PDA

View Full Version : Squall's On the Chesapeake

SkipperJer
08-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Here's the view of the starting line for last night's race where the Patapsco River meets the Chesapeake Bay near Baltimore. I turned around on the way to the start as painful memories of last year's all night rough ride in the Governor's Cup tingled up and down my aging spine. Feeling a bit cowardly, I told the crew, "I'm buying us all beers--we're going in." After 40 minutes crews from the other boats started showing up in the same bar. The fleet abandoned the race after the start when the race course took them directly into one of these squalls.

Tony G
08-24-2015, 10:53 AM
That is a great photo. Not every day is sunshine and gentle breezes, and your photo above epitomizes the other kind of summer day we remember. Thanks for the shot Skipper!

Caferacer59
09-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Did you get out there Saturday?, boy it was really blowing, steady 15 knots and then some from 10 am until about 2 pm. Got overpowered pretty good once (keep on learning!). I got surprised a bit when I dumped the main to even things up but man she just kept going over till i rounded up some.

A friend farther south on the Bay (south river area) stated that they had 25 knots and 5 foot seas.

I believe I saw Pearson Ariel hull 181 out and about on Saturday.

Also, pulled 417 out and had the bottom painted for the first time under my ownership by the guys at Oak Harbor still looked pretty good but glad to get it done (2 years to the month from previous owner).

SkipperJer
09-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Entered the Maryland Yacht Club Challenge pursuit race last Friday night. With our rating (Chesapeake PHRF 252) we started first. Light winds. A 30 footer with a cat rig that started 13th almost seven minutes behind us rolled the field and came in first. We came in second. Nice party at MYC after.

Bill
09-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Any photos?

SkipperJer
09-04-2015, 06:19 AM
Sorry. Too busy sailing.

Caferacer59
09-04-2015, 08:54 AM
great sailing weather forecast for this weekend. Looking forward to a beautiful fall!

FR-Alex
09-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Seems like you did the right thing turning around...