PDA

View Full Version : Waterspouts and all that

Theis
10-03-2002, 07:27 PM
This is a website you have to check out. These are pictures, along with the story of a whole bunch of waterspouts in northern Lake Michigan this past summer. These pictures are ones to put in your permanent file.

http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~sbbc/waterspout.html

Janice Collins
10-04-2002, 03:39 AM
Nauti Twisters, that's what I call them .

I tried t o locate the photo I took here that came too close for comfort

The first time I saw one, it was only about a qurter mile away.
To say I experienced anxiety would be putting it mildly.

They say you are to sail perpendicular and away. to best avoid them.

We encountered a row of them, we counted 8 in various stages of formation, some fullly formed, others half way down, some just starting,. Quite the show.

Theis
10-04-2002, 07:51 AM
I had one pass by me many years ago, not sure what it was. I thought they only occurred in the open ocean, particularly around Asia. It sounded like a freight train, as I recall.

But, I haven't heard of anyone getting caught in one (Maybe no one survived to tell the story, I don't know). All I've heard regarding avoidance, is get the sails down.

Mike Goodwin
10-04-2002, 11:36 AM
I saw 3 drop out of the sky in August 1986 when we were sailing down Chesapeake Bay , they passed about 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead of us . we were under storm jib and reefed mizzen ( yawl ) & we were still surfing beyond hull speed .

Mike Goodwin
10-04-2002, 02:11 PM
I cant find my pictures , but it looked just like this from the storm , Lili , down in the gulf !

Janice Collins
10-04-2002, 06:08 PM
These kinds of twisters are probably responsible for boats lost in the Bermuda Triangle, what do you think?

Theis
10-07-2002, 08:21 AM
I think it is a combination of the heavy volume of boat traffic, a sensationalist press, the neat sound of the term "Bermuda Triangle" more than any one type of weather.

MarkCreeker
10-07-2002, 10:29 AM
No No! It's extra-terrestrials - part of their plan for the domination of Earth. Wrap your head in aluminum foil, so they can't read your mind...

commanderpete
10-07-2002, 02:00 PM
This guy was drifting around out there for 74 days. He's so nuts even the aliens didn't want him.

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/10/05/TampaBay/Rescued_sailor_remain.shtml