff? Do we have the story of how she wound up there?

Bill
01-26-2003, 09:38 AM
Geoff's story is under contract to be delivered in time for the next Association newsletter :cool: (June/July)

Bill
02-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Here are some notes from Geoff:

I am really busy at the moment, like a lizard drinking flat out. I have some time off at the moment because of cyclone Benni. It came tearing towards our stretch of coast last Tuesday afternoon, caused a welter of activity in the boatyard, moving loose gear, tying boats down, etc., etc. I high tailed out of there mid afternoon. It was blowing a hoolligan, with horrizontal rain. I got back to Rockhampton just hours before the roads were cut by flood water. It was like being in a Lassie movie. (Hey Toto, this isn't Gladstone.)

I had just cut the holes for the new opeining portlights in the forward cabin, fitted one, but the screws were too long and I couldn't dog it down. I had to hurriedly tape up the gaps, the portside just has a hole with a plastic shopping bag taped over it. I will probably have to bail her out when I get back. It's still raining on and off, very damp and humid at the moment -- 81 degrees F. with 72% humidity.

The cyclone is now a rain depression and should break up over the next few days, then it will be back to my baby. (Might even work on the boat, too.)

Bill
02-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Tony G,

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Tony. The sub-sole fuel tank is indeed constructed of plywood with two layers of 3/4 oz matt and at least two coats of resin applied over the lot, sanding between coats. I didn't know you could do that either, but the word is, it works if you give the epoxy about 12 weeks to cure. Same with the water tanks. If you fill the tanks before the full cure, the water will be tainted with epoxy taste, but that clears after awhile.

All exposed plywood below decks will be veneered in Tasmanian oak, trimmed with teak and varnished. Some plywood with a decent grain, e.g. underside of doghouse roof, will be epoxied and then varnished.

As far as headroom goes, I didn't place much importance on it. I go below to sleep, eat & poo, all sit down jobs. I spend (or used to spend) most of my time in the cockpit, or the beer garden. My height is or was 5' 10-3/4", since I broke my legs, I am 5' 9-1/2" on my right leg and 5' 10-34" on my left leg. It seems the boat is always listing to port or starboard depending on whether I'm facing forward or aft :)

Bill
02-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Ebb,

G'day Ebb, yes you can see the slump, starboard side at the stern. It don't slump now, and will never even twitch again. I called her the sick sadistic twisted *****, for awhile, buy only in private :)

I don't know about moving the head aft, I just moved it about 3 feet from portside and a quarter turn to face aft and there it is. The main bulkhead to me is the bulkhead beteen the saloon and forward cabin. It supports the mast. (Well, it does now since I fixed it.)

Thanks for your comments Ebb, I didn't know I was capable of inspiring anyone. I'm just a babe-in-the-woods when it comes to boat building, or any other building for that matter. I did take a carpenter course a few years ago. Signed up to make kitchen cupboards, etc. The teacher said my project was a little ambitious for a first try, so I made a table tennis bat (ping pong paddle - ha).

The cockpit drains are constructed from thick wall plumber pipe and glassed over. Since your comments, I will put another couple of layers of matt over them.

I don't like the idea of a hatch in the cockpit floor. I dont' see what could fly around in there. There will only be the engine and starter battery, both well secured.

I like the idea of a diesel below decks. I have been sitting in UHURU's cockpit up to the chest in white water. I don't know if an outboard would have kept going, and if the engine had stopped, if I would be here to tell the tale. Mind you, I believe she crossed the Pacific with an outboard, and the diesel was fitted in OZ.

About my aft cockpit drains, you say "treat it like the rudder tube." How the hell do you treat the rudder tube?

Reading that last bit, it sounds like a stupid question. Hi Ebb, I'm Pommy Geoff - :)

Bill
02-18-2003, 07:24 PM
There are a couple of photographs to post, as soon as they are scanned. Soon.;)

Bill
02-19-2003, 02:11 PM
Geoff was asked about all the fires raging in Australia.

"The fires are way to the south, NSW (New South Wales) and ACT(?). The whole of NSW is drought declared. As is most of Qld (Queensland). Since this cyclone, the situation has eased, but by no means solved our problems. We've lost our whole population of frogs. They were 2-1/2 years old and couldn't swim. Never seen water in their lives, all gone." :D

ebb
02-19-2003, 03:03 PM
Brisbane known for its white water, Goeff? One of these days me and 338 be down to git some!
338's rudder tube is impressively molded into a cone shape where it charges thru the hull, that's a treat. Where it goes thru into the cockpit, that's an unfinished story. I'm about to add some cone shape to it of mishmash and x-mat. You may have thru hulls for your aft cockpit drains - 338 gets 2 1/2" glass tubes directly glassed in, like the rudder tube - hence the elaborate conical build up especially at the underwater entrances. This won't be a whimpy installation.

In the beginning, the cockpit being a floater, I worried about that tube goiing thru the deck - now the whole cockpit is welded to the bulkheads it floated between. It will be further immobilized with the two forenaft bulkheads between the bottom and the hull. Looks like Uhuru has the same.

I've also laminated a transvers beam and glued it in under the bridge deck against the bulkhead. After taking the icebox out I cut a similar hole in the port side for access to the under cockpit area. Somebody is going to remind us how important this bulkhead is, if not yours truly.
At least on the port side where I think a mini quarter berth is cool there will be a fat rib going down the hull, incorporated into the berth and continuing down into the keel. (This is a lot of unsupported 'flat' laminate down here I'm unhappy with.) Probably add a couple layers of x-mat - but keep the space essentially hollow for bilge water capacity.

At the moment it looks like the port lazarette on 338 will remain cockpit accessible. It looks like Geoff's outside stowage is the way aft laz.

[I've ordered a 'watertight' Anchor Hatch for the cockpit well deck and will mount the batteries in an open topped tray down under where the BETA shouldda been. Had a tuff email exchange with the Hatch salesperson when I asked him just how waterproof watertight was.
"All commercial boats have bildge pumps in all areas under decks...
..."you will have a leak ..if a small rock or a grain of sand or a fish scale gets lodged between the gasket and the frame." Being a dumass pleasure boater I better put in a pump and sweep up the rocks. Just kidding! They have a flush hatch that fits the floor and will custom fit 3 grp 27s for unimpeded straight up lift out. Englund Marine Supply.

Does anybody know why I need three AGMs?]

:(

Bill
02-23-2003, 07:31 PM
And now, we have a photo of our Aussie member. This was taken (according to the note on the back) at an Xmas party.:)

Bill
02-23-2003, 07:33 PM
And of course, here is another photo of Geoff's boat. Different angle, this time.

Bill
02-23-2003, 07:37 PM
And here's the stove Geoff installed.

Bill
10-10-2003, 01:12 PM
After a bit of a delay, Geoff writes:

I have been too busy lately. I bought a 22 seater bus at Easter, took the seats out and put a "fit out" in it. She's a beaut, 92 Toyota Coaster long wheelbase, 6 cylinder diesel motor, fully air conditioned, headroom and comfort!

At the moment I am parked in Bayfield Forest, just north of Yeppoon. Had a swim in the creek, sat around the campfire. No phone signal, no radio, no power. It's been bliss for a few days.

Heading back to civilisation and the bloody boat yard tomorrow (or not HA!). I'm working on my own on the boat now, can't get anyone to take it on. One bloke "spat the dummy" and went home after 2 days. The next bloke worked well for 3 days, but I couldn't get him started on the 4th day. I wasn't any better myself, so we both went home. HA!

At the moment, my jobs are to put fillets of epoxy bog around all the staunchion pads under the side decks inside, sand smooth and paint. Cut about 200 bolts off because they are too long. I'm painting the cockpit lockers, battery shelves have been built to take 200 amp hour batteries - one port, one starboard, lazarette needs painting as does under the cockpit. I still have to put a shelf in for the engine starter battery, and build a dashboard accross the doghouse above the companionway hatch to house the compass on the centreline, engine dials and controls to port, depth sounder, log and GPS to starboard. Install the engine and rudder, wire her up, do the plumbing and go sailing -- NO WORRIES ME OLD COBBER.

Honestly, I reckon it's the hardest and most frustrating task I've ever set myself. But, the little darling is worth it, she's a hell of a boat.

[Second installment coming tomorrow]

Bill
10-10-2003, 07:04 PM
"UHURU" is progressing well, albeit very slowly. I've put new windows
in the saloon. Planned to use the existing frames, but on removal they
were rotted and cracked and literally fell apart. So, I filled the gap
in the cabinside with epoxy glue and reinforced the edge with 2-inch
tape all around - two layers inside and out. Then bolted 10mm (just
less than 1/2") perspex (a clear plastic). I used the same method for
the side windows on the doghouse, using 6mm perspex. I don't think it
looks real "flash," but it was comparatively cheap when compared with
new frames and toughened glass. I used a sunlight UV resistant bedding
compound and it is neat but not flash, but super strong.

Bill
10-10-2003, 07:05 PM
The insulation for the fridge is glassed in place and work has started
on the rails and stanchions. The pushpit will extend around to the
doghouse. It will be possible to have a firm grip on a handrail on top
of the doghouse with one hand, and a grip on a solid rail with the
other. I've had some interesting moments getting back to the cockpit
after reefing, or escaping from an unfriendly anchorage, with just a
wobbly pram hood and a thin wire for the cockpit. She will also have a
targa bar, supporting antennaes and solar panels - two 50 watt'ers.

Bill
07-24-2004, 09:02 PM
It's been about ten months since we've had something to post from Geoff. It appears that his mail was going a bit astray:rolleyes:

Let's begin with the mast. Geoff has added a few steps . . .

Bill
07-24-2004, 09:06 PM
Here are the windows. Geoff writes:

"The original window frames fell apart so I just bolted 10 mm plastic directly to the cabin sides on a bed of UV resistant silicone - easy and cheap. The plastic conformed to the strengthened cabinsides as the bolts were tightened. I actually tightened the bolts too much and squeezed too much bedding compound out. Shouldn't leak. Just looks a bit odd. It's a black compound and you can see the white paint through it in the thin spots. Not the pure black border I wanted."

Bill
07-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Here's a view of the hard dodger from the bow with it's new white paint.

Bill
07-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Other direction toward the bow pulpit. Note how far the rails extend aft.

Bill
07-24-2004, 09:14 PM
View of the dodger from aft. Note how far the rails extend forward from the stern rail. (No ID on the occupant :confused: )

Bill
07-24-2004, 09:15 PM
Not sure if this is a sea hood for the maincabin hatch cover or to give Geoff more headroom below:p

Bill
07-24-2004, 09:16 PM
The quarterbirth storage lockers are in place.

Bill
07-24-2004, 09:17 PM
Here are the lockers with one open . .

Bill
07-24-2004, 09:18 PM
This appears to be the new ice box / refrigerator located below the galley sink.

Bill
07-24-2004, 09:23 PM
All questions and comments will be downloaded and sent to Geoff for him to read and/or answer.

July is mid winter down under, so Geoff should be able to move foward on his projects. The summer's are much too hot and humid for him to work on the boat. We should therefore be getting more updates in the near future.

Tony G
08-04-2004, 07:07 AM
Geoff,

Good to hear from you again. How was summer on the bus? With the new round of photos thoughly digested I've got more questions for you.

1. I can't tell from the pics, did you paint the spreader bases along with the mast. If so, does there need to be some sealant between the two pieces when they go back together? What was your paint of choice for the mast? It looks like it was sprayed on, HVLP?

2. Mast step!! Wow, how'd I miss that the first couuple of times. What is it made of? Did you shave anything off of the mast to accomodate it or stretch the shrouds and stays? What about the four big eye-bolt looking 'jobbies'? How did you come to realization/desicion that arrangement would work best(assuming they are for mast base blocks)?

3. This board discussed headsail furlers awhile back. I've noticed the rather industrial furler on UHURU. What is it? How do you like it?

4. I'm very interested in your seahood and dodger. How did you arrive at the shape for your seahood? Was it laid over a mold/in a mold? Solid fiberglass or glass and wood? What are the dimentions inside the dodger(height and width)? Is your gooseneck fixed or sliding and what is your boom height off of the cabin top?

5. Is that a macerating head peeking through?

She looks great, Geoff. Beautiful stainless work. It appears that you're planning to saill in the worst sea conditions in the world. That's okay by me.
I noticed the yard looks to be full of boats yet the weather looks most inviting. Is it just normal to pull the boat in winter? I'm ready to move there!

Hey, best wishes and can't wait for an update. Tony G

Bill
08-26-2004, 07:27 PM
G' Day Tony G,

Summer in the bus was far too hot and humid to work, I spent four months doing absolutely nothing too strenuous. I entertained three lots of overseas visitors, two lots of "Pom’s" and a mob of Yanks. Sort of an enforced holiday. Then I had to have a holiday to get over the holiday, so I went bush, Byfield Forest, for a couple of weeks, no worries about sharks, the croc’s ate them all!

Then it was bac to the blood boat yeard -- Mate, I didn’t paint the mast at all. Looked OK. Bits of corrosion here and thee and it had a red tip which was peeling, so I slapped a bit more red on. I have a question for you – what the hell is H.V.L.P? Looks like a mispelt cry for assistance.

Mast step is a veneered wooden block with a hole in it to accommodate the mast. A crane pulled the mast out and all was found to be dusty and solid. I found a dime under there and replaced it with a millennium gold medallion. The dime now resides in the maroon velvet bag the medallion came in.

The eye bolts go clean through the deck. Handy tie down points, just wish they were stainless.

Everything was as is when I got the boat. I just pulled it all apart to see if it was "stuffed."

The furler is functional rather than pretty. It too came with the boat. They were being turned out by some yachtie in Arlie Beach -- heavy duty aluminum drum -- nothing fancy, works OK and I like it . . .no, I really like it. Oh, OK! I wouldn't live without it.

The doghouse (seahood & dodger) -- Very scientific that job -- a bit higher and a bit wider than the old canvas pram hood. I made two sides first out of scrap ply. Matched the angles with the cabin front and stuck ‘em on with lots of "seahold" and straps. Laminated some beams. Stuck them on. Made the front panels, made the garage for the companionway hatch and stuck a roof on it. Turned out surprisingly well. Not bad at all for a mug amateur. Wouldn’t do to run a tape measure over it, Mate. I just had to be able to lean on it. Then my mate Gwult (?) fiber glassed the bloody lot and the shipwright painted it.

I do have a sliding gooseneck and I don't know the height of the boom off the cabin top off hand.

Correct on the head. It's a one push button macerating head.

Thanks Tony, I reckon she looks great too. The Stainless is rather good, isn't it. It's full of sticky fingerprints, etc., now tho'.

I’m not planning any epic voyage mate, my main driving force is protection from the elements. I will be living on board a lot of the time. I’ve lived on board for 2-1/2 years or so in the past and I know what wuld make life more pleasant.

The blood boat yard is going through a bit of a change (as they do). It's more of a boat park now. People ring the yard and their boat is in the water when they get here. He's packing them in like sardines, I can’t even walk round my boat at the moment. Like I said, "Bloody Boat Yard."

There isn't an off season here mate. Winter is the pick in the tropics, just bloody perfect at the moment. I may be able to launch soon. Just in time for the cyclone season. Still great sailing weather, but a lot of exciting bits.

Hope I satisfied your curiosity. All the best to you too mate,

Geoff

PS - more photos soon . . .

Bill
08-30-2004, 09:19 AM
We'll start with where we left off -- at the sink/ice box. Here is another view of it.

Bill
08-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Another view of it.

Bill
08-30-2004, 09:21 AM
And then the regrigerator itself with ice cube maker . . . Geoff notes: Fridge installed, doesn't look much, does it? It certainly didn't blow my kilt up when I saw it, puny bloody thing. BUT, it's the only one I found that would fit where it had to fit. How the hell do I keep my little ice cube trays in on a prot tack???

My sink drain idea: close the tap, fill the sink, open tap, empy sink. No plug to loose. Close the tap to stop the sea filling the sink on a starboard tack. The drain pipe runs through the insulation straight out through the hull, so the sink drain tap is in effect, a seacock.

The door on the fridge won't fit yet. The fridge isn't exactly square, so the door will have to be a bit . . (of a trapezoid). A blind man on a galloping horse on a stormy night would never notice it :D I bet it keeps the cold in, tho.

Bill
08-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Let's try another photo. Here's the forecabin

Bill
08-30-2004, 09:29 AM
Forecabin with hatch covers in place . . .

Bill
08-30-2004, 09:32 AM
This photo is . . :confused:

Bill
08-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Sturdy chainplates.

Bill
08-30-2004, 09:34 AM
The aft chainplate is really cool :cool:

Bill
08-30-2004, 09:36 AM
And inside, it's well supported :)

Bill
08-30-2004, 09:38 AM
View of starboard aft quarter . .

Bill
08-30-2004, 09:43 AM
Geoff writes: No non skid yet, soon tho. We have ground the decks back to square one -- 40 years of deck paint, or so it looked like. We exposed old plywood patches, but on the whole it was quite solid. We are in the process of bogging the whole deck now, filling in cracks & holes, etc. Once that is faired off, we will apply about four coats of epoxy high build and the non-skid on top of that. VOILAH!

Bill
08-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Geoff continues; You can see the bog up the side deck.

Bill
08-30-2004, 09:47 AM
Here's Geoff putting in a hard day's work . . .

Bill
08-30-2004, 09:48 AM
The ifamous camper . . . :eek:

Bill
08-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Here's a photo to warm the hearts of all Ariel-Commander Yacht Association members :)

Bill
08-30-2004, 10:01 AM
AUSSIE SUNSET

Bill
11-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Here is documentation that Uhuru was originally from California. The sticker expired in 1987. Back then, they were good for a year, so it would be pretty accurate to say the boat sailed from California about 1986 or '87. As soon as they can be edited, we will post Geoff's latest photo record of his progress.

Bill
12-01-2004, 10:25 AM
We all know the feeling . . .

Bill
12-04-2004, 09:28 AM
UHURU's original owner writes:

>>>>>>
Hi Ron,

You have this guy with a photo gallery, under GEOFF's AUSSIE PHOTO GALLERY.
He thinks it was sailed from California. Would you please pass this email onto him and tell him it indeed was...by me. I was 29 at the time and I took off from Ventura CA and spent about four years in the South Pacific doing the "Coconut Run." I sold UHURU in Brisbane, Australia.

I have LOTS of South Pacific photos of Uhuru. Mind you, I see some extensive cabin top modifications done. I beefed up Uhuru, but she was pretty much original.

>>>>>

to learn more go to: http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?p=7767&posted=1#post7767

Bill
12-18-2004, 10:44 PM
Here is a close up photo of UHURU's builder's plate. Just to verify the hull number.

Bill
12-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Geoff is adding a cockpit shower . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Seems Geoff left the bottom 'till almost last . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Now all that stuff is being ground off . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 10:51 PM
The cleaning and painting sure has paid off . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Here's a full view of UHURU in the yard . . . before bottom job completed.

Bill
12-18-2004, 10:55 PM
The new raised head . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 10:56 PM
New galley area on port side . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 10:57 PM
Here's a view of the sink . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Hatch cover on sink open . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 10:59 PM
Ice box door open (below sink)

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Chain locker hatch closed

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Chain locker hatch open . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Layup for "dash board" under hard dodger . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:04 PM
Completed "dash board" . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Here is where the engine will reside . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:06 PM
Here is the engine residing . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Another view of engine

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:08 PM
Layup of engine bay cover

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:09 PM
Engine bay cover complete

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:10 PM
Engine bay cover in place . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Here's the cabin sole . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Here's the cover plate over the fuel access . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:13 PM
Here's the plate removed

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:15 PM
Here's the new rudder assembly . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:16 PM
And here it is hung. . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Not sure, but this photo could be the start of a bow sprit . . .

Bill
12-18-2004, 11:21 PM
That's all folks for this session. With it being summer down under, we expect progress on UHURU to slow a bit until the weather cools.

Tony G
12-19-2004, 07:50 AM
Geoff,

That noise you heard was my jaw hitting the floor. Outstanding! You've done an incredible job fitting the most into such a small boat. Where does one start?

In post #77 it looks like a chain locker drain just above the boot stripe on the starboard side. If it is, how about a brief description of the 'inner workings' behind that one. Of course we'd like photos of all points of interest too so I won't bother asking :D

The cockpit shower would be an absolute mst in the tropics. How much water will you be able to carry with you? Do you have provisions for capturing rainwater in the works or are you intending to add one of those 240lpd watermakers?

Yeah, I always go back to it but that is fantastic stainless work you have there. The photos Bill has posted here are the ones I'm taking to the local fabricators around here so they get the right idea on what it's supposed to look like.

Your galley is inspirational! What more can anyone say? I may need to rethink what I'm doing here. From all of the books and photographs I've collected, your galley looks as prepared for offshore work as the best I've ever seen. Wow.

Who has the secret for that flawless, 'wrapped' cabin sole. It makes the interior look wider and gives a great visual field. Is it plywood or solid wood laid in place.

I'm sure I'll revisit these photos and come up with more questions, but that's it for now. Just remember, while you're loungin' in the shade this summer, it's -24C here and the wind chill is around -40C. :eek: What am I doing here!?! All the best for you Geoff.

Tony G

Bill
01-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Time for a few photo updates from down under. The stern rail Geoff added was shown in post #63. Here is another look:

Bill
01-07-2005, 05:43 PM
A couple of posts back, there is a photo of someone on the foredeck holding what might be a bow sprit. Well, it was and here's the the first stage of production:

Bill
01-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Note the new base for the "sprit"

Bill
01-07-2005, 05:46 PM
More sprit showing the forestay fitting

Bill
01-07-2005, 05:48 PM
More progress on the sprit -- dual rollers and a windless . . .

Bill
01-07-2005, 05:49 PM
From below . .

Bill
01-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Another sprit view

Bill
01-07-2005, 05:50 PM
The windless drive . .

Bill
01-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Some trim additions to the engine bay

Bill
01-07-2005, 05:53 PM
This galley photo shows the pin rail and backing above the port quater berth

Bill
01-07-2005, 05:54 PM
And another view of the "new" bottom!

Bill
01-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Geoff included a note with the latest bunch of photos. Here is most of it . .

>>>>

Thanks for sending the news. . . great to hear UHURU did the trip under her own steam. Re: Ebb comments on the boat's interior. He recons it's the best in the world. He wants to know how we trecked nto the forest and selected the best trees, etc., :)

Truth be known, I just had a picture in my head. I did all the donkey work and Frank the shipwright and his offsider Craig did the fine joinery. They made the sow's ear of a job into a silk purse.

Frank has been my lighthouse on a dark and storym night on many occasions. I can rummage through his scrap pile any time and pinch bits of paint, etc., instead of buying a full tin. He's been great all through the project. Not so the other contractors in the boatyard. Lot's of trouble with them and an indifferent slack owner woh I would dearly like to pick a fight with :mad:

I haven't been to the boat for any lenght of time since since late November. We did manage to fit the anchor winch and bow rollers. I have a date with the "sparks" on 10 Jan to do the wiring, put lights where they have to go, etc. She should come alive and out of her coma some time in January, all being well. It will be good to have power aboard, solar panels working, etc.

I have wrote to Tony Benado. What a buzz. I had to appologise fer calling him a crazy yank :p

Oh yes, getting the old anti-fouling off was a difficult job. It clogged up everything we were using, so we were reduced to chipping it off with wood chisels. Good in a way because the hull below the water line got a thorough going over. That job should have been "first cab off the rank" as soon as she was in the yard. Once we started grinding, damp patches would appear out of the freshly ground glass. All solid now with the full epoxy treatment.

No where near as fair as Ebb's bottom -- sorry, Ebb's boat's botom :D

Bill
03-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Leigh Dennis, a friend of Geoff's, writes:

Geoff has asked me to pass on some messages, He has not been to his boat since October last year. His good mate, Roy Booty became ill, and Geoff was caring for him. I am sad to say our old skipper passed away in January and we have found life a trifle difficult to deal with, especially Geoff. His boat is being completed by contractors and he hopes to visit her on Friday of this week. Also the heat at this time of year is only bearable if you are sitting in front of a fan 24/7, that is unless you are a "Colonial" as Geoff puts it (the cheek of the Poms). Geoff hopes to have Uhuru back in the water in about a month.

Now for some colonial humour:

After reading some of the notes on the threads you told me about, can we make a comment on 'Geoff is just outside of Brisbane', we could only wish - to get to Brisbane from here it is about 8 hours and a petrol stop. Geoff is actually in Yeppoon ( closest city being Rockhampton) on the central Queensland coast, next to Shoalwater Bay, military traing ground. Uhuru is at present in Gladstone about 2 hours south of Rockhampton.

To put our skipper to rest, a fleet of yachts are heading north to Pearl Bay, about 50km, on arrival they are having a small ceremony and scattering of the ashes. We have a special guest arriving from England (Roy's daughter) for her final goodbye, Geoff is praying Uhuru will be ready to go.

To date Geoff has not got any more photo's, but will get back to it soon.

Bill
04-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Another update:

Geoff is hoping to have Uhuru back in the water by the 29th May, so he can farwell the "Skipper" (Geoff's close friend who died recently) at Pearl Bay. Geoff is now at the wiring stage, to do list includes the painting of the deck, putting on the sail tracks and the decking hardware.

Photos and progress reports are promised . . .

Bill
11-20-2005, 10:24 AM
It's been some time since we posted anything from Geoff, but beginning in October of 2005, circumstances intervened that slowed his boat related activities. Here is a transcription of Geoff’s September letter.

= = = = = = = = = =

G'day Bill,

Mate, I don’t have much to report boat wise. My old mate got sick last October and I moved in with him to look after him until he died in January. I took on the job of executor of the will. Never again! will I put my hand up for that job, still sorting through it.

I've had 3 lots of overseas visitors, the last lot left last week, a dear cousin I grew up with in England and her daughter’s family. Absolutely delightful, but no work on the boat, and I've spent my winches and deck hardware on a good time playing tourist - HA!

I have been trying to get work done in my absence, but I keep getting shafted. I told this marine electric mob to wire the boat, fit the radio, etc. The quote was A$2,300 up front and about A$1,000 to finish.

The bastard only asked for A$4,225 and finally settled for A$3,600. How the bloody hell can a bloke budget with that sort of "stuff" going down? I just wanted to punch him, but it hurts my hand when I make a fist . . HA!

Anyway, I"ve paid the sod and I have offered the bank my left testicle and they have agreed to finance the "gallop to the finish line."

The latest photos are on the enclosed CD, but the boat is a bit of a shambles at the moment. We had to take the plate racks out to fit the wiring and plumbing, drill holes, etc. Would you believe the electrician has billed me for a hole saw? Well, the solar panels are charging everything, I can talk on the radio, instruments work and the anchor winch winches. (What a great addition. Push a button and up comes the anchor.)

My mobile home has cost me A$5,000 and six weeks in time. The air-con broke down and I blew a piston on the way back from the boat yard – cracked right through, just acted as an oil pump. Should’a seen the smoke – but I still had to drive it home, fill up the oil and check the fuel. HA!

So, it’s been a hell of a year so far. Busy, busy, busy. I have a house sitting job for a few weeks, then I will get back to the boat, slap some non skid on the decks, anti-foul her bum and chuck her in, unfinished. The main priority is to bet her out of that poxy boat yard. We can motor a fair way home up through the narrows between Curtis Island and the mainland. It's just African Queen country, dries out at low tied, crocks, mozzies, and flies, the lot. But, a sheltered trip. By then, we will have rigged a sail somehow. That’s the plan, anyway.

I still have to screw the hatches down (hinges & catches) and secure the batteries. I have lights that work, but are not mounted, no gas to the cooker and a 101 other bits and pieces. But like I say, priority one is get her out of the boatyard and back into home waters, a friendly yacht club and friendly faces.

The CD includes some photos of our sailing trip to Pear Bay where we interned my mates ashes. His daughter and grand-daughter flew out from England to make the trip. Roy would be happy there. No roads into the place. Seaworthy vessel access only.

The boat we took to Pearl Bay is a Mohle 33. Most of them have a center cockpit. This one is different.

Thanks for the ongoing interest in me and my boat. The association burgee is still flying from the starboard spreader . .. All the best, Geoff

[Posting of Geoff’s photos shortly . . .]

Bill
11-20-2005, 12:58 PM
The following photos from Geoff mainly track some of the wiring efforts. For example we have:

Bill
11-20-2005, 12:58 PM
And on to . . .

Bill
11-20-2005, 12:59 PM
And more wire

Bill
11-20-2005, 01:00 PM
It continues on . . .

Bill
11-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Some more wire . . .

Bill
11-20-2005, 01:01 PM
And still more wire

Bill
11-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Then, of course, there is the battery . . .

Bill
11-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Another look at the battery . . .

Bill
11-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Here's the locker holding (another?) battery . . .

Bill
11-20-2005, 01:09 PM
That's it for now. Since it's approaching summer down under, that usually means little progress on the boat. There may be another pause before we have more photos to post.

Bill
04-12-2006, 12:55 PM
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Leigh Dennis, Geoff’s friend, writes:

As you have probably guessed, nothing much has changed. Geoff hopes to get back to the UHURU in a couple of weeks. Shouldn't be too long before he is sailing the seas again. After last reply Geoff got inundated with visitors from England. One was his skipper’s (the one that died) daughter and granddaughter so nothing was accomplished for the month they were here. Then his cousin, daughter and her family arrived for 6 weeks. After they left the cousin’s sister arrived. Now they have all gone and things started quieting down.

I went along and had a car accident, which kept Geoff here for longer. Due to my injuries he has stayed around in case I needed help. But I am trying to get him up and going, by saying I need a rest away from hospitals and people. The answer to this in my opinion is to take me sailing away from everything. Not so subtle but seems to be working.

Any change and I will be shouting it to the world, with you guys hearing from over there.

Bill
07-20-2006, 10:26 PM
We've received a letter from Geoff along with some photos. They should be edited and ready for posting shortly.

Following up on Leigh's situation, she recently wrote:

I returned home from Brisbane Hospital yesterday, in a lot of pain but thankful to be home. The recovery will be okay, I surprised myself with what I can tolerate, so everything is good. Geoff picked us up and is returning to the boatyard today. He has written letters to everyone, just to catch up, so keep your eyes on the mailbox. Catch up with you later, as part of the recovery I am to stay away from computers.
Leigh

Bill
07-21-2006, 01:57 PM
We had a long hot summer - wet, hot and humid. I can't work in that so I had 4 months off just surviving the heat.

Started work on the boat again in April and have made good, solid progress since. The last photos I sent were of the chaos of wiring. That has been tidied up and it’s all systems go. The fridge runs, all instruments work and we got up to six knots in the cradle with my mate under the boat spinning the knot meter’s impeller. The boat feels alive now with the lights blazing at night and traffic on the VHF.

The decks got painted with two coats of epoxy high build paint, and then two coats of an epoxy 2-part gloss paint. The non-skid was then painted with a rubber industrial covering that is used on buildings, but also makes an excellent non-skid surface. Paint it on, wait a few minutes until tacky and then roll over it very lightly with a long nap roller. It stipples up really nice. I used the longest mohair roller I could find. The non-skid was still wet and could not be walked on when I left, but I can now declare the decks "finished?."

It’s a bit of a "dogs breakfast" when you look at the whole painting job and there's lots of tidying up to be done. Looks great if you stand back 30 feet and squint :o The first hiccup came when putting on the gloss topcoat. The job ended too late and the dew got it. Needless to say it’s not "gloss" now. There were also problems with the masking tape, both applying and removing. Some places it worked and some places it didn't. As a result, there is the good, the bad and the down right ugly. All I can say is that she has plenty of paint on her and she’s at least waterproof. At least no deck leaks (you can see where they’ve been, tho).

I'm halfway through tying down the batteries. Shelves with an edge molding for the batteries were built into the cockpit lockers. I still need to add a line of "saddles" top and bottom and then lash the batteries into place.

Another task is to get the cockpit shower pipe through a bulkhead and connected. Same with the bilge pump outlet pipe. It goes through a bulkhead and then through the transom. And, I need some sort of "O" ring for the rudder shaft pipe.

The sails are ready to bend on, but not until she is in the water. Then it will be fitting sail track, blocks, etc.

I am restoring an old laminated tiller. It could be the original. I had the tiller head fitting re-engineered to go outward instead of inward. I then put plywood cheeks on the tiller to fit, bogged the shoulders and wrapped it in two layers of glass, epoxy high build as an undercoat and epoxy gloss top coat. I left the handle part bare and varnished it. Feels like a delicate tiller when in the hand, but very strong.

The project really is nearly at an end. I have already discussed launching with the boat yard, so I hope the next set of photos I send are of the launching.

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:00 PM
The wiring is finished . . .

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Hatches closed . . .

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Electrical panel . . .

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Close up . . .

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Looking aft . . .

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Cockpit view . . .

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Boom placement . . .

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:09 PM
View of stern and caravan . . .

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Geoff varnishing . . .

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:11 PM
Sunset over the bow . . .

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Restored tiller handle . . .

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Tiller fitting - top side . . .

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Tiller fitting - under side . . .

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:17 PM
. First, I put a single latch in the middle of the hatch (similar to original). Worked well, but it wouldn’t really dog down the hatch because of the curve of the hatch coaming.

Next, I put a catch on each end, but the hatch stay hit the port side catch so I moved it slightly inboard. Well, that worked, but it put everything under strain and it was ugly. I changed the style of catches from the lever type (no adjustment except to reposition the catches) to the the screw down types. Works lovely, but ow I have 18 unused holes in the hatch coaming and nine in the hatch itself. Using a piece of western red cedar, I fashioned a nice shape to go all the way across. Should look good and work well.

Here is the holey lid . . .

Bill
07-21-2006, 02:18 PM
And here is the open hatch . . . old latches.

Bill
07-24-2006, 08:43 AM
That's it for this posting session. Let's hope Geoff gets some good shots of the launching . . .

[For Geoff's recent activities, see Geoff's Party Photos in the Events forum.]

Bill
12-11-2006, 07:56 PM
The latest report from our Aussie correspondent, Geoff Flydes arrived back at the end of October. A bit late getting it posted do to our Med cruise and recovery (posted elsewhere), happening just after we got the letter. We'll begin with some updates on the interior starting with the final version of the forward hatch (see post 144 above)

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:02 PM
"When I modernized – or changed – the plumbing, it didn’t occur to me that I could mount the freshwater pump upside down. That eliminated the need for a floor in the little compartment and the elimination of all those elbows, hose clamps and potential leaks. All the stiff I took out is spread in front of the job."

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Here's the tele and power station and the tele and the stbd bunk . .

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:07 PM
The head cover down and up . .

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Here's Geoff getting the bottom ready for launch . . .

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Now begins the launch sequence . . . crain me up ;)

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:17 PM
And onto the "trailer" for transport to the launch ramp . . .

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:20 PM
"Well, I finally launched UHURU with the words, “I return UHURU to her element, Gold bless her and all who sail in her.” Then I smashed a bottle of “Champers’” on her bow, climbed aboard and in she went . . ."

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:22 PM
"We warped UHURU over to the fuel wharf and tried to fill her up with diesel."

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:25 PM
"We filled her up OK, but it was with sea water. I had left the engine raw water intake seacock open and the pipe not connected to the engine. :eek:

Yikes! (not quite the word used) – We’re sinking – Get those cowardly women and children out of the way – Save the crew! The good new is, the bilge pump works perfectly :o

"Hey, there's water down here . . ."

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:28 PM
"The next shock came when we tried to fill the fuel tank. The breather system didn’t breath and we couldn’t get the screw-in inspection hatch to un-screw. We couldn’t fill the tank, so no engine. Since we couldn’t mess about on the fuel wharf, we used the dingy to move UHURU to a marina pen."

Here comes the rescue dinghy . . .

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Towing UHURU to a "pen" . .

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:32 PM
"Next, when the sailmaker arrived to fit the new sails, he found that he had used the wrong set of measurements. He had made the sails for some other boat!:mad:

As you can imagine, things at this point were definitely not going well. And, I was due shortly to sail in the annual “boy’s only” cruise to “Swains Reef.” [The reef is 120 miles out and some of it still not surveyed.]"

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:36 PM
And the frig was already loaded . . .:cool:

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:39 PM
"As if this were not enough, or should I say, because of all this, I had a heart attack while at the marina. :eek: The 000 call (that’s our emergency number) brought an ambulance which took me straight into Gladstone hospital. From there I was taken to Brisbane for surgery to clear a serious blockage and have a stent inserted. If UHURU had been ready to sail to the Swains, I would have certainly died out there.

"I'm now recovering a bit and have the go ahead to drive and do “light air sailing,” so me and my mate will be getting back to UHURU next week and try to solve some of her problems. There are still sail track and winches to fit and hopefully I can get UHURU out of that expensive marina pen without killing myself. On a positive note, the sailmaker says everything will be finished by the end of the week. And to make up for his "stuff up," he will fit lazy jacks and a boom bag into which the sail just drops."

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:45 PM
"UHURU looks OK, don’t you think? The “helipad” and doghouse don’t look too out of place? She floats well to her marks, tanks empty and no supplies or personal stuff on board. She is a bit high, level in spite of the weight in the bow. I’m happy. BTW - The boat weighed in at 2.9 ton. I was surprised."

Forepeak mattress

Bill
12-11-2006, 08:46 PM
"As I’ve mentioned before, trial and error and pure determination to get things to work is my style, no training, no education to speak of as far as boats are concerned. The only things that I’m not happy with on board, have been done by so called tradesman. My work might be a bit rough, but it works. I now have to fix what the shipwright installed and tidy up stuff that should be already tidy. A mate, who is some sort of technician, looked over my wiring and asked, “are you sure an electrician did this? He must have used an apprentice.” Oh well, I’m alive and my boat is floating. I’m not complaining and even if I was, it wouldn’t make me a bad person - :D

"Well mates, you’re up to date. The plan now is to take UHURU up through the “narrows” (think African Queen country) and into the Fitzroy river where she will be put on a mooring. I will then go out to the gem fields and potter about at my mates mine looking for emeralds and sapphires. I hope to get rich while I’m recuperating!"

ebb
01-14-2007, 08:09 AM
We're looking at photos but realty would be more revealing.
Not sure who did what inside UHURU but the shipwright couldn't have done much wrong
- we have here some of the finest smallboat interior carpentry imaginable.

I have not seen, for example, this treatment of the cabin sole befor, clever and absolutely beautyful! (pg 10/147 - pg 7/93/94/95)
To me the shipwright saw the interior job as a whole and hardly missed a lick. Working for an owner is always difficult, especially with strong personalities involved.

'This ain't no grand piano!' we used so say. But UHURU, down below, comes pretty close.:D

To be candid, Geoff's dodger cab has taken time for me to get used to. Latest group of pictures from various angles have helped me accept it as part of the whole Ariel. It adds a huge amount of livability to a tiny boat, nearly doubling the living space. Not hard to imagine surveying a chaotic storm - with a mug of strong steaming tea in hand - from under the protection of the porch.
I've noticed that yacht designers when faced with the dodger vs streamlining simply make the dodger a darker color. Sunbrella blue is often their way out. Disappears to the eye against the lighter color of the cabin.

Bill
02-13-2009, 04:00 PM
It's been a bit over two years since we last heard from Geoff, but a letter arrived today. We'll transcribe and post the pertinent parts shortly. "Stay'en alive" is the word, while progress on UHURU has remained in stasis during Geoff's recovery from his heart attack.

Bill
02-14-2009, 12:21 PM
G’day,

I haven’t put pen to paper for over a year. In fact I haven’t been doing much at all since I had my heart attack, not much fun are they. I got a stent in the L.A.D. I then went on to develop internal abscesses and got a blood condition – white cells too big and too many of ‘em. Lymphocemia something or other – so I’ve been a bit crook, but I’m coming good now.

I’ve been working all year on my old mobile home, a Toyota Coaster bus, 92 model LWB. I have been fixing rust, sprucing her up for sale. I have nearly finished it. I will sell it and move onto my boat full time.

The boat is in pen H22 Gladstone marina. She is covered in coal dust from the huge coal loading facility close to the harbour and has a coral reef on her bum. There is a bloke in the marina will dive on her and scrub her for $100. I want to get her up to Rosslyn Bay Harbour as soon as pos’ and out to the islands. I can run a mainsail only at the moment. Not deck gear for a jib and I still have to fit winches. I’ve got two new 2-speed winches, so the plan is to get the engine started, which is pretty involved. I have to cut open a seized aluminum inspection part on top of the tank and sort out the filler-breather problem. Then I can put to sea motor sailing with main only. I will probably head up the Fitzroy River and pick up a mooring to fit the deck gear and winches and I will save $540 a month in marina fees. It was $520 – then $540 and now it’s gone up again. But! I have to sell my old bust first to make it all happen.

It costs money to be crook and between doctors, surgeons and the boat I’m a pauper until I sell my bus.

The gem mine was a non event. Bit of a cock up all round, but a stroke of luck as it happened. The gem fields got more rain than they have ever had, the whole place got washed out and the mine I was going to buy was made unworkable “like start again.” I am still interested in doing it, but I will get on my boat first and wait until my projected disposable income of $1,000 per month add up a bit - HA!

I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. I have E-mail and send and received my first E-mail the other day. I can’t type and the letters are not in order, HA! I will take a typing course.

The year started crook for me. I had to have a cyst cut out from under my thumb nail. I had a huge wound to the bone which had to be packed every other day so I spent most of January something like – (drawing of huge thumb) so I didn’t get much done. The weather isn’t helping. It’s 8:00 AM at the moment and the temp is 30c (85f) with 78% humidity. The worst it’s been this summer is 41.5c and 80-90% humidity, mid to high 30's every day. Sweat drips onto your work in buckets and runs into your eyes, so things are moving pretty slow at the moment.

All the best to you all, sorry again about the long silence. Do you know I have never seen the association’s Website? I’m not Fick. I’m just uneducated. HA! See-ya, Geoff.

Bill
05-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Geoff just appeared on Face Book:

"Been sailing. No phone. No tv. No worries. Sorry for the delay. Happy Easter, Xmas, and birthdays."

We've requested more information . . . :o

Bill
05-09-2017, 09:56 PM
I am writing on behalf of Geoff Fyldes, owner of the late Pearson Aerial yacht "Uhuru".

Recently in our area of Australia we had cyclone Debbie and the consequence of this, was major flooding to 3 States in Australia.

During the flood of the Fitzroy River, Uhuru sank along with 3 other yachts.

So far the recovery has not started. But she is a total loss, Geoff is fine baring the loss.I am writing due to your interest in the rebuilding etc of Uhuru a few years back and to keep you informed.

Thank you
Leigh Dennis
(friend of Geoff and Uhuru)

ebb
05-10-2017, 05:31 AM
Leigh, great that Geoff is OK. That Uhuru is gone is hard to take.

Maybe by some miracle she'll still be rescued.

Cyclone Debbie appeared in the beginning of April.

About a month ago.

Floods should have entirely receded by now

and Uhuru on the hard. Can only hope.

Uhuru is still very important to us all.

Geoff too, of course!:D