PDA

View Full Version : I am pretty sure this is an age old story.

Caferacer59
07-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Well all, and to Mike of Sea Glass: I did not follow your advice on reefing and that was clearly a mistake. My Wife and I have been out with the kids on pretty mellow days but last Sunday was different. The hurricane had passed up the coast 2 days earlier and we had always been out in 5-10 kt days in the past. The forecast said 10 for the day, but it was more like 15 and stronger once we got out 2-3 miles into the Chesapeake, it was also unsettled and would come from all over. The boat of course loved it, but I needed a reef and my Genoa was probably too big. I managed to scare my wife pretty good with 25 degree healing. I was feathering into the wind and trying to dump gusts with the main sheet, but I wasn't exactly smooth. With 2 little kids on board, it was a bit much to manage in a relaxed manner. Tomorrow, I put in reefs at the dock.... My wife repeating the f bomb, was a clue that the healing was not her cup of tea while watching 2 little ones, we also made "nervous mistakes" like wrapping the jib sheet backwards on the winch while tacking...ugh. Hey, its all part of the tour, but I wish i didn't scare my wife - - she was really getting into it, I'll need to get them back to the 5-8 knot days for a while and save the other days for me and my mates...

mbd
07-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Ha! Yes, the youngsters love sailing with the rail down - not so much the first mates. You'll be surprised at how well these boats sail when reefed down. My favorite sail combination is my 100 jib and 1 reef in the main. Of course my main is old and baggy, so reefing really flattens it out. I'm not a left coaster like a lot of the pros on here who think about reefing at 20 MPH, but if it's blowing 10 MPH or so, I'm happy to reef her down and sail flatter and more relaxed...

Lucky Dawg
07-10-2014, 08:24 PM
I set the record at the Indiana University Yacht Club on Lake Lemon for 36 capsizes in one blustery afternoon. Unpredictably 0 kts - 36kts and from every compass point. I was just trying to get my freaking Laser back to the dock. In the end, I lost my rudder and had to be picked up by the club staff. It was miserable... and occasionally outstanding depending on the moment.

Sailing (and sailboat restoration, by the way) is an ongoing lesson in humility.

Glad everyone is OK. I reassure my bride (often) and new sailors "We're just heeling. It would take a hurricane to actually knock this boat over" but 25* heel might make them doubt that.

Caferacer59
07-11-2014, 07:11 AM
At the end of the day all was fine, but its a reminder that constant humility (even more so while learning) can be your friend. It seems things can go south fast if you outpace your ability.

Caferacer59
08-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Well, I just got very lucky and was offered a never used HP310 dinghy for less than half of retail, so i am off to pick that up this weekend. I am searching for a small motor and then its off to Rock Hall MD, and the surrounding environs for a fri-sun adventure. It seems all inflatables have their critics, but given the diminutive size of my Ariel, this non rigid floor boat rolls up compactly to be popped into the car or even stored in the v-berth so it seem like a good choice.

Do any Chespeake bay based folks have any advice on marinas, or hotel choices while we are in the Rock hall area? I am reading trip advisor etc.. so can make an informed choice but if you have a favorite let me know.

Also any line on a reliable small 4 stroke for the dinghy would be great. I would love a torqueedo but those little motors are pricey!