PDA

View Full Version : A - 205 Sirocco Has a New Owner

Esperanza
11-01-2016, 12:44 PM
My wife and I recently discovered the Pearson Ariel. We fell in love with number A - 205 currently name Sirocco. She became ours a few weeks ago and we've been cleaning and polishing ever since. She's in great shape thanks to the extensive refurbishment carried out by Jon Keary in 2011. She has had one owner since Jon sold her in 2013. I believe that Jon acquired her from a man named Joe who bought this lovely boat from Steve Airing. Joe brought the Sirocco to Oklahoma. My wife and I would love to know more of her history, so if anyone knows about her past please let us know.

We plan on enjoying time on Lake Oologah with our vintage sailboat. Please indulge us as we intend to change her name from Sirocco to Esperanza. My future posts will refer to our boat as the Esperanza. This sailboat represents our HOPE (Esperanza in Spanish) as my wife and I recover from a serious auto accident that left her with a repaired aorta and a paralyzed vocal cord and diaphragm. For my part I've got to have four cervical vertebra fused before I'm back to full strength. That's scheduled for next Monday, November 7. We HOPE to be on the lake this Spring as members of the local sailing club.

We are happy to be a new member of the Ariel/Commander Association.

Lucky Dawg
11-05-2016, 01:26 PM
Welcome Esperanza! And holy moley - y'all deserve a relaxing sail! I'd be curious if you make some modifications to your new Ariel for making her easy on your back. Lucky Dawg doesn't have a furling jib - which is probably responsible for most of my leaping around on deck. You might check out Mike's C227 - he's attributed it to being a lazy sailor (!) but he has (very non-lazily) added things like a self-tacking jib boom, lines all run to one spot, etc. http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?1803-Commander-227/page4

Congrats on joining the A/C family and post some pix when you can!

ebb
11-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Welcome. Hope you give us some more of this well-loved sloop.

You have of course read the A205 Airing's and Jon's adventures in upgrade in the Gallery
here.
Hope you are able to share your experiences sailing an Ariel from a therapeudic aspect.

I'm for one very interested in how you manage lines and winches, EG... your observations

and solutions. ...Don't think I'm the only one who needs to be sailing right now ! !

You have (still?) a bit of A338 in Sirocco. Her hatch boards formerly were A338's. :D

Hope you're on a quiet reach as we speak.....

mbd
11-10-2016, 08:06 PM
On a personal note, Sirocco was THE Ariel that got me hooked when I started looking for my "bigger boat". In fact, when I had a pushpit fabricated for my Ariel, I studied pics of Sirocco's and had it styled the same way...

If you enter "Sirocco" in the search box in the top right of your screen, you will come up with all sorts of threads where your wonderful boat is mentioned - many of them by me, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Congrats, good health, and welcome aboard!

Lucky Dawg
11-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Not sure how in 10 years on this board I've never looked at A205 details!

I have an extra Commander logo like this - I dig this placement!

And... I like this simple toilet set-up. Might have to add some sort of "don't crush a kid" support addition to the hinge - rather than just a hook on the ceiling.